460 bronco OIL GASIFICATION BUILD

Pics referred to:

edit nothing important was here

i just know in the end if this bronco is going to live up to its zombie apocalypse death machine theme it cant rely on big oil to keep feeding that 460, so biomass is the perfect solution!

And how long do you expect to remain the proud owner of a woodgas car in case of a TSHTF scenario? Better not to be on the road by then and remove some crucial parts from the car and hide them.

Driving on woodgas is fun during good times or a slowing economy. Driving on woodgas is even more fun when gas prices go through the roof of on minor fuel scarcity. But if the world falls apart, stay away from the road.

Regards,
DJ

1 Like

Good advice DJ. Sue and I figure we’ll be delivering meals to the other seniors … Mike L

Edited this comment on 6/17/2012 for thread brevity. I can no longer follow this picture dense of a load up on my dial-up so no longer feel my comments are contributory. Hopefully this will help other with down loading Brets project.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Interesting points Steve. Certainly, there are scenarios in which tooling around in your wood gasser would make you a target. Others won’t. Certainly, in more probable scenarios like gas rationing or just high fuel prices, a well camouflaged wood gasser would be handy to have. As for extreme WROL, an aircraft is about the best way to get out of dodge, assuming there s no one waiting up here to shoot you down.

We have been planning for years for what might happen and have understood the need to go into a state of voluntary poverty. Keeping under the radar and out of the spot light. Not letting others know of your bounty for they will not have any problem taking it fron you by any means necessary. I have been in countrys during times of political unrest and strife, you see the true “mother bears” wanting to feed their cubs. Life has little value, but your belongings do. People tend not to steal from the poor, they go to those that have. Be a have not in the eyes of others, have enough rounds for your weapons and you have a chance. We have old bicycles (more then 20) to ride to the river and plan on loosing some rather then our lives. Sorry for getting off topic, but I am passionate about this,

Harvest in circles
John

1 Like

Brent,
I am going too say this now so you will remember this post later after you have tried all of the above. NON OF IT WILL WORK!!! The thoughts and images that are flashing through my head are horrible. You couldn’t have picked a harder path to choose either you have lots of $$$$ or you enjoy beating yourself up. A wise man said to me “Pain is a wonderful teacher” And brother you are going to experience lots of pain if you follow through with this. I am not trying to be a know-it-all just my 2 cents worth. Put down 100miles on wood today hauling a 3000lbs. trailer at 65mph with a v6 f-150 Regards Sean

Hi Sean, Have my 97 cavalier fully converted now except I have to run pipe from it’s mouth end to it’s ars end … I’m looking forward to this one as it will be my first OBD2 conversion. It’s also an automatic and I haven’t driven one in a couple of years. I ran tests on it tonight to see what it does when the fuel pump and injectors are turned off. So far no codes and the engine keeps rolling. It has a single fuse for the injectors and pump. Regardless, it’s fun … Say hi to your dad for me … Thanks, Mike

nothing important was here

Brent, nice collection of all it takes to build almost anything! The information in the Premium section of this site will absolutely blow your mind. After you view the videos, and look at the photos, and see what others have already put together, you will enter a 23 hour/day building frenzy. Best thing is that end result will work. Find a big ole Ford “beater” truck for $500, build a Wayne Keith unit in the bed, and when all the bugs are out, put a version 2 in that Bronco. You can do it!

Brent,
You are more than welcome to build this anyway you like. And post everything you learn nothing stopping you here. I just don’t see the point of what you are trying to prove. Why would someone go down the wrong path wasting time and money? It just doesn’t make sense to me when all of your questions have already been answered. There has been lots of time and money spent putting this website together. With detailed information explaining not only how the system is built. Also why it needs to be built a certain way and operated.
Bring that zombie killer of a truck down to my shop and we can build it together straight custom.
You will be very pleased with the results.

Mike
Congratulations!!
Not only is this your first obd2 project its also the first chevy conversion I have heard of so this should be interesting keep us posted BBB Sean

Hello Mike, Brent, Ray and Sean,

Hey Mike, Sounds like you got it going your way on the cavalier!!

Ray, Thanks much for you post and comments. Coming from folks like you it really means something to me.

Sean Thanks for the post to Brent. You saved me some time typing and trying to spell. The post is exactly what I would have said.

We hauled in 20-25 tons of hay yesterday and then a couple of trips to bring in equipment. Only 75-80 miles I worked the V-10 all day.
The ram is doing good considering a lot of the driving is being done by a 14 year old, pulling a 40 foot trailer and working around bone dry hay in the field and even more around the barn.( not a good place for any type of back fire )

ok, i guess i will comment here… can’t say i’ve built a mobile system yet, but i have had my hand in a few stationary ones.

So, how much wood gas will your engine need? what do you figure your working rpm will be? what size of restriction are you planning on building around?

How far do you plan to drive on a load of wood?

I did watch that vid of the small gasser you posted… no idea what language it was but i’m not sure he was actually burning wood… looked like char to me… and not big char either… you do realize a small engine doesn’t need the same cooling as a large one right? you just can’t compare that stuff.

Send me 100.00 and i’ll draw you up some full sized plans (imbert) for an engine the size you’re building working at what ever working rpm you decide. will it make gas? ofcourse it will… will it work? probably. how well? couldn’t tell you… but i don’t know anyone that is gonna design you’re system for you for free… Wayne, your premium site is a steal… and if i come into some more money soon i’ll be asking if i can extend my stay as a life time member.

i wouldn’t even comment that the little genset we have running was working well untill it had 100 hrs on it… it’s got over 300 now. seems to work fine. have i made tar? ofcourse… you ain’t learning anything if you don’t. but it’s a lot easier to clean and unstick a single cylider briggs… than that beast you’re planning on building… just my 2 cents.

oh, and please don’t take this wrong, but if you can’t answer those few questions i asked above… you need to read some more

I don’t think you under stand… everyone that has commented is trying to help you.

No one here wants you to fail… period…

you talk about what you want your external dimentions to be but not once say what you’re planning to use internally.

I personally do wish you to be successful in running on wood, and i know that everyone here wants you to be too… no one here wants someone to go away with a 'well I tried and it can’t be done so it must not work attitude" not saying you’d be like that, but for most people its easier to say that than to admit they made a mistake and should have gone a different route.

O.K. Now my one cent’s worth: Brent, I have a nephew with serious ADHD. He says he’s going to be an airplane pilot when he grows up, or before. And he probably will. Another one: Years ago I was building a Mandan Indian style earth lodge out on my prairie estate. I had to cut a hundred cottonwood trees and drag them up and put 'em the proper order to become my house. A well-meaning friend spoke up and suggested that it would be a heck of a lot easier to just move in a trailer house.
My point is simple: your plans sound like my nephew on steroids, AND I know and believe that some guys, like me, just have to do things their own way, the hard way. Do it. Take your time. Then take a bow. Make a video. But, by all means, do it.
John

One’s first gasifier should be a copied or stolen, but proven design and dimensioning. Woodgasification is a trinity: man, machine and fuel. Take out machine and fuel by using perfect material and the man will be teached fast by the other two.

Woodgasification has no strict borders that are easily recognized when you step over them. No, you’ll discover that once you’ve passed this broad grey no-mansland and look back in the mirror.

Regards,
DJ

1 Like