Aussie biochar cattle farmer

I wondered what that funny taste was :slight_smile:
Yes, I use that same kind of urinal at my house. Urine is the best inoculant for biochar.

2 Likes

Are you two keeping a delicacy a secret from the rest of us??? What is a Tunnbrod? ( I could not make the kind of “O” you used) TomC

ItÂŽs a flat rye? bread, baked preferably in a wood heated oven, similar to a pizza oven.
“Tunnbröd” actualy means “thin bread”. LotÂŽs of people who have access to a wood heated oven make their own tunnbröd for Christmas.

1 Like

It is a Swedish Flat bread and is different from other Flat Breads in that it uses some Rye four, lots of melted butter and maple syrup, as well as yeast. To prevent it from rising up and forming a ball shape like for Pita Bread, they use a corrugated rolling pin, and to prevent black char both sides are brushed with a stiff brush to remove loose flour. I don’t have a corrugated rolling pin, so I go over the whole thing with an old meat tenderizer hammer, which creates the same pattern. Here is a YouTube Video showing one going into a wood fired oven. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fz_W9fGYg
As I write this, I am recovering from my mid-day siesta while drinking a strong cup coffee, and munching on a quarter of a Swedish Thin Bread (Tunnbröd).

3 Likes

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a pizza oven in my kitchen? It looks very good but a lot of work goes into it and the timing at different points of the making. TomC

1 Like

I made some charcoal here yesterday and dumped out the outer barrel of my double barrel retort here this morning. It didn’t take the chickens long to find multiple uses for it either. The rest from the outside barrel was already put in the garden compost. Yesterday’s went in the chicken coop and a pile by the garden fence where I pee.

5 Likes