2009 f150 4.6l v8 on wood gas

Khush there is a free library on the website, and also you can browse what people have created here on the forum to get an idea of how to adapt those concepts to your truck.

Take a picture of your engine compartment and your throttle body, I can help strategize with you for routing the gas.

3 Likes

Everything is included when you buy the book " Have Wood Will Travel". This shows you how to build a WK Gasifer, also there are videos on all the steps involved. Well worth the premium price.
Bob

6 Likes

Thanks Cody for timely replies. I will buy the book as well. Here are some pictures of my truck engine bay. It has multiport fuel injection system.

The fuel line comes from driver side and enters the fuel rail.

2 Likes

You will most likely need to find your fuel pump fuse, and intercept that wire and add a switch and PWM. The PWM will let you hybrid the system for pulling hills and whatnot. The switch is just to completely shut the pump off

Your throttle body is in a convenient location, and the intake hose has those “sound dampeners” tumors attached, you can plumb in the woodgas on those ports.

2 Likes

Sorry if I sound stupid, so I should the kill switch for fuel pump? And then also intercept the fuel pump wire to add PWM.

Intake hose for throttle body you mean? Can I just bring in wood gas straight to this hose and then just keep the air to wood gas ratio 1:1 and run the mixture straight through throttle body?

2 Likes

Yes the woodgas goes before the throttle body, after the air filter and your Mass Air Flow Sensor. You still need a butterfly style damper for the fresh air to richen the mixture.

Also yes, you have a kill switch and a PWM on that wire. If you want to hybrid, you leave the switch On and dial in with the PWM. The switch is more or less for redundancy.

You should be able to inspect at this intake hose/snorkel and see if the branch circled here is open. I believe these are sound dampeners to reduce engine noise.

The engine directly pulls on the gasifier system creating the draft, that’s how it operates. It’s under negative pressure, or vacuum, instead of positive pressure like LPG and Natural Gas. Beauty of this is when the engine stops, it stops the process.

3 Likes

Your not as stupid as I am Khush. I don’t have a clue about what a PWM looks like. I had to look up the initials just to know what cody is talking about.

Khush; I think we are getting the “cart before the horse”. You need to go to the “Library” and start reading, and while you are at it pick out postings about peoples builds and read/study all of those you can, all while you wait foor the Driving on Wood book. TomC

3 Likes

PWM is just the fancy pants way to refer to what Wayne or Bobmac would colloquially call a Rheostat.

2 Likes

Ok. Rheostat. I understand. So you are installing a rheostat between the fuel pump and the fuel rail ? I’m missing something here.

1 Like

Just the pump power wire. I don’t know much about Fords so I’m not sure if they have a fuse for the entire injector group like I can find on most GM vehicles.

I know Gary Gilmore used the inertia switch in his later model Ranger but that shuts the whole fuel system off, no room to Hybrid.

1 Like

PWM pulse width modulation. We are putting short bursts of 12v power to the fuel pump to limit the amount of fuel it pumps. Unlike a reostat that reduces the voltage to the pump all the time and may cause overheating issues we are giving the pump full voltage just limiting the amount of time it gets that power. Hope this helps

6 Likes

Thanks for feedback Tom, I will reading up on it more.

3 Likes

Is it a similar car as Jonas from Sweden, that you have?

1 Like

Hi JanA,
Khushwinders Ford pickup is 3-4 generations newer designed differently from Jonas’s “Flatfaced” 1989-90 Ford pickup truck.
Jonas’s has a 7.5L (460) V-8 engine with a single in block camshaft and a “banked” activated fuel injection system. Two injector pulses per every four strokes. Two valves per cylinder. His is a heavier chassis. With a heavy duty four speed automatic transmission.

Khushwinders smaller 4.6L V-8 is a three valves per cylinder with a single overhead camshaft for each cylinder bank. His has a true one injector pulse per every four strokes system. Khushwinder intake manifold is injection molded plastic.
Jonas’s 460 V-8 intake is cast aluminum metal.
Khushwinders transmission will be a five speed automatic.
Khushwinders engine-transmission electronic control system is at least two generations newer different.
Jonas’s is OBD I.
Khushwinder’s is a 2nd generation OBD II.

Steve unruh

2 Likes

Ok, I know Jonas has a problem with resetting the ignition on his, hope it is not the same.

Thanks Tom. That makes more sense. My FI vehicles require at least 50psi for the injectors to work or at least that’s my understanding. I couldn’t see how reducing current to the pump would work. I’ll have to go back through the threads and better understand why just turning the pump on and off would not just supply fuel when needed or letting the pump run normally returning gas through the return line to the tank until the injectors are powered on. I’m a carb guy. Electronics are voodoo to me.

2 Likes

Tom, every injection system seem to respond differently from altering fuelpump voltage /fuel pressure.

At idle (high manifold vacuum) and a perfect air/wg-mix, my Volvo will syphon enough fuel to run rich and stall, even without the fuel pump running at all (I need to kill the injectors as well).
When running the pump, it seems it delivers fuel pretty much according to the pwm setting. However at medium setting the throttle position (manifold vacuum) will dictate what pressure the fuel rail will reach. Pressure will fall if I step on it and climb at idle. Opposite of what I want.

The Mazda syphones only a tiny amount and only at idle. Rail pressure doesn’t seem to climb much until I reach very close to full voltage on the pump.

The Rabbit didn’t syphon at all, but would hybrid automaticly with the fuel pump fully on and the oxygen sensor dictating the amount of fuel delivered. More if opened up my air-mixing valve and vice versa. Perfect, as long as the sensor was already warmed up.

Altering the pump voltage is far from a precise way of delivering hybrid fuel, but most of us don’t mind because we only use use it very briefly.
Altering the injector timing would probably be a better way, but as far as know no one tried it yet, apart from letting the oxygen sensor do it.

8 Likes