BBQ with BIOchar

I was emptying my char today and throwing it in my burn pit since I already have a lit stored away… I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to BBQ with it? It seems like it would be a lot healthier then using the pre bricked coal

2 Likes

Yes! I have, it works great. Burns much hotter and faster, so you’ll have to adjust your cooking routine. Less smoke and ash.

Most folks don’t know, Kingsford type briquettes contain a fair percentage of fossil coal - yes, from coal mines. Not what I want on my food, thanks anyways…

4 Likes

thats what I wanted to hear, thanks

1 Like

I have too. I saved a lot of charcoal from Argos for our wood cooking stove.

2 Likes

“Most folks don’t know, Kingsford type briquettes contain a fair percentage of fossil coal - yes, from coal mines. Not what I want on my food, thanks anyways…” ~ @Chris

I’m glad I’ve always been picky and used real “lump”/“cowboy” charcoal for cooking…

I have been using my engine grade charcoal for over 2 years now for my BBQ and just works great , but as mentioned it does burn hotter and faster, so just before winter all the fines from sieving out the small partials and dust I mix with rice water/ starch and press it into charcoal briquettes and leave it in the warmth to dry out and boy they work great and last a fair good time too .

3 Likes

id like to see a video of you making those briquettes, I like that idea

2 Likes

They say a pictures worth a thousand words , but … if the wife saw what I was using as a mould for my briquettes I bet she would go 2 thousand or more words !! , ok maybe next time I’m next to one of those things women call kitchen shops I will sneak in and replace the cup cake baking tray I "borrowed! .
To be honest I sorta ruined her baking tray after a while , and ended up just cupping my hand around the wetted dust and fines and sqeezed it into a sorta ball , still work great as long as you make a dent so they don’t roll away !
Don’t have any video or pictures of what I did to make then , but easy enuff to do just boil up some rice with extra water take out most of the rice and put aside for a stir fry and then mix some of the water and a few grains of the rice in with your fines and dust and then sqeeeeze .

2 Likes