454 Peanut Port Food for thought

HOLA I iz back and I gots a new plan! I literally have this Engine sitting in an RV in my yard. It’s even a 1986 just like this video. With bolt on parts these boys made 560 HP and over 500 ft lbs of torque all while maintaining a motor that still has the same amount (and maybe a little more) vacuum at idle.

Yes, I will be spending a little money but not nearly as much as you think it would be. The proof is in the pudding.

2 Likes

Haven’t watched the video yet but hey if it adds horses in the barn then by all means I’d do it if I could.

2 Likes

Back in the 80s all these V8s were just absolutely ruined with the SMOG stuff. Even my Mazda had a ridiculous amount of Emissions garbage. Replaced the exhaust, deleted “Air Injection” but kept EGR because it was simple vacuum control, and replaced the Carb and it was like driving a new truck.

4 Likes

Never watched this channel before William. I guess with 241 thousand subscribers you get to play with Steve Brule at Westech.

What does it mean? You drop four grand, double your HP but only raise your torque a few hundred foot pounds. Maybe if you are going out to set a new WG speed record at Bonneville that would be worth it but a work truck gets it done with torque. For that purpose, the longer you can keep that torque curve flat the more you will accomplish. Of course just looking at those heads would give any engine guy a boner, and those Rockers. Is anything uglier than stamped steel rocker arms? If I’m spending that kind of money I’m getting air lockers and some of that stainless steel they seem to give away in Sweden.

5 Likes

I found the video very entertaining, lol. The kit they spoke of has experienced a price increase. It is now a touch above $3900. If I add the intake and a new carb, then it gets up there closer to $5000. I’m opting to use the stock manifold and the stock quadrajet (something I have a lot of experience with) and accept a small hit to the numbers they posted on the dyno.

Oh BTW, The Quadrajet was the most advanced carb of it’s time. They truly are stellar performers and can be “adjusted” to meet the needs of all kinds of differing power curves.

Having said all that, Simple is as simple does. Pulling power is a combination of torque and horsepower. One cannot perform without the other. I already use this truck in it’s stock TBS configuration and empty, the truck is a highway rocket but hook a substantial 5th wheel to it and all the torque in the world isn’t going to get you up to speed any faster. A better way to put it, torque is holding power once you’ve achieved the speed you want.

The way it is now, switching to a gasifier will dramatically reduce it’s already lackluster performance across the board, especially when towing. By doing the upgrades I feel that not only will I recover that lost energy, I will also be adding a little extra making the truck perform better than it did in stock, gasoline form.

I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. I think for most people finding off the shelf solutions are far more doable than engineering an entirely new package to perfectly meet the needs of gasification. Ultimately, if I really get in a spot, I can always turn the pump back on and use gasoline for a temporary punch in usability.

I know one thing. Once this truck is done and I put it into service, I will be heavily advertising it’s use. People on the coast of Oregon will see it all the time and once they realize I am driving past all of them at the pump, this site will begin a growth curve it probably hasn’t seen in a while.

I love this place and you ALL are my new best friends!

4 Likes

Fishing through old pasts as I often do.
This really bares worth repeating…

2 Likes