Asparagus and other wild edibles

Wish you would have posted this earlier. I pulled all my lambs quarter dang it

2 Likes

Great thread! Sure have to try that weeds out.

The jerusalem artichokes are eaten raw here in salads. Great taste and it ripes in the fall so we dig it all winter. The taste gets better when the frost gets them

3 Likes

Thank you, Kristijan, I knew I left something out, raw indeed sliced into salads like carrots.

2 Likes

Let me remind you foragers that the cattails are growing and will be flowering soon. Take advantage and gather some pollen. I’d better get out tomorrow because they don’t flower for long. Wait a week and you could miss the pollen. I’ll post what I find tomorrow, unless there’s a bunch of garage sales.
Pepe

2 Likes

Here’s another valuable survival, multi purpose, cut and come again plant, comfrey. I grow it all over my garden and use every leaf as potassium rich mulch. Also rich in nitrogen, it won’t rob the nitrogen already in your soil. Potassium is very soluble and leaches out of the top soil easily resulting in a potassium deficiency. Comfrey roots mine deep potassium, store it and supply it to your plants as it biodegrades as mulch. You can use this in any space in your yard or garden, one plant or a group. Easy to care for, almost set it and forget it. It’s not too fussy about where it grows. Deep roots = drought resistance. It’s also a beautiful looking plant. The bees love it! It makes a nice mild flavored tea, very good with honey.The bruised leaves make a great poultice. I can vouch for this. Helps with burns, too. Here’s some more info on comfrey;

I extended my raspberry rows and planted comfrey every 2’ on the border. I will also plant comfrey along all the new rows. It doesn’t impede the raspberry plant growth, as you can see. Plant it in your weed patch. Plant it anywhere. Plant it everywhere and forget needing 10-10-9999999!
Pepe

5 Likes

It is a great plant but a hardy one. VERY hardy one. And it reproduces fast. Last year l saw a few of them on our oats feald and this year it almost overgrown our barley! It was a lot of work for me and my wife to get rid of it.

The roots are alsow great medicine. Dry them and pulverize and when you cut your self rub that powder on the cut. It stops the blod imediatly!

3 Likes

Hi Kristijan

You cultivate barley and oats for what purpose?

Last year we had oats for the horses and this year barley for pigs, cows and chickhens.

4 Likes

What kind of mix do you feed your chickens? Barley and oats I could probably grow…

l mix barley, corn and store bought chickhen feed in about equal parts for the meat chickens the hens just get corn and barley. l am planing to replace that chickhen feed (composed of soya (GMO!) corn and sunflower mostly) with homegrown soya beans next year. Planted it for the first time this year to se if it grows well here and to get more seeds for next year.

1 Like

We also have a farm (actually a mini-farm): a cow, a goat, 10 sheep, pig, poultry and beehives … 3 children!

3 Likes

Children are a hard crop to grow… Very complex feed

4 Likes

Seems like I remember that soybeans need to be cooked before feeding them to birds.

1 Like

You remember correctly! Its usualy roasted.

l have one of those “hard to grow crop”… he is 1 year old and he realy loves to help in the garden. He is great at weeding. I think you get the idea how that looks like :wink:

4 Likes

We have a part of the garden bed in the greenhouse and several pots planted with dandelions and all our old seed that will probably not propagate well. Darcy is 4 1/2 Daphne is 21/2 both love to “help” so those parts are “theirs”. They are getting there though😁 We like to think of ourselves as “back to the landers” our kids are “on the landers”. Hope that makes sense to you.

4 Likes

product grains to feed animals from a farm requires a very large organization .What equipment do you use?

1 Like

Hi Kristijan,
I keep at it by digging up some with roots cut right off a large plant. I made the mistake of rototilling a few plants one year. Within a couple weeks I had little plants all over the rototilled area. It had a plant for every speck of root left. Thus I dig to control and don’t turn my back on it, lol.
Pepe

1 Like

The farming “equipment”:

The barley in late April and my “mechanisation” on it :wink: You can se the comfrey. Lots of work to put it down…

l like to do as much as l can by hand. Its the only respectfull way to take things from nature.
David l its never to early to teach our kids to respect and take care for plants so looks like we share that idea!
Here is a nother great edible:

lts called “gods bread” here and it is so nice to eat it just fresh prom the soil while weeding the garden. It is as sour as a lemon due to oxalic acid. Great for thirst first aid.

5 Likes

We’ve got that here too… we call it sour clover. Tasty!

2 Likes

And to add a little “bite” to a salad. Have a bit of it here, also, where it’s called yellow Woodsorrel.
Pepe

2 Likes