Bill S simple fire charcoal gasifier

Do you see this Troy?! Looks familiar.
Marco, has this fixture been made yet?

I’m chiming in a bit late here, but here’s how I cut propane tanks. I fill them with water for a day then empty them. Add 1 quart vinegar and a small box of baking soda. This will fill tank with CO2. Cut as desired.
Pepe

1 Like

Marco,

Yes the engine (or blower) would suck air through these holes. Of course, this is our idea for a one-size-fits-all gasifier. I’d love to be able to make a unit that can give you the exact amount of gas you need.

The size of the holes will be calculated. The beauty of this concept is that even the air displacement of a single engine can vary dramatically. And this idea could compensate for running idle, or full load.

With this design, we are trying to normalize air velocity. There are direct correlations between air velocity and temperatures. I have several charts from the old-timers (1919 England and Germany), that show the gas flow based on temperatures. Of course, they used coke/coal… We are using charcoal.

At 1,300 Celcius, we have the best and richest gas… The level of CO2 drops dramatically. CO increases, H2 increases, and Nitrogen reduces, because the steam displaces the normal amount of ambient air that would normally be pulled into the system.

So, whether we are running a 6HP engine, or a 30 HP engine, the air velocity is the same at each hole. The only difference is the number of holes that are “open.”

This is the idea, Marco. It’s only a concept at this stage… Any thoughts?

Here are 9 short videos that illustrate what we’re trying to do with cracking steam:

Troy

Marco,

One last thing… We are eliminating the grate. We found VERY little ash after 8 hours of running… The ash is being blown up through the system, and the cyclone is catching most of it.

Troy

Hello Troy… No recycle of exaust gas from the engine?

I watch the videos … white flame=1000°C blue flame=1200°C… Hydrogen flame=invisible flame more than 1500°C
Some hydrogen and oxygen reacted with charcoal return back into steam first to reach the burner.

Marco,

Are you suggesting that we weren’t burning hydrogen? And that anything we cracked, reverted to steam?

We had not a single drop of condensation in the cyclone, or the media filter, both of which were ambient temperature for a long time…

I haven’t had our gas tested, so i don’t really know what we were burning. But I believe we were burning a large amount of H2.

Troy

Marco,

We haven’t progressed to the point yet of testing the engine. Once we do, we have the option of routing a portion of the exhaust gasses back into the 2nd air inlet. Ideally, by insulating the core, we will create enough heat so that it requires more steam, and more exhaust gasses as a coolant.

That’s the hope… We have a long way to go, and many things yet to discover.

Troy

When you burn hydrogen you obtain an energetic transparent flame… in presence of CO you must obtain blue/clear flame. I’m pretty sure that you are burning nitric acid HNO3 and CO.

Kevin,

Our gas is bone dry… We haven’t tried running the engine yet, because we just ran the system for the second time. We need to dial a few things in first before we run the generator. Also, I think we are trading in the 8.75kW for a 15kW… Don’t want to dirty up a brand new generator. They won’t take it back.

Not sure if the color is the same without the flare pipe…

Troy

Cleaned up this thread some. Sorry about that Bill. Can you guys please take the Openfire discussion back to its own thread. Thanks.

Sorry Chris… Sorry Bill…