Asparagus and other wild edibles

Here’s my set up for germination tests. Seeds inside a damp paper towel and
covered with saran wrap. No standing water on plate. Keep out of direct sun. I’m guessing a week to 10 days germination time. We’ll see.

5 Likes

Therry, …thank you very much for your words of support in this very hard period of our nation. :pray:

9 Likes

Well the wild leeks are up well, as you can see.

There are many small seedlings that I feel are from seeds.

I dug up a few small ones and sure enough, they are from seeds. So they both divide and grow from seeds. Mine in the house haven’t germinated yet.
Perhaps they need to freeze before they will germinate?

The ( I call them) fiddlehead ferns are just breaking through and in a few days I’ll have a taste of these
great treats. Just snap them off, drop in boiling water for a few minutes. Served with a bit of butter they are tender and delicious.
As with all wild edibles, save some for next year!

8 Likes

I froze my leek seeds for 4 days. Well see if they germinate now.

3 Likes

I hate to brag, but I have a few tomato flowers. I started them under metal halide 5 or 6 weeks ago. There looking pretty good. This is their first day in real sunlight. Yeah, I have to move them inside every night until the nights are warmer. When I transplant them to the garden, I will lay them in a trench and bury the stem a foot or so long. The top will then grow straight up. Can’t wait!

jalapeno and sweet peppers starting to bud

Big Boys flowering

11 Likes

WOW, that is impressive, you will be eating tomatoes in about 6 weeks?

My little guys are only 3” tall and still in the greenhouse. But I haven’t used any artificial light

3 Likes

I had them under lights for 18 hrs a day. I’m not sure how they will react going
to shorter daylight. This is an experiment for me.

4 Likes

I’ve been growing seedlings under 24 hour light, fluorescents, grow bulbs and white, doesn’t hurt them, seems they are growing faster.

4 Likes

DSCN9511

Chanterelle time again. Got 34 gallons in 3 hours this evening. Still another hundred gallons in our usual picking spot. We’ll try to get half of those tomorrow after our training. More plentiful than usual this year.

8 Likes

Hi all, Was out picking raspberries today, and found these mushrooms, are they chanterelle?

6 Likes
3 Likes

those are definately eastern orange chanterelles, also sometimes called Appalachian Chanterelles.
very good fried in oil with onions. About 2/3 mushrooms to 1/3 onion with some salt and a little hot pepper…
The funnel shape gives it away. There are chanterelles that don’t have such a pronounced funnel shape but are still good to eat. There are also some white varieties out west, but I have never seen any of those. There are some look-alikes for color but none of them that I know of have a funnel shape and that orange color. If they have a stalk that comes all the way up to the cap without flaring out at all, they are the look alikes. But as far as I know, even the so-called look-alikes aren’t actually dangerous.

Bill, thanks for the article. I learned something about the jack-0-lanterns. Erika and I were up on Cheaha MT this weekend. Got away for ou anniversary…Went mushroom hunting and found a new variety that looked like clumped-up chanterelles, sort of,. I didn’t know what they were for sure so I kept them in a different bag for later id. I think you just helped me to do so.
So Al, they were different enough that I knew they were different even though I was not familiar with them. DOn’t be afraid of chanterelles. They are very good…

7 Likes

Anyone out there have a quick trick for ripening peppers.? We have a huge late crop of thai peppers that are just days from turning to a marketable color, but are going to frost out tonight.

Anyone know how to make the mostest/ bestest ethylene gas quickly?

All I know is the setting out in sunlight trick, and keep them warm, accelerates the ripening.

They say confining stuff in a poly bag with ripe apples accelerates ripening, apparently apples are the classic source of ethylene gas.

2 Likes

Put in cool dark area, with bananas. Bananas give off a lot of gas to ripen

4 Likes

Just ate a duck egg omlete with wild leaks for supper. Delicious. This year they started early. @pepe2000 your guys already started growing?

2 Likes

Ummmm, not quite :smile:

6 Likes

Haha!
Pepe, that’s about what it looks like around here.
I was about to remind Kristijan not everyone live close to the equator, but you beat me to it :smile:

7 Likes

Still have about 18" of snow in the woods.

4 Likes

Up where my parent’s cabin is around eagle river, WI, there was about 4 feet of snow not too long ago. Since then there was no place to put the snow before it would melt, so we had to haul it in the back of my step fathers truck, then dump it in the woods. There are a great variety of mushrooms that come in early summer up in the north woods, and there are plenty of wild edible herbs for cooking. One of the most popular mushrooms to northern Wisconsin is wild Reishi, or ganoderma tsugae, it is superior in medicinal uses compared to other mushrooms. I also have tried garlic mustard, the flowers are good dried and crushed to give a sort of spice in a recipe. Tyler.

6 Likes