2016 Indiana Woodgas Meetup | Argos, IN | May 19-22

Made it home at 12:30 am. One wrong turn and turned into 950 mile ride.
Thanks again to the whole Lemler family for their terrific event. Thanks to all the ladies for the awesome food spreads. Excellent weather, even better conversations. Really needed more hours in the day. 84 attendees, nice turnout.
Hope everybody made it home safe.

7 Likes

We made it home at midnight :grinning:

5 Likes

looks like I missed s really nice weekend,glad some one was able too enjoy the travel,on wood, wish I could have made the trip too visit the wood gas crowd.

3 Likes

Made it home yesterday about 12:30 , had a great time , learn a lot, and really pump to finish my build.

6 Likes

Thanks to Ron Lemler and family for a great event !! Special thanks to all the ladies that kept us fed and happy and to all the helping hands that are to numerous to name. What a great event it was !!!

On our trip the total mileage was 1400 miles that includes a quick trip to the South Bend airport yesterday just before noon.

On the trip I would add in a little gasoline ( by choice , not a necessity ) for start ups , driving to a good and safe place for refueling when needed and hybrid driving up long hills in Ky, Tn and north Alabama to stay with the flow of traffic and not heat up the gasifier . The gasoline consumption averaged near 200 miles per gallon running speeds 60 - 70 on flat ground and 55 to 75 mph on rolling and hilly roads . We were pulling a small trailer with about a thousand pounds of camping gear and wood… For the first 200 miles leaving Argos until we hit the hills of Ky the truck never shifted down from overdrive ( 2000 rpm = 65 mph )

Using Ron Lemlers wood and a hopper about even to the top of the cab we could expect to drive about 80 miles between fuel stops. The ole truck ran flawless with no events.

EDIT Gasoline consumption for Sunday averaged 200 mpg , Gasoline usage during the event would have been much more with all the shut downs and start ups.

9 Likes

I second that…! :+1:

6 Likes

We got home at 1:00 A.M. this morning. Used up all the wood we had with us and finished out the trip on petro Truck ran fine both ways, no problems whats so ever. Decided to go see Lake Michigan beings how we was that close. Ended up going to the zoo at Michigan city, and went to the beach and we all got our feet wet so we can say we have been in the lake. Not sure what the water temp was, but you sure didn’t want to fall down…lol. Made for a longer trip home by a long ways. Was up at six and made it to work on time, drove to work on wood. How lucky are we to have the Lemler family on our side. Thanks to all, and was so glad we decided to come see our friends of DOW and many new friends as well. Hope to do it again next year. Sure glad to see the younger group of kids getting involved. Makes you feel like we are not wasting our time and really teaching a new generation something other than Phones and Internet and what it may take to survive someday.

14 Likes

I got home about 5pm today. Great time, great folks! Thanks to the Lemlers, for all the planning and work and wood they provided. (including a ride back and forth to the motel when my headlight switch went out.) Henry took me to Advance Auto on Saturday for an off the shelf replacement, and several others helped the no-fun job of “dash board surgery”.Sunday went well, but very high vacuum ratios (10:1) on Monday were the plague! I assumed char bed, but nothing helped there, so I ended up on a very high gasoline hybrid mode. Something else must be plugged, so we’ll see later this week.

8 Likes

Wish I could of made it this year Gary, Sorry.

2 Likes

we made it back 10 sunday night it was a pleasure to meet everyone in person . total trip 1243 miles ran great the return trip was even better with that high test lemler wood thanks by the way . boy my bed shure felt nice though.

10 Likes

Aww Nuts! Discovered when unpacking, I had my little wind speed indicator with me. That would have been fun when we were checking out the different starting blowers.
Oh well, Next year.
Jeff, Sorry I never properly thanked you for the goodies.

4 Likes

Andy, your welcome. I can’t think of a better home for them.

2 Likes

looks like everyone had a blast, what a successful event.
Really enjoying the the woodgas show and tell videos
thanks for posting all the photos and videos

4 Likes

Carl I was curious what you found that causes your high vacuum reading.

1 Like

It seems it was a combination of a tight charbed, too much biochar in the bottom, and fuel size. Long trips are a learning experience like no other. If trucks had minds, mine don’t like to go home.

1 Like

Thanks Carl I appreciate the information.