1961 Land-Rover Series II

Apparently prof Balzhazar is to busy. Your answer will come, no worries.
But how do find such a gasifier? Old, new?

5 Likes

This Land Rover topic made me think of an oldish movie. a portion of it involves getting a yard rebuild LR working. The clip I’m posting is very poor quality but I found the whole movie enjoyable back when it came out.

8 Likes

Hi Michael, im going to check my gasifier history collection, it’s a good guess i may be Volvo, it looks like cross-draft? Volvo used that a lot, air nozzle from the side, and gas out close to ash door.
Maybe model “Volvo Minor”.
Edit: not early or late volvo minor.
Would be interesting to see the nozzle setup.

7 Likes

You have misunderstood. My ultimate plan is to gassify the V8. right now I am building a small 5kW utility gasifier for my small engines- all alloy head honda type

9 Likes

Just wanted to say welcome Michael :smiley:

14 Likes

I do have some woodgas contacts in germany and so i bought it last year. It was in a rusty condition, so to say, but after sandblasting, it looks like a new one. The greatest challenge was to open the ash door, because of the rust, but with some oil inside the generator i made it.

9 Likes

Here is a photo about the nozzle setup, there are two nozzles with an 19mm hole and about 40mm diameter, i think it is made of normal steel, i will see how long the nozzles would work well. I also plan to use a exhaust return to cool down the reaction, as shown by Gary Gilmore. I also tested the exhaust return at my charcoal gas generator project, with great sucess.

10 Likes

Sorry @blazing.stoves,
i tought that you are already driving a Landrover with woodgas
 If you are building a generator unit with small engines, you may start with charcoal gas. I think you can use your gasifier with charcoal or wood, if you are using stainless steel nozzles. I beginned with charcoal gas because the cleaning and filtering is much easier than with wood, because there is no tar in the gas. I may test wood gas later, but for now i am pretty happy with charcoal gas. I also build a charcoal processing reactor, for my homemade charcoal production. If you need more information about my charcoal generator, just let me know.

Kind regards,
Michael

14 Likes

Hi Michael , that charcoal reactor looks like a "Hookway " Design type , does it have a center pipe that cooks the wood all around and then vents the wood gas back down into the port at the bottom ?
Would really like to see the inside of your Gasifier with the nozzles in place when you get a chance .
Cheers Dave

8 Likes