Can bio diesel or gasoline be made from wood viniger?

That’s a great question …

1 Like

Hi Wayne Kieth good evening, since you were at the proton power lab shop, I just woundered what the eficeincy of makeing wood too liquid form of fuel might be. ? And thanks for shareing your Your wood gas vehicle design, and all the driveing on wood vidios.

1 Like

ha dan the H tractor is easy to put any motor in I put a volvo motor with a volvo transmission in it runs well and i now have 12 speeds forward 3 reverse it will go as slow as a normal walk to aprox 55 mph top speed and with the governer it works great.

3 Likes

Good morning Kevin.

It was several years ago that I was there and hard to remember all they were doing but it was way over my head . I spent most of the time there giving rides .

I think using wood blocks/chunks is about as efficient as you can get .

7 Likes

I have considered something like that where you gain the extra transmission to allow a modern engine to run at higher RPM then the original motor. My biggest issue is the H doesn’t have live power so baling hay with it is not a fun process. I am reluctant to put too much time and money into something that isn’t a backup to my D17. Really just too many projects at the moment so the old H sits and I dream. I actually have a nice motor from a 15,000 watt generator that might find a new home on that H eventually. It would be a good size for that tractor and definitely more fuel efficient. Oh well at the moment the Pasquali is almost done and the big case 5240 is next on the repair list. Maybe next year the H can be pulled out of storage and looked at.

1 Like

Kohler air cooled diesels are exactly the same as the old Lombardini design, excellent motors. Lombardini in turn got the tech from ACME Motori back in the day… There are quite a few walk behind tractors with ACME/Lombardini/Kohler diesels on them, they will run for 50 years without a problem, just basic maintenance

6 Likes

Most of the wood → liquid plants are gen2, there are several companies in the US that focus on mainly jetfuel as it has a higher price. Gen2 is just synthesis, so break it down to CO, then reassemble into longer chains using the fischer-tropsch process. It is actually what oil companies use with NG to make lubrication oils.
Red Rock Biofuels, does it this way, there are a couple of others as well. Gevo is a company that is converted the cellulose into alcohol and reforming it as jetfuel. They end up with 99.9% the same as jetfuel made from oil. They changed the tolerance slightly to allow synthesized biofuels in aircraft.

Gen1 is the simple distillation, and it has a lot of various chemicals in it and some are really nasty like benzene and phenols. It tends to be fairly acidic and can eat engine components. It isnt necessarily a drop in replacement, and I don’t believe it mixes with regular fuel very well if at all. And you have to dewater it. Thus the initial questions.

1 Like