Bill S chunker

That would be what I prefer. That was just another option depending on what you have available. That looks real nice Bill.

Marvin

Sorry Marvin, I stole that picture off the internet to see if this is what you meant. When you said sleeve, this is what I thought you meant until you sent that other picture. I will see what I can do.

@MarvinW
Okay, hereā€™s what I came up with.

Look for a FastenAll store near you. They have everything.

1 Like

I do have a Fastenal near me Carl.
I got a little more work done on the chunker today and yesterday.
I also threw some paint on it for those hard to reach areas. Well I had to throw a little paint on the fly wheel too. I may be a bit impatient.
I also tacked on the bottom rail.
Next on the to do list is the frame for the trailer.

Deja vuā€¦ :smiley:

Also:

Will do Chris.
Neither of those two links went anywhere for me. Not sure why?

The markdown didnā€™t transfer properly when I quoted that other post.

Those are dummy links, just for an example.

https://driveonwood.com/pics/some-picture.jpg  << two spaces
   [empty line]
   https://driveonwood.com/pics/another-picture.jpg

EDIT: this post is obsolete! Pictures will space themselves out.

1 Like

Fired up the wood stove in the garage after work to get some work done on the chunker tonight. Between the cold and strong winds it stayed smokey in the garage. Iā€™ve never had that happen before. I would think the heat would be enough to maintain a decent draft.

Did you check your chimney? I had a crow sit up on top once enjoying some heat and then got overcome by fumes and fell down and blocked the draft. Creosote will also plug it up.

1 Like

@don_mannes, I did a visual check from below. I have a screened cap on the stack to keep critters out. There was some smoke coming out of it. Maybe I can talk my son into going up there for a more thorough check.

Went up on the roof yesterday after the garage filled up with smoke again. The chimney cap was almost completely plugged with dried creosote. I have class A insulated chimney from the ceiling to the chimney cap. The only buildup was right at the cap. I dropped it on the ground a few times and all the creosote broke loose.
The stove is breathing well now and the garage is warming up again. Thanks @don_mannes!

1 Like

Answer to that is smaller hotter fires, and more air. If you overload the stove and thereā€™s not enough secondary air, youā€™ll get creosote - the insulated chimney is just keeping it from sticking. Creosote = fuel = potential heat thatā€™s drifting out the top.

If itā€™s burning clean youā€™ll see little or no smoke out the top.

1 Like

Because I am making this trailer road worthy I figure I better figure a way to wire it for lights. One of the problems up here with trailers is the same as our vehiclesā€¦rust. This is my potential solution for prolonging the onset of rust and get my wires to the back of the trailer while still being able to remove the tongue or slide the tongue towards the back of the trailer.
I cut a 1" coupling in half and welded it to the rear trailer tubing. I had a 1", 3ā€™ galvanized pipe in the garage left over from my other project. This way I can feed the wires though to the back corners where I also have holes drilled before welding.

3 Likes

I had a hub made to receive the cutter. Not sure if I need to but this will allow me to remove the cutter. It will allow me to try different things in the future.
The hub is 3/4" steel with lugs pressed in. Now I need to able to get it centered to the shaft. I had them drill a 1/4" hole in the center for that purpose.

I centered this as best I could and am off 1/32" on the vertical and horizontal axis. I am hoping that will be ok?

Welded on some 1/4" flat bar fins to the back of the hub for more contact surface

Notice how I keep the pictures tight on the subject as to not share how messy my garage is?

2 Likes

HI BIll,
Very nice. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing it GO!! Looks like Iā€™m going to have to make use of chips here. The tree trimming companies are always looking for somewhere to dump their chips. Nothing but waste wood here in Oregon. I canā€™t wait to demonstrate to folks what can be done with all that wood! Great design your doing. have fun always, Gordon

1 Like

@gordonooghe Can you talk to the tree trimming companies to let you grab the branches instead of chipping them up? I would have to think it would be more difficult drying chips than chunks and keep them from getting moldy. I talked to only one guy here and he said I could have all I want, less for him to worry about. Heā€™s a small company and maybe thatā€™s why he is more agreeable?
Iā€™m not as good as fabricating as most of you guys on here and sometimes turn to the pros during my build when I think itā€™s important and can afford it. The guy that watered jetted this hub for me wants to cut floor drain covers for our company, so it worked out well. Iā€™m glad to get past this hurdle.

Bill S,
Maybe you could get him to cut grates for our gasifiers too. I think here with all the extreme heat here in the summer I donā€™t think mold will be too big a problem. I hope not. Even if I have to turn the piles w/ the tractor. Trying to get the branches would mean following the trucks around and loading them myself. Iā€™m sure it could be done but hopefully I will be busy building gasifiers! Gordon

1 Like

I like the ā€œwheel rimā€ design. Youā€™re smart to have the chunker done first. Thereā€™ll be no stopping you that way.Wishing you warm weather, but not the mud, and pot holes we have.

2 Likes