A second. Cyclone / ceramic blanket/ heated hopper test results rig

Good after noon Max Gas man, me dont know me dont care me push button and away me TARE. Me JOKEy but me no smokey. Any way max i probley missed one calculation interpretation. So i am not good at math, if you have my answer.how many pounds of char would you say = one gallon gasoline without any crazy math Equations that i caint seem calculate.Thanks.

1 Like

No problem max i may have goofed up the calculation.just trying too how much volume wood per mile VS volume char per mile. FROM THE POUND PER GALLON ESTOMATE.MATH GETS ME CONFUSED.

Hi Kevin, here is the problem with trying to figure fuel mileage of any type of fuel. And that is the driving habits of who’s driving. Are you a lead foot as they say, you have to put the petal to the floor all the time. Or are you a easy goes it type of person, accelerates slowly and is in no hurry to get there fast.
Yes these are extreme examples. But very true.
Now let’s talk about the design of your gasifier, this makes all the difference also.
Now let’s talk about weather conditions, and here we are again this enters in new factors to the equations of trying to calculate how much per mile.
The last of all, type of fuel and how it was prepared, what size, how much moisture content, hardness of the wood.
What I am getting at is this, in my to gasifiers, one wood and one charcoal I just do not know, it seems to be always changing on my units. When my hopper starts to heat up it’s time to put wood in it, unless it is forming a bridge in there. Just to many variables for me to give a correct answer. The arm chair people have the math to use. But it might not be right in every driving conditions.
Bob

Its a lot easyer on the pocket when i put pedal too the wood fuel floor. I got too thaw out a plumming ice plug some place first, Still got wood left from last year chunking.I have been an easy driver too most peoples habits for years, I use older vehicles and drive them acordingly.I see there i not much arm chair data on pounds charco = one gallon gasoline, only for wood weight per gallon dino. I think i will stick with wood gas for any driveing other than gas station fill ups, and just wave as i pass the station.

2 Likes

I believe you make a good point with the question regarding charcoal. Point taken about the variables in driving, etc, but those should begin to average over time, rule out the low and high figures as in any statistic analysis.

I suspect that charcoal gasifiers have fewer variables influencing performance, fuel size and density, moisture content to some degree.

I think that is where the current figures come from. People comparing notes sort of speak. On wood or charcoal usage per mile, or per km. So if you want to put in a plus and minus of lets say 10% on each side of the number to cover all the varible factors that we will encounter, then we can settle on the numbers that have been given out.
I am happy if I can get 1 pound per mile in my wood gasifier.
I hear other people say they get better and others less per mile.
Bob

1 Like

Style of driving, speed, weather are all going to influence results. I think the best answers are from the Auburn university analyses, and the members like @JO_Olsson, or @KristijanL, who daily commute to work by the same routes in the same style.

I would like to hear their comments on the influence of weather conditions on performance. I have heard comments that cold weather seems to improve gas quality? What about high air humidity, or rain? What about hot and dry?

1 Like

The book tells us 16 too 20 pounds wood = 1 gallon petro. What i am arm chair culculating was pounds of charco = gallon petro. I think the 1 liter petro = 1.5 kg charco is fairly accurate, it comes out too 12.5 pounds too 1 gallon petro, and bruce,s triumth goes 3 miles on a gallon’ of charco, that would put his little car at about 37 miles per gallon petro for a comparison scale check.

1 Like

I think the biggest variable would be ones trip length. Start ups and shut downs will consume fuel giving no miles. Short trips will give poorest fuel economy but longer nozel life would be my guess.

3 Likes

When i warm up my unit i fill up just before i take off, that is ware i would count my miles per pound. Like petro it takes a bit of fuel too warm things up. Depending on your restriction and burn tube size and thicker tube takes little longer too warm up but can add up weight fast, i wouldent go over the book size, concider your speed you will likely drive the truck your working with, watch the weight and the restrictor can be changed around for smaller burn tube if needed.

I hear my name spoken! :wink:

The early ww2 gadifiers where Til got the 1.5kg charcoal = 1 l petrol were not exaust/steam tempered, meaning their fuel consumption is higher. As l sayd in the MB thread, l get about 3 miles per pound or 1kg charcoal= 1l petrol or 8 pounds = 1 gallon

2 Likes

What Jim said on start ups, shut downs and fuel economy.

When it comes to performance I couldn´t tell if gas quality is affected by any of the above reasons. Minor changes maybe but not enough to be recognized while driving. However cold weather conditions do make the gas more denst. Gives something like 10 % more power. Just enough to even out the extra effort it takes to push a frozen and stiff vehicle with studded winter tires down a snowy road. As long as you have no air leaks and dry fuel, managing the charbed will always be the no1 key to good performance.
It´s been mentioned before that the gasifier is blind to what motor it feeds. I´d say it´s pretty blind to the outside world as a whole.

4 Likes

Another 31 miles on my heated hopper ceramic blanket gasifier, seems too still be working ok, pulled 1500 pounds of scrap and the trailer too the yard,my char bin was full was why i thought i had an ice in line some place, and my alternator broke ware it slides through the main bolt on the bottom, was causing all the rattle sqeek noise, back out too work on alternator bracket suports and replace the altetnator with an old 1980 style alt.

1 Like

Thumbs up on that answer, strait on, I like that answer.The extreem cold adds just the extra power needed too make up for the cold crunchy snow drag.Ect.

2 Likes

Thanks Kristijan than helps answered my questain about charco consumption. As pounds char per = gallon petro. And the 1kg= 1 liter petro.RANGE. AFter adding the tempering.

My wood gas truck with the ceramic blanket.

2 Likes

This small tool shed, my two cyclones and barrel fit well in the little compartment, is well open on both top and bottom so as too not have any co gas build up. Though i am just sort of short on space in the bed of the truck if i put the good size meadia filter behind the tool shed, so next test is mount unit on light trailer add the larger straw filter, so as too be able too test with maltable vehicles in search of a higher milege on bio mass energy car or truck, my v6 pontiac really serprized me driveing too argos averageing 35 mpg on the big road, round trip 606 miles after subtracting the 4 miles for +&- figure. 16.5 gallons. For 606 hundred miles, around 10 too twenty range i only get about 22 mpg, Its good on hiway this entire week end.?

2 Likes

ceramic tube gasifier for sale 500.00$ needs ammo can replaced and notch in botton removed for a flat on the bed mount setup.other than that its low hours and in good condition all welded together.

Things got a little hot only after my ammo can sides colapsed from not putting the 2 ×4 support back after i cleaned out the ash, I drove home until it stalled due too the massive air leak in the ash arena compartment.And you can tell it got hot mostly on the upper half of the left side cyclone and the bottom of the burn tube houseing looks slitely whitish from the excess heat than normal.?

I havent checked the burn tube or great area since last time i ran it.I will add that pic later.

Now i can say why i want my gasifier on a trailer mount for easy access, while takeing the gasifier out of my truck i found a hose clamp half off the hose in a extra hard too reach location, found my other air leak.

5 Likes