BIOCHAR The Science Behind It

Excelent short video!!

Biochar – Putting the carbon Genie back in the bottle: Rob Lerner at TEDxSanMiguelDeAllende (2013)

1 Like

Zucchini always grows fast anyway! Slice it up and pan fried, or make a zucchini /egg /biscuit mix / veg oil baked casserole. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Mike, thats exactly what we did with the first one. They were very good, nice texture and taste.

2 Likes

NEW VIDEO FIRST PART

The Promise of Biochar – Part 1 (09:35)

3 Likes

NEW VIDEO SECOND PART

The Promise of Biochar - Part 2 (Biochar on the Farm)

2 Likes

TEDxBerkeley - Lopa Brunjes - Biochar: An Ancient Solution to a Modern Problem (18:33)

1 Like

UPDATE

Biochar: The Oldest New Thing You’ve Never Heard Of: Wae Nelson at TEDxOrlando
TEDx Talks

1 Like

Abner,
This talk is OK, It is a good overview and introduction. What I am not that crazy about is his math (Two USA football fields are 96,000 square feet, not 9000) and the lack of original work. Most of his data and pictures are others’ work from the internet. (some credited).
The BBC4 documentary he mentions (about El Dorado) is worth watching if your internet allows, about an hour long!

I agree Mike, sometimes people are not totally sincere, either they omit or just past the page. I posted it because I think that we have to spread this information. Most of the people are ignorants of this very usefull information. We, in our family, are pationates of sustainable farming. Aldo I´m an anaesthesiologist, I live in a farm about 450 miles from work, but without the farm life I couldn´t live. The farm gives me the energy to attack city life.

8 Likes

Found a good resume video.

Hope you like it. :+1:

1 Like

BAMBOO BIOCHAR
New Video

Hi my dear friends,
keeping in touch again; I had various problems that had to be solved and was out of the chat (at least no so frequent has before). I had a large list of items on my office and in the farm. My wife gave a huge list of chores (haven´t fiiished yet).
I found a very interesting new video on the subject. Hope you like it, very simple and explicit.
Abner

This the video:

3 Likes

I had a galvanised washtub full of biochar standing by my garden for a few weeks. When I carried it there it was very light but then it rained - a lot - and the char soaked up the moisture and yesterday I was going to spread it on the garden before fall tilling and even though it looked dry I could hardly lift the tub. One of the benefits of biochar I read is the ability to hold moisture (and nutrients). Looks like the moisture holding part is true!

9 Likes

I was picking up out between the chicken coop and the garden yesterday where I last made charcoal. There was a sheet of plywood on the ground covered in charcoal. It was saturated and froze solid. Temps in the sun in mid 30s. I found that scraping it with a square shovel each time I walked by was a easy dust free way to size it.
It will now go the in the chicken coop, compost pile next then on into the garden.

8 Likes

Hi Don, that´s a fact. What we do is, that we make biochar in dry we do not spay water to cool or stop de pirolisis (see our video) it comes out dry. Than we soak it in a mixture of worm liquid, cow manure and “rock flower” (pulverized rocks) and molases. It sucks it all over night and next day we drain and put it in sealed bags (to use later). A small cup per normal small plants or a big cup for tomatoes and the results are fabulous. I´ll try to upload de link. I´m having trouble with my internet.

1 Like

This is how our biochar comes out the next day

5 Likes

Hi every body, found this new and interesting video to keep the chat alive. Hope you like it, I did.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link…

The video highlights what a great restoratative plant is bamboo, and biochar from it.
We must give credit to our creator for designing such wonderful things for our benefit.
There is no better way to show our appreciation than to learn to use it effectively.
Sadly this lady if a proponent of the large scale, throw money at the problem philosophy.
It has been well established that the earth will clean and repair itself IF we stop polluting, and excessive harvesting. Most of the excessive use is caused by this greedy commercializing of everything. Small scale individual use of the things of nature are easily supported.
End Of Rant.

5 Likes

The only thing she forgets is that Carbon from the bamboo is excellent as fossil fuel replacement.

Replace fossil fuels by any wood you grow and you’l save the world…

DOW or driving on wood, is the only known fuel usage that actually takes carbon pollution from the air and subsequently being used as fuel.

As solar panel vehicles are running on solar energy, then woodgas vehicles are running on air pollution.

7 Likes

Koen,
when you say "…taking Carbon pollution from the air… are you meaning because the trees and bamboo in your case are absorbing the CO2 to make our biomass?
Speaking of bamboo, I have been unable to find a bamboo that would grow in my climate as we discussed in the car.

1 Like