Adverse effects of charcoal gas on engines

Hi Michael. I wandered around that empty lot when I first returned to wood gas interests. I believed that injecting or charging char with methanol would increase the power of the gas. Wasted some time proving myself wrong while all the smart members let me work it out for myself without judgement. Not saying there is not a way to improve our current methods of making producer gas but as far as my researches go, tried and true is still optimal.

9 Likes

So you have a trifueler? Three different fuels? Diesel to ignite, propane and wood gas for main charge?
Tone Trifuel hmm I am jealous.

Dualfuel

10 Likes

Perfect, tyvm, its true the pellets when not ran at the hottest it can with charcoal did have a ton if tar which maybe a binder agent is a factor but either eay, (this im sure played a role of me trying to learn filtering and getting stuck on it plus worry for the engine) i need to let go of that convenience factor and either go with a portable charcoal maker or wood chipper, I’m gonna just wait for the book and build around tried and true rather than start with a dream becase a thought is just that,
… a thought, and when i get the umph to start a new downdraft build (3rd time) I’d love to see actual production. Ty very much everyone for the help around this filtering fumble lol. I have been reading forums here for a long time now but with filtering as long as you think of a new product to stick in a bin or come across a new product, your mind can consider a bunch of extra things that “may work”.so out of the rabbit hole I come… Filtering neverland was a trip but time for me to come back. Lol ty
Tri or duel fuel i agree is really interesteing.

7 Likes

Hi Michael , please forgive me if you have explained or shown your unit already , what type of gasifier do you have ?

Dave

4 Likes

Hi dave, at the moment ive stripped down to just a super basic cross draft burn tube very similair to the shown in the above youtube help out video from Norther self reliance guy, ive tried a few builds now (updraft, down and simplfire, even manual drizzler a bit) and even had one into another but really i jist wanted to get started and putter around with tbe cool idea of wood runninv an engine. I knew very little but that a cool book and group existed but i didnt take the plunge to join till now.

Anyways no need for me to create a thread of vids because im not gonna run with that anymore, i just wanted to get started with something that popped out a flame to focuse on mixing of pellets and charcoal, then I focused way too much on filtering to a “perfect IC” gas. I just needed to read some smart posts from some smart people and im appreciatively learning the more realistic sides of this art/craft… still knowing I know about -50 of the other 75% still to come. OBD 2 is my other wonder but im staying out of it becayse i know zero 0 on it.

6 Likes

There you go now MichealT.
Woodgasing for shaft power needs a lot of persistence and patience.
And a fair amount of humor and humility.

Woodgasing; char gassing; OBD II; life-partners all are much more manageable if you focus down onto just learning your own particular, must-live-with system.
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Thanks to the help of great people such as yourself and this great group, ive saved i know now is months worth of hours just theorizing and testing without a optimal burn yet. Glad I joined.

11 Likes