Building for big engines

Hi Koen
The compression of the diesel engine of your truck is how much?
I read that you should not exceed 17/1 compression with the gas that wood!
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

The CR also know as the compression Ratio should indeed be lower then standard

That is why i tend to use Turbo engines, without the Turbo, they start with lowest CR

Your can hear the sound of this Pickup that it was on the “edge” but still ok.
The block had nearly a million Km on it, but still alive, i didn’t bother the compression testing, i just lowered the injection level and played a little with the timing untill the “knock” was acceptable… i still think the compression was low anyway…

At this moments, i am working on finding long stroke diesel engines to build them 100% gas and with some ethanol injection, automated.
Getting my hands on an old Isuzu block, DL200, 4 cylinder, with a bore of 79mm and a stroke of 107 mm ( 2,0 L or 122 Cu inch)
Its an old block, build untill 1966, but steel block and steel head…
The other, newer option, is the 4BD1 block and the 6BD1 block, 3,9Liters, 4 cylinder or 5,7 liters, 6 cylinders, both bore 102 mm , stroke 118 mm
Price rating for an overhauled block , 6BD1 is 2000,- $
Cheap here in SE asia and a large after market for spares and overhaul…

I think i can call the 6BD1 a big block ? :wink:

Koen
do you want to trigger the ignition of wood gas by injecting Ethanol?
I do not understand how this is possible!
Maybe you want to feed on the Etanol, your engine? If needed?
And remplasser injectors by candles
Thierry
Faux ?

Correct Thierry, replacing the diesel injectors by spark plugs.
Another injector system for ethanol fuel or gasoline for additional boost if needed.
Maybe experimenting for startup on propane/CNG and then switch to woodgas when gasifier is good to run…
Have just finnished experimenting with cng injection system on dual fuel diesel engine.
Project from Oil company… It works as a charm, but expensive computing for now.

Very impressive Koen.
You grow so fast that I think you are at least 12 to work!
Looking for another motor to replace the original one of your truck?
Why not increase the compression of a petrol engine?
This is not simple?

Hi Thierry,

The advantage from the diesel engine is that its build for the torque and to withstand the higher compression already. The long stroke is perfect for woodgas and or CNG due the slow burning rate.
I am experimenting for having the woodgas as preferred fuel, the hurdles are emission control and fuel efficiency.
I have many things to learn dough… but that learning process is utmost exiting…

Also, i have to build a small scale system, farmer style, to be presented at the asian gasification convention on 25 november. Most likely, the plastic - charcoal gasifier will be shown as well.

Hi koen
I do not want to influence your choice but do you think this pdf?
http://bookshop.europa.eu/hr/adaptation-optimale-de-groupes-moteurs-combustion-interne-gazog-ne-pbCDNA09714/downloads/CD-NA-09-714-FR-C/CDNA09714FRC_001.pdf;pgid=y8dIS7GUWMdSR0EAlMEUUsWb0000L6TCB411;sid=XHv_1gM7NZX_yFHqQ69hcWEeERjhpKH4ICs=?FileName=CDNA09714FRC_001.pdf&SKU=CDNA09714FRC_PDF&CatalogueNumber=CD-NA-09-714-FR-C.

1 Like

The pdf is in French, I hope you will understand that the same
Thierry

Hi Koen
Have you been able to read the pdf?
What do you think?

I was just able to connect to the link via some detours…
Downloading started, , will come back to reply if i did read the document

Wow, Thanks so much Thierry… This is a must read, must have for those who use the Charcoal and drive… Also a lot off clear explanations… Must have been written by a Belgian… :wink:
I think i have seen some of it when it was just written, during my military education…
Hence, a lot of this info i am using in my developments…
I enjoyed the part of the flame speed / per mix , that was missing in my library :wink:
Again, thanks
Its sure worth to translate it…
Who said that education sucks ?

2 Likes

Is there an english translation of this work?

2 Likes

Hello Don,
Download the file. Then go to Translate.Google.com. Click on the “From” and “To” tabs to select first, what language the original PDF is in (From), and what language you want it translated into (To). Then click on the blue “translate a document” 3. Click on “browse“ and then select the PDF file from your computer that you want translated.
When I did that this morning, Google did the text only and didn’t show the diagrams, so open another window with the French document so you can read both at the same time. I put this into my search engine to find the document, “adaptation-optimale-de-groupes-moteurs-combustion-interne-gazog-ne”, without the quotation marks. It is 44 pages long. In Linux, when you download it, it will be under “downloads”. Select “most recent” to find it. In Windoze, you may have to look and look, but it is somewhere…

4 Likes

Ray, can you save the 2 files and upload them ?

Koen, the downloaded file (in French) is 1.9 MB, and I can’t seem to save the translated file, but it since it doesn’t show the diagrams, it is only half done.

2 Likes

Thanks Ray, I got the whole thing translated and then copied and pasted including the charts into Word format. I don’t know how to share .doc files here though.

1 Like

Looks real nice, you teaching the kids with road wheels transit,are you adding a little used cooking oil to make that charco go a bit farther, for cooling. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Kevin, Not sure what you asked here :wink:
These 2 sets went to Nigeria.
On the other sets i have, we can drip anything into the coil to vaporise it.
All will pass trough the nozzle and the hot glowing char to be cracked.

Eventually i can connect the outlet from the coil to the intake from the engine, not tested that yet, but it would produce a useable effect if the fluid is sufficient clean after heating it up.

sure worth to try it… running to my shop, so to speak, for testing this idea…

Hi Koen

Koen interesting idea. Connect the coil has intake or the entrance of the gasifier!
Do you think the coil helps to protect the nozzle temperature too high?
Your design with coil seems posed fewer problems in the nozzle?
Thierry

1 Like

rolling stock , How many electromotive division locomotives still exist ? Could one with 3d printing and new cylinder head insert be converted to wood gas to produce power to fast charge electric cars ?