454 chevy Gasifier

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Phillip, I’m not quite sure here what you are trying to accomplish. Is this a wood gasifier or are you planning on using some other fuel like oil?

4 Likes

im incorperating a thermo cracker unit in the gasifier to break down used oil into fresh gas/ diesel and saving those resources for later

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures, we can see a little better what’s going on. A drawing of how it’s supposed to work would be very helpful. Your layout is very different from the standard setup, which is concerning. We want to see you succeed, that’s why you’re hearing this type of feedback.

I hate to be the one to break this to you… but I have serious doubts that your gasifier is going to produce usable gas. Here’s a short list of problems I see.

• Your firetube is very small for that size engine. I think Wayne assessed this correctly above.
  • Lack of airtight junctions. With that ash door and the barrels, you don’t seem to have airtight connections. That might work for a woodstove, but gasifiers MUST be airtight to function. Otherwise the gas will burn in the unit before it reaches the motor. This excess heat will destroy the gasifier.

• I don’t see a grate. Not sure how this is supposed to work, but you probably need a grate.

• I don’t understand the bilge blower on the bottom there. Is that your air intake? Regardless, it’s too near the heat and will melt.

• Nobody here is able to help you with thermo-cracking oil into gasoline and diesel. You need a lot more sophisticated equipment than we’ve got to do that. Anything homemade involving gasoline is very dangerous. Please be careful.

6 Likes

So everything is airtight except the door. Thinking about buying a flange to make it a flat door. Although i don’t know where to aquire a rounded flange that would fit my barrel. its a 10 inch x 12 inch door. I do appreciate the feedback but try not to be so harsh and doubtful of my design. Im possitive it creates woodgas, at least enough to run my generator because i have ran it. as far as running my 454 i have not tried yet until i fix the door issue. The grate is under the biomass i have loaded in it so it is there. I have had fires exceeding 1500 degrees and have not had any issues with my fan melting, yet. I am trying to get this unit working perfectly and do some more research before i try the thermo cracker.

3 Likes

Nice looking motor home and i like the 454 motor,that is worth way more than $50.00 worth of design schooling,and the 75 percent operator education involved, no way i would chance bending the valves on a running 3000 $ 454 chevy motor, with a questionable suppply of maybe dirty gas with out the WK Tried, tested,designed plans with many 20.000’s miles without dirty gas engine failure.It would cost more probbly 500,$ too rebuild the upper end likely.

3 Likes

Philip, I doubt that you will be doing much showering when your driving so maybe try air cooling the Thermal Cracker. Have you found a good dial valve?

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what is going on here?

2 Likes

This is my design… Would it be better to have an intake blower, or an ex-take vacuum and why???

1 Like

I like to have both. Mine are all Wayne Kieth style. I do not totally understand the route of the intake air. How is that design pulling anything through the char-bed?

2 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Which one of these designs are best and why? I can run my current model either way at the moment but I need to decide what is better.

1 Like

This one looks like it would make a whole lot of heat and no gas. Unless you’re piping that air to the air jacket of the hearth for the nozzles.

1 Like

You need a grate and a opening or restriction opening for the charcoal to pass through in the bottom below the nozzle intake for it to work.
There is a lot more then what is shown here in your drawings for a good gasifier. Refer to some plans here on DOW that are proven to work and follow them. You will have a lot more secess if you do so.
Bob

2 Likes

Whats wromg with my design? I need help to figure this out. How do i run this help me with a diagram Please???