A second. Cyclone / ceramic blanket/ heated hopper test results rig

Hi, Kevin!

Look at the photos!

How many times has it to be repeated: An Imbert mantel around a silo
does not come with ANY condensation tubes.

ALL steam has to go trough the hearth, ending up where its temp goes down to the dew point! The dew point is then lowered toward the ambient temperature when the gas is cooled enough.

Has the 10 years shrinked to 10 minutes?

1 Like

Ok thanks Max I thought thats all you needed, that heated hopper effect i can build that good. Are you usei g some kind of hight temp rope and glue for hopper Door Seal? Sorry for all the Questains, i should read back farther in the threads.

1 Like

Hi, Kevin!

The top lid has a 10 X 20 mm silicon foam rubber band with a smooth skin surface. Glued on the lid with a special silicon glue.

1 Like

So far so good 105 pounds, with out cyclone or heat exchanger,forgot too put the ceramic on first before welding down in the barrel, gess have too measure for the pipes then install blanket. Hate too add the heat wall probly another 30 pounds.i just need too see how well these heated hoppers are working in person in conjuntion with the ceramic blanket.

my burn tube top plate is a little thin at12 gauge, i may have too double it later for added rustproffing.

4 Likes

I found this from a web site, i think its a gek dual plane air supply

2 Likes

Hopper will be hotter ,now all the plumming.

got a few welds on jacket too burn in or flote over. The weight less my two small cyclones is exactly 127 pounds counting bottom plate and the top lid.I like the weight size ratio, hope its tar free with out adding any. More tunnels or preheat tubes.I may build a heated funnel later, see how well it works like it is.BBB.

1 Like

Switched too cyclone heat exchanger for this little moble generator plan. Cyclones weight 13.5 # each, toltal weight hopeing src="/uploads/default/original/3X/9/0/907621490609fa234ba27594ad428d6798caceae.jpg" width=“500” height=“500”>

Hope it works testing tomaro, i may have too shorten i dont know, its 4.75" on big end 3.25" on small end and 15" long.hopeing a shop vac too be a good sample test too see what emount of ash it collects .o

4 Likes

Kevin, how did you make that cone part? Looks like maybe you slit a pipe and added the wedge shaped piece? You may have found an easier way to do it.

1 Like

Yes that is the way i built it, see how it works later tooday.only way too use the 16 gauge hard steel pipe i had here, 3&1/2" too small before swisting intoo cone i figured anyway.BBB.

1 Like

Tested cyclones , one cyclone 75% two cyclones in serries 90% efficient.while in serries the cyclone farthest from the shop vac. Collected about 20% more than the one by the vac.

2 Likes

My ceramic blanket is 1" thick two layers stagard. And is just a little too much peice work, so i held it up with thin 18 gauge ss tin punched out with vent tabs for the test. And my cyclones ar mounted on each side. For easyer

cleaning. Too follow max on the hot filter seems as a good idea before the hopper heater. I am waiting on that one till find container with hot seal capable. I am glad Don manns recomended larger burn tube. I got too go measure this after installing blanket and ss tin too at leaste hold till the heat sets up the blanket.

4 Likes

Finished the cyclone plumming and all but the top lid attachmens and cooling rack tomaro.Then TEST DAY.

i just weighed my finish gasifier 200 pounds even, and then weighed my cooling rack at 45 pounds. So i should be under 1/4 ton 500 pounds with 200 pounds of wood fuel.

4 Likes

Hi, Kevin!
I do not want to be negative or rude, but when critic (constructive) is called for, I wonder why nobody tells about the most obvious backdraws a consruction built, presents!

There is always “yes,yes,yes” for whatever is presented!
Being “nice and positive”, instead of helpful.

If a commentor really wants to be of some help, instead of only praising and praising whatever is presented, a commentor should present
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIC!

Misleading praise does not help or advance anybody’s building in a constructive and appropriate direction.

Giving critical comments ask for “analysing” the object of critic.

Another point: Why only presenting faita complait, instead of asking and presenting a sketch before starting to lose time and materials on perhaps a “wolf”?

1 Like

Max, culd you be more specific on what the problematic things are? Becouse judgeing by the pictures, it seems good to me…

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!

How many constructors are asking about constructing practices before starting a build?

Every component has to be practically cleanable, or not?

Look on pictures, and think!

I do not want to start commenting anybody in particular, just observe and think!

After all, questions in advance are constructive, comments afterwards are only a pain.

You can see normal cleaning details completely omitted, and still no comments from anybody!

Only “yes,yes,yes”…

1 Like

Critics welcom, I know I went other rought then your spacific design. I have clean outs for hopper heater and cyclones, though i intend too update too your kind of cyclone exchangers later. I never seen your desige hopper heater due too i thought it was inturnal sheet metal layer, any improvments or better ideas welcom from any one. This is i think simular too the hopper heater design as dustin i thought any way, i have four 1&1/2" cleanouts on outer heater jacket, that i can easy reach the next clean out with soft big wire. I intend too turn the cyclons intoo preheat later after running this a while trial. Thanks.

2 Likes

Kevin, maybe Max is talking about your cooler.
I was under the impression it’s not finished yet and I’m sure you have a plan for how to be able to flush it.

1 Like

Cooler material two old fence post and 16 gauge swing set tube 1-7/8"ID. Still have too add the clean outs for the tubes on the cooler rack.55 pounds after welding all but the clean out 3/4" cut off fittings from water heaters.

1 Like

Hi Kevin, I was just looking at the cooling tubes you welded up. Not sure if you are going with the the tubes being vertical or not. I would suggest putting some clean out openings on one end of the connecting tube so it could have a water hose go down each tube to flush them out. It will get soot in the tubes eventually and need cleaning out. You could also make a spray nozzle that would shoot water at a right angle to clean each tube from the top down go into the end of the connecting pipe and just clean them more often.
I been cleaning my tubes out every 700 to 1000 miles probably could go longer but I don’t mind doing the maintenance a little more often than Wayne and others suggest. My cool rack was built so I could take it apart. Vertical tubes is the best way to go in my opinion, mine are not vertical tubes. Lol
Bob

1 Like

A internal nozzle washer! Genious Bob! This one goes in my next project!

1 Like