Bombardier Rotax 250cc 2 stroke

The OP design is probably the best choice.
Turbo charged.

Really smart fellow could probably design a tuned intake and exhaust that would allow the engine to run with a small supercharger using little boost.
But it would run best at only one speed

1 Like

Yes thats the thing with 2 strokers. They can be tooned perfectly but they work best at fixed load/rpm.

3 Likes

Thinking real hard now and I seem to recall there were some commercial application for two stroke semi diesel with gas producers.
I am thinking it was lanz that made the producer powered tractors.

I have wanted one of these big bore Andoria engines for years.
Can’t buy these in Canada but I imagine this would be the best choice for a dual fuel producer powered tractor.

Every video on the subject seems to come with a lot of swearing,

Added:
I decided to visit the Andoria site and they are still making the hopper cooled stationary engines.
I wish I could buy one…
I used to import and sell engine and now it so hard to get around the emissions regulations.
I imagine it will not be long before Poland adopts the EU standards and they are gone too.
http://www.andoria.com.pl/andoria-mot/photo/andoria/s321.html

3 Likes

Hi Wallace,

That is an 4 stroke diesel engine, single cylinder, big bore yes but no need to despair… now they are made by Yanmar , Kobuta and more… even with electric start…

Here a clip where i make an old Yanmar “snif” charcoal gas…
No modifications where made so you can hear the little “knacky” sound

3 Likes

Hello Kohen:
I know that made this same basic type in many countries and there are different versions.
Some of the best are from Japan and some of the worst are Chinese.
Before the CEPA banned the import of the non compliant types from China a lot of very bad engines were sold here and people will not touch one from Asia now even if it does say Kubota.
Another problem Most of the Japanese will not support these engines if imported to Canada.
They will not sell you parts to an engine with a serial number that complies to a Canadian product ( this is to reduce competition from used imports )

On the other hand if you buy an Andoria, Farrymen or one of the other well known brands from Eroupe you can buy parts for dealers and get them imported.
Its harder the other way around from Asia.
I buy my Honda parts from a dealer in Thailand.
Duetz is not very happy with me because I imported clone FLW912 clone from KOEL and sold them as knock down kits and parts.
Their dealer network will also not support licensed product form Asia ( they really do not like me, serving me with a cease and desist order in 2004 )

I think the design can be traced back to Duetz too.
Interesting to watch you can see this is a match light engine and needs a burning wick to cold start.

Some of these engines use a pre-cup Recardo type combustion chamber ( easier to cold star )
Some use a DI head and these are better for dual fuel and wood gas. ( Andoria types are DI engines )

4 Likes

I am going to post one more video of a very interesting engine I know nothing about.
This is a Sato from japan made in the 30s, hot bulb semi diesel two stroke case scavenged and all that good stuff that relates back to the being of the thread.

This might work with wood gas .
And its preheated with charcoal…
I wish I had one of these.

I keep finding cool stuff
Bulldog crawler overhaul where you see some of the interesting details of this engine’s construction.

3 Likes