A couple questions

Apparently that build thread is on the premium form which I don’t have access to yet.

3 Likes

and another one hooked welcome barry.

4 Likes

Yup sure am. Thanks for the welcome.

3 Likes

Hi Barry, Good to know of your desire and connections to break the OBDII code. My 2004 Ranger ran great at first on gasoline or chargas, but that changed over time. Unlike Al, my gasoline fuel pump is either ON or OFF. After a BIG learning curve I have developed a starting proceedure that seems to work every time. If I do not use this, the engine floods.
Starting. Turn engine over several times with the gasoline pump OFF. Stop, Turn engine over again and turn gasoline pump ON. engine fires and runs fine on gasoline. If you are starting on chargas, do not bother with the fuel pump at all.
Shut down. With engine running on gasoline, turn OFF the gasoline pump and let engine die from lack of fuel. Turn off key. Leave gasoline pump OFF.
I haven’t had the old FORD running for several months now and am anxious to get it going again. ARGOS is comming up and I need to fix it up.
Gary in PA

8 Likes

I read your entire thread Gary, about your build and subsequent problems.

I actually asked for an update

Guess I got it!

Hope it all goes well.

Barry

2 Likes

Barry, I combined several of your topics.

Going forward, I recommend starting as few new threads as possible, just to help us keep track of the discussion. Thanks!

2 Likes

I would really like to see this 07 Ford F-150, it seems the more newer vehicles and seen to be more “advanced” vehicles that can run on wood gas really will change the outlook on wood gas as an alternative fuel source. Some may not view it as impractical or that you have to use an older vehicle. That’s just my opinion, looking forward to seeing the build. Tyler

2 Likes

Thanks Tyler. I’m excited to get started!

1 Like

Those if you who have run obd2, especially @glgilmore 04 ranger, how has the performance and possibility of running wood gas or char gas in a newer vehicle been affected? What I am getting at is, It would suit many more people’s needs if it is not much more difficult. For me it would be nice to be able to take family and friends all in the same vehicle. Seating 4-5 people comfortably would be great. I know this probably has been thrown out there already on this site, but I would like to get some more input as to why it may or may not be easily done. Thanks, Tyler.

2 Likes

Check out my Chevrolet Lacetti thread. Obd2 can certainly be wodgased with good sucsess. Personaly l am not afraid of woodasing obd2 vehicles but the problem is allmost all have plastic intake manifolds. I learned thats a no no. Might work with charas thuh, becouse there is only dust in chargas and dust can be filtered out completely.

5 Likes

My 1996 s10 is obd2 with metal intake but the newer ones now have plastic. Otherwise obd2 is not a problem.

5 Likes

On a 2003 dodge Dakota quad cab with the 5.9l v8, would there be any problems with space for a gasifier in the small bed? In that case it looks like it would have very little space for a wk gasifier. I have not seen any small trucks with as big as a 5.9l v8, and I am guessing it is a good power to weight ratio similar to the 318 v8.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/d/ephrata-for-sale/6972407986.html

1 Like

Well the 5.9 is bigger than the 318 in the same basic truck, so yes the power is there.
Looking at the picture, i see that the rear wheels are almost directly behind the cab. The gasifier would not fit just as in the book. If you are comfortable rearranging the components, im sure you could make it work. I would think the main gasifier unit could be put right in the center and dropped down between frame rails. The “saddle bag” ammo box cleanouts could straddle the driveshaft. It would probably take up the whole bed by the time you added the other components.

2 Likes

That was what I was thinking, it just would not be the best setup. If you look at early small 4 door trucks, from 1990 to 2005, there is not much room like the Dakota in that listing. There are a few exceptions, like a 1998 Chevy 2500 I think with a longer bed. But the 4 door models are hard to find and expensive in most cases. The Ford F-350 4 door model around 1995 have plenty of space, but then again, that is an f350, so it is a big truck with a 7.5l v8 and much more weight. So less miles per pound, and less top speed. Other than that I haven’t really seen many other 4 door trucks with big v8s that are 1/2 ton trucks, and the 2500 is a 1 ton I believe.

3 Likes

Looking at another truck, a 2001-2002 Ford F-150 supercrew cab. This truck looks like it has more bed space behind the cab than the dodge Dakota crew cab, although the biggest engine in it is a 5.4l v8, with the automatic transmission it weighs 4994 pounds. The crew cab Dakota with the 5.9l and auto trans is 4475 pounds. That and the decrease in engine size makes me think the top end speed would not be ideal for highway driving. let me know what what you all think about those specifications, or if you know of other 4 door vehicles that would work well.

1 Like