Best Generator?

We have North Star gen heads we can get here made in the USA. They are made using Mecc Alte parts. Me I will never buy another turd from Mecc Alte ever again. They would not cover shipping damage on a 50 kW head we ordered and were stuck with it.

1 Like

I understand that most engines are copys of the main stream engine manufacturer’s and also electronics , but as of yet we have not seen any larger KW units here in Aus in any make / brand , i have imported machines from China since living here so as soon as i can find some i will be bringing in some units for friends and 1 for myself of course .

Wallace and Matt thanks for the info i shall get searching here later today , in the mean time i have some of these to look at Wallace you mentioned Torrified well last week i found someone advertising charcoal pellets for sale , i have a sample at the post office i will go collect later today , but in the mean time i think these are torrified pellets and not charcoal ,
charcoal  pellets
it will be interesting to play with them later today they do snap apart like charcoal but unless its made with a binder i think they will be torrified

3 Likes

North star I think is a Kubota with a bolted to a Mecc-Alte.

I think they are made in Toronto as well…

A real Kubota is made in Japan.
It has tracks or wheels.

A Kubota generator is made in China by MQ power.
I don’t understand the arrangement but its a bugger to swindle parts out of a wheeled equipment dealer for an engine on a generator

1 Like

Yeah Im done with large engine generators for stationary power. Teaming up the inverter genny’s is the only way to go. You can team as many as you want as long as your wiring has the integrity to support the team.

1 Like

yeah Ive been there, Im done with it. Off the shelf inverter genny’s are the ticket.

2 Likes

This one makes my head spin.

Its says Rolls on the outside of the box…
Inside its a Maibach marine diesel driving a head of unknown manufacture in the USA…
Processing: image.png…

reminds me of the Messerspit…

2 Likes

I don’t know what the exchange rate is for pounds to dollars, but if I’m paying 800 a month in dollars, or 9600 a year and still can’t rely on a steady power supply, I’m going to get a lot less concerned about how much an alternate system costs. I’d be looking for a four pole gen head and a small water cooled engine to power it. Actually I have both but just not any time to try and mate them. Hopefully this winter.

2 Likes

I’m old enough to remember the last time the uk was in such a pickle.

It wasn’t pretty

1 Like

Ya that looks like a densified and torrified product.
Don’t be surprised if its very very hot.

Raw wood always brings too much water into the process even if the wood is a dry as practical.
Its just chemestry, and there is a lot of water bound up and locked into wood.

Torrification however changes the chemical properties of the wood.
Its turning the wood into something approaching medium grades of coal, but without all the nastey heavy metals, high ash, and sulpur.

Its also much less energy intensive to produce than charcoal.
We use 50% of the woods heating value in some cases to make charcoal.
My math says we can reduce that to less than 20% with torrified products.

With some tinkering we higher higher heating values and the potential to make even better gas from it than Wood but without all the wasted energy as char.

Potential even simpler gasifiers using a single inlets air down draft systems.
Pulverized fluid bed at a small smaller scale might even work for stationary ( I still think this is the holy grail of stationary gasification )

Its all about the refining of the fuel.

3 Likes

That is what Im hopping the VersiFire will accomplish.

2 Likes

HI Matt that was a excellent dementration on the welding capacity, thanks for posting .

2 Likes

I collected my sample bag of torified wood pellet yesterday i just need to now make sure i can get this material on a regular basis before deciding what way to go forward with them , but so far the heat from just a few pellets is incredible and yesterday after noon i put a couple into a jar of water and left them for 14 hours over night and they are still as good as the dry ones !

This is the sample bag with the soaked pellet and a bit to the left hardly any diff at all .

4 Likes

Are them home made pellets from saw dust. How were they torified may i ask,THANKS

1 Like

Hi Kevin , i doubt they are Homemade due to the price and amount i am being offered , but until i speak to them with the amount i want i wont know for sure , all i do know as Wallace has pointed out are the benefits of using Torified wood , and these just came along a week ago and so i am still deciding what way to go with them , we do have a couple of pellet heaters at the yard that are pretty old and we were looking at buying new ones so we may use them for heating our homes as they can be made to come on during the early morning while still asleep so thats 1 use the other would be to use them in our downdraft systems we are building mixed in with our charcoal but until we know for sure we will maybe just buy and hold onto them for a rainy day .

3 Likes

OK thanks, i will study up on torified wood makeing and benifits using, interesting.

1 Like

those do look like saw dust .
In the extrusion process to make these that uses the natural heat and friction of compression to cause them to stick together.

But these darker pellets look to have been made in a heated extrusion press of some sort,

2 Likes

Ya nothing will eat them and they are less likely to absorb water than wood.
The process cooks the locked in water out, then it starts to break down the lignin and cooks them to the point the tar starts to form and this seals the wood,
Like I said this is green coal…

When you burn these very little of the heating value of the wood is used to drive off moister.
They are more dense than wood to so pound for pound these are better than wood, maybe better than charcoal

You don’t have to compress it.
the same process applied to regular raw wood blocks will make something insect and rot resistant, moisture resistant and with a high heating value without cooking half the energy out of it like charcoal production.

As long as they are “Refined” to a tolerance and have a consistent size in pellet or block form these will outperform wood and charcoal.
They will feed easy without sticking together like raw chips.
They won;t make dust and crumble like charcoal.

This in a powder form is the holy grail fuel for the fluid bed gasifier, but no one actually makes and sells is as such.
Dammed if i can fugue re out how to make it without excess input energy to process so it seems to me its best suited to a conventional down draft gasifier in block or chip form

3 Likes

You guys are going way off tangent on Ashley’s thread.

5 Likes

Yup…
But I think we answered the questions…
Any more questions Ashley?

Hey Ashley:
This is a Petter AV2 series 2 these used to be pretty common and parts are still easy to get.
They can pull on a gasifier and here is the best part…

if you can get waste oil filter it well and thin it with some petrol then your fuel costs drop like crazy!
The wood gas can displace about 2/3 of the diesel you would normally burn and this will also help reduce carbon from the heavy oil, less smoke when running ect…
Run the engine around 1200 rpm driving a large alternator to charge batteries and this could be a very effective way to make use of your wood scraps as well as heat the shop.

3 Likes

Has any one had any heavy use experiance with the duromax generators, They sell cheaper or maybe there not inverter generators.THANKS

1 Like