Charcoal gasifier for Jess's van

Jesse,
I learned to weld at classes given for adults at the local vocational school. Cost was minimal. Check out the local schools. Maybe they would do it if enough people expressed a concern.
Pepe

2 Likes

Hi Pepe,
I had thought of that,
the Sanilac County Career Center only offers classes in the fall
could not get any info on class cost,
But a friend said that he thought it was about 150 dollars for a 6 week course.
not too awful expensive but not in my budget just yet
maybe next yr.
Jesse

3 Likes

Andrew Pearce
Farm and Workshop Welding: Everything You Need to Know to Weld, Cut, and Shape Metal

That is a good book about welding. I haven’t welded in about 20 years myself and need to relearn how. I never was good at striking an ark but after that I was ok with a stick. I think I will be looking into a mig. I used a friends mig once and it is really easy compared to stick. I do have an old Lincoln tombstone kicking around.

As to the batteries I agree you don’t want to buy the one at a time. I would try taking to your mechanic he could probably get you a couple of batteries that cars reject but are ok. It wouldn’t be more then an experiment base because you want deep cycle or fork truck batteries car batteries just don’t have the cycle life.
Around here once you sell something for scrap they can’t resell it. Some stupid law. Some yards might turn a blind eye to your driving out with less weight in the back of your truck then you drove in with but they don’t want to get caught or known for it.

1 Like

This was an old thread I appreciate the thoughts and input
Sadly the old girl was just too old and finally died in the driveway. Love Chevies and GM products. Too bad they are not built as good as a Ford truck! Driving a 2001 f150 4x4 has a big V8 but gets about 18-20 mpg highway. Never worried about city mpg it always sucks
No matter what you drive!

3 Likes