Ceramic fire tube

Small brake rotor from a junk yard.

3 Likes

mine is also a dome { 100lb propane tank } one less seam to worry about.

1 Like

I never thought about it but that dome seems like it wood serve as part of a gutter, keeping the tar and or slime slideing away from the burn tube and down in the tar gutter.Clever.

1 Like

Hello Al, I read your post with interest. Here is a suggestion if you are in the states. It is rock wool or mineral wool from Lowes or other suppliers. Not that expensive and very fire resistant it might be what you are looking for. 2150 degrees F!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWOOL-Wood-stud-R-15-59-7-sq-ft-Unfaced-Rock-Wool-Batt-Insulation-with-with-Sound-Barrier-15-25-in-W-x-47-in-L/3388304

Let me know what you think. sounds like you might also need a SS mesh to add in there for rigidity.
Anyway good luck.

1 Like

Hi Folks,
How do you attach the ceramic blanket to the inside of the firetube?

Here are some pictures of my firetube, top plate & etc. I made a ring with threaded holes in it. Screws go down into it from the top plate. Is this area going to be cool enough to seal with 650F RTV?

Thanks,
Rindert

!

2 Likes

cut it a tad big and it will stay where you put it by itself.

2 Likes

what don said and the nozzels extending through will help I also extended the top plate in farther so the wood don’t sit or hit the top of the ceramic .

7 Likes

Is this material good enough?
How about the price?

2 Likes

Thats the Stuff. You can get it from McMaster Carr too. I just ordered all the stuff to make Perlite / Aluminum Oxide barriers on the new machines. The combustion chamber and the reduction will both have a 1" thick wall of the stuff :fire:

5 Likes

That’s it Bill, are you making a fire tube?

2 Likes

Al, I don’t have my garage finished yet. I do want to. Likely I will build a charcoal gasifier first.
I think I will buy the ceramic blanket first. I just want to have the stuff here and ready. I think I have a the metal already.

2 Likes

Bill,
Are you planning to gas that big old plow truck?
Rindert

2 Likes

Gosh no Rindert. First of all, it’s a diesel. Secondly, I want a road worthy vehicle to be my first wood gas vehicle.

1 Like

Awww shucks! But hey tell us about this road worthy vehicle. :grin:

1 Like

I can’t remember where I bought mine, but it was a lot better deal than I found on ebay. I bought a 25’ roll, and used it for more than just the fire tube. As of right now I would build all my fire tubes this way, seems to hold up, and less work, and weight .

3 Likes

What? No flour and yeast ? :grinning:

Solar-Fuel

4 Likes