ADAPTech Projects

The Mercury outdrive is tempting… I have an old 1973 Mer-Cruiser 165 hp, I wonder if they changed the mounting, yours is much newer! Mine is a project that may never see the water… (21ft. Starcraft V-hull aluminum runabout).

2 Likes

I have started working on a char lawnmower. The deck was doesn’t work but I have a trailer for it so I can use it for hauling. I built a a fitting to tee in to the intake. I planed to use an old tar tank for the gasifier. Today I patched a hole in it and cut the opening for the fill up.
Jesse

20200305_173727

20200305_164955 20200305_165006

20200331_124056 20200413_153949 20200413_164328

13 Likes

I am waiting to get O2 for the torch to continue on the gasifier. So I am planing on building a cyclone does any one have the ratios.
Jesse

1 Like

Jesse,

Will this help?

3 Likes

I found dimensions in the library.
Thanks Jesse

2 Likes

I also found this book. Pages 183-187 has dimension information for cyclones:

http://www.drtlud.com/?resource=prs84100

4 Likes

I thought this was very helpful.

1 Like

This is my cyclone built to the dimensions in the handbook. The first attempt I did the math wrong the second attempt worked. tomorrow i am going to build the trash tank

20200414_172756 20200414_180036 20200414_182958

This is Jesse. I started a thread for this. Maybe Chris can move this over there.

5 Likes

I am preparing to start a wood project to make an electric generator. Does anyone know how the timing advance on wood compares to an engine already set up for propane.? Are the burn rates the same or similar enough for it to work without adjustment?

Don’t remember anyone talking about it before.

2 Likes

You can ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ as they say. Just get it running first, then vary the timing to give max power.

4 Likes

i see you are doing cyclone, it works much better if the inlet is square, i adjust the sketches…

5 Likes

Lifts are good for more than cars this make trailer lights very easy.
KIMG1122 KIMG1121
If any one is looking to buy rubber fittings I found a cheap place compared to any else I have found, with free shipping on orders over $100.00. It is called SUPPLY.COM It comes out of Atlanta Ga I ordered a box of them yesterday at about noon and they arrived here today. I also have ordered other fitting there for cheaper than Lowe’s and most defiantly Home Depot.
KIMG1125

5 Likes

Today dad and I got the generator out and got it going sort-of. The Generator is setup to run on natural gas and we are using propane so it does not run the best. The thing only has 110 hrs on it. It will run for a little over a minute then die out and when it is running the battery will charge at least the gauge says so but there is no power coming out of the leads. Here are a few pictures. Does anyone have any Ideas what it might be that is keeping it from producing power? I need help I don’t know anything about generators.
KIMG1140 KIMG1142 KIMG1143 KIMG1144 KIMG1145 KIMG1146 KIMG1147 KIMG1151 KIMG1154

3 Likes

I understand Jacob you have a problem with the electricity, or with the electrical part of the generator, if it is synchronous, then it acts much like an alternator, only has no diodes, so it checks the rotor winding, brushes and measures the excitation voltage that is supposed to come from regulator, …

4 Likes

Two people have told me know that I need to excite it. To do that do I just hook up an electric motor to pull on it or do I have to connect it to power? How does that usually work? If I do Have to connect it to power Is it safe to connect it to the power grid to do so?

1 Like

They are referring to exciting the field windings in the generator. This is done with DC. It sounds like there is an issue with the circuit that provides the voltage-excitation.

Do you see a schematic anywhere? If this unit has an AVR (automatic voltage regulator) I would look carefully at that. Could be as simple as a broken/chewed/corroded wire.

Might be worthwhile to go over all the electrical connections and make sure all are clean.

5 Likes

Here’s an article that goes deeper into the subject. Beware it is specific to the Chinese ST generator heads, but the principles are the same.

https://www.utterpower.com/voltage-excitation/

4 Likes

I helped put together a generator that used a 1/3 hp motor. It wouldn’t do anything until we stuck a magnet on the side of the motor/ generator. Then it started making current. You could then take the magnet off and it would keep making current. Someone told me we had “excited the windings”. Hope this helps.

Rindert

3 Likes

Ran across a Miller welder/generator that had a bad bridge rectifier that wouldn’t allow it to make power you might want to check the schematic to see if the unit has one. Also propane is richer than natural gas don’t remember the ratio though

4 Likes

Jacob, for the principle of operation, search under a synchronous generator, say:

the difference between propane and methane in the mixing ratio

the difference between propane and natural gas, …
if the engine is running on a rod, the nozzle must be reduced by 2.5x

4 Likes