2013 Arkansas Woodgas Meetup | Marshall, AR | Oct 6

Only ten days out! Who else is coming?

I’m having to back out. I discovered this morning I have a major failure at the burn tube to top plate weld. The “cutting torch” did a fair amount of damage and I feel like I need to disassemble the unit to check the top plate all around, probably reinforce or replace. Sorry Richard.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Carl.

OUCH is right ! Did you mig weld that or stick weld it? When I did mine I stick welded it first then seal welded it with the mig.

Ack!!!
That sucks right out loud!
What made it go forge on ya?
TerryL

Didn’t mean to hi-jack Richards thread. Go here to my thread: http://driveonwood.com/comment/18121#comment-18121

Sorry to hear the bad news Carl. I know how things seem to crash at the worst time. My airplane may not be ready for my own fly in, due to an engine upgrade that isn’t going as fast as it can. I have been dealing with some family issues that have used up some time.

Sorry I haven’t been able to cheerlead on this, or help plan or coordinate - it has been a busy year. But good Lord willin’, I will be there on Saturday, along with my good friend Johnnie Campbell. I am trying to convince Ray Menke to come along, break him free from charcoal and mesquite chunk production for just a couple days. I’ll be in Little Rock Friday pm, let us know if we can bring anything up first thing on Saturday.

Hi Martin, Let’s keep the ball rolling. Ray stopped by my place maybe 2 months ago and I was working only 3 miles west of town and would have come home had I known he was coming or was there. He relied on the internet. I’m still listed in the phone book. I’m using the mesquite chunks he left here on the grill. I will use a few today at a friend’s party. I will split some up in a few minutes. I have been laid up most of the summer with internal stuff but am plugging away and slowly healing. I took my gasifier trailer off the truck a few minutes ago for a few weeks as I plan to do some camping with the truck and the trailer is a pain in the ars. I can’t lift a bag to the hopper without ripping open what’s healing inside. It sucks. I plan to camp on federal grounds on the Mississippi and don’t want any special issues. I called Chris Seymour today but he hasn’t returned my call yet. If he does I will mention the meet there. Hope all’s well … Mike LaRosa

Hello Martin,
Not much to be done. This is a very simple gathering. Nothing is planned other than showing our gasifiers off to the locals.

I plan on stopping by Saturday, sometime before noon. Really hoping to see some of you there, my brother and I stopped by Argos for a few hours. Be safe & see ya there.

Hello Richard , Carl and crew ,

Sure wish I could have made the tip !

Please keep the rest of us updated.

SWEM
Wayne

Wife and I had a great time, 452 miles (most of it hilly), truck ran great with only a little char bed constipation on the return trip. I HAVE TO put more chunks in my mix. Richard let me have a bag of his chunks, and some hard pulls up these mountains got it normal. AVG 1 mile per pound, with additional 8 gal gasoline for hybrid driving. We took the scenic route up, 40-50 miles of narrow winding mountain road, topping out at 2000’ elev. The hybrid PWM worked great. Several 25MPH switchbacks, and lots of steep climbs. We were in the Ozarks, beautiful, but the most hilly winding US 65 highway you could imagine. Expanded my DOW experience in a completely different terrain. Pic 1 a scenic turn out. Pic 2 the brothers Wood. Pic 3 Richard has alternate transportation available to him. I’ll add a link to a video later.

Is that a chain or a gear driven prop ? Seems to be too high up to be hooked right to the engine. Cute little plane and I’ll assume a one seater … Mike L

Good eye Mike, a gearbox. Here is a similar one on an ultralite.

Good morning Carl,

Thanks for the pictures and updating us. Sure wish we could have been with you.

Two years ago the wife and I crossed the mountains to the west of where you went through on our way to Kansas and a get together hosted by Stewart Perkins . Beautiful country and I could almost read the tag number on the little trailer we were pulling at some of the switchbacks . We went through a huge national forest where a music festival was going on and there must have been a hundred thousand hippies having a party of their life .

BBB

Hi Carl, That extra brace on top is real important to keep the cheap pot metal from cracking. A lot of stress on those bearings … Been there done that (on the ground) … Mike

Ultra lite flight at Marshall. $100 for a ride?? Not me!

Sorry for the delay. Johnnie and I took two days off after the event, went fishin’ (did good), then had to drive home, then catch up! Anyway, it was a really nice event, thanks Richard and Carl and others for being there and organizing it. Two woodgas trucks I saw, Richard’s and Carl’s, both great works. I was captivated by Richard’s plane, asked if he was going to take it up, he said how about now? He demonstrated an Eagle-esque “right off the runway” angle of attack that frankly made me nervous! In addition to the two trucks there were some ultralights/parasails and a couple of great bands, one with great ZZ Top covers. Just for us Houston boys, I imagine. Mike can you fiddle fill on “Down at the Balanese”? (and do you know what they are referring to?) A couple pics attached, let me know if anyone needs any more.

Martin, Fiddle to what ? I’m in Eagle River Wisconsin tonight between evening naps … I think it is around midnight. Hope my old friend Fred and his son and company make it up here OK. I saw them last 12 hours ago 300 miles south of here. He was still spraying black top. He called me but is running late. It’s quiet here. Very nice hotel room … Plan to be on a boat most of tomorrow :o) …Birthday is Monday … Back to bed … Mike