Asparagus and other wild edibles

Now that is a monster! Biggest I have found is maybe 2lbs, I like to pick them when they are about the size of grapefruit or bigger, but the window of time they grow in can be really short and hard to time it to get the best size

6 Likes

Dana walked to the top of the hill across from us. And found this beautiful asparagus growing in the neighbors field.

It was a orchard many years ago.
Stop drooling Marcus.
Bob

8 Likes

Many reasons i question why i live on the wet side of the state, guess i better add another reason to the list!

7 Likes

Yesterday I dug ramps, ate with supper, wife said ‘‘wow you stink’’ I said that’s a good, sign they are working. :rofl:

7 Likes

Never heard of ramps to eat - only to load cars on trailers. What are they?

9 Likes

Wild leeks. I tried to send pictures from my phone, won’t take my log in info. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

They are one of the first plants up in spring. Mountain people claimed it is a spring tonic, and blood purifier, after eating mostly meats all winter. :raccoon: :deer: :boar: :turkey: :rooster:

7 Likes

Dana went for another walk with the grandchildren today one hand full bunch of asparagus,
It is poping up. I need to take a mile walk where I know where some plants are along the Columbia River. Bob

6 Likes

I know that this topic is about wild edibles, but concerning the asparagus, our county is proudly the biggest and most famous producent of asparagus in Czech republic. The single farm in small village few miles away from my home has almost thousand acres of fields with both green and white asparagus. They are serving not only local market, but supply their highest quality asparagus all across the world. This year asparagus season started on Easters and I heard owner of the farm speaking about one of their first delivery this year heading to Osaka, Japan.
Since the farm lies close to my way to work, I serve my colleagues with fresh asparagus each week. Last delivery was 25 kg of fresh asparagus just cut on the field.

10 Likes

When I built one of my gardens I ran a 4X50 foot row of asparagus down a bed in the center of the place. I only like fresh asparagus, not canned, and there is only so much you can eat when it comes up. I finally got tired of fighting the mess of the fronds when they got head high and probably foolishly tore out that bed. You don’t want to do that. I spent days with a mattock trying to chop those roots out. Two things that need to be planted in their own space away from everything else. Asparagus and Rhubarb.

9 Likes

When I lived in Louisville Co, I would walk the irrigation canals and cut pounds of wild asparagus, here in western Pa we too have ramps. Our growing season is late enough that the asparagus in the garden has not started. The fruit trees were getting ready to bloom a few days ago, and yesterdays snow did not seem to hurt them.
Kent

6 Likes

Today I have thirty more years to go to be 100 years old. Wow! I am almost 3/4 of the way there.
Dana asked what do you want to do? I said go on a Sabbath walk and look for asparagus, I love eating it fresh. Well this turned out to be a beautiful gift. Thank you YEHOVAH God in your
Son Yeshua Name.

Over 2 1/2 pounds, this is the most we have ever harvested on a walk around where we live.
God is so Good.
Bob

12 Likes

Hi Bob thats a nice find for wild food, i thought you lived in northern country, it caint be too long of a winter ware you live, i wish i knew half what you farmers here on dow know. Happy 3 score and ten.

3 Likes

There is asparagus all the way up into Canada. It likes a little drier climate then over on the rainy west side of the state but it grows even over there in curtain places. It seems to like a more sandy soil.
I live in central Washington State just a few miles from the center marker of the state.
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply , bob mac,Happy birthday, it must be a warmer state than michigan, our grass hasent even turned green yet, though it look like it started too get green the other sunny day we had, another week of mostley cloudy weather this week too.At leiste were not in as much of a drought as last year was though.SWEM.

4 Likes

Happy birthsday dear friend!

Ha, we add our years together and we wuld still fall short to 100 :smile:

6 Likes

Happy Birthday Bob :birthday:

6 Likes

Happy birthday Bob, and that there may follow many years.

Kristijan, not dirty yet? Enjoy! Best time of your life!

4 Likes

Happy birthday Bob.
I remember the thrill of hiking along the Columbia near Kennewick and finding asparagus. What, it grows wild?

5 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bob .

You are trying to catch me !

Happy Birthday :blush:

6 Likes