Charcoal vs. Wood gasification

What about the water drip?

4 Likes

Yes Matt, I forgot that one. Thanks.
Bob

2 Likes

No water drip…,. no dice. lol

3 Likes

I hope you can translate this, Cody. From may old book.

5 Likes

Well from what I see the water drip could be added just before the ring nozzle.
I would add a restriction open to increase the air/gas velocities at that point with ash for protection on top. Talk about charcoal reserve below the nozzle ring or restrection opening if added… Wow it could handle a long high vaccum pull.
The manual grate shaker looks to be a problem if air leaks in at the shaft.
Bob

3 Likes

on my VW Fusca i will use charcoal, like as i saw a guy named Marcio in youtube using this in his second gen ford corcel 1.6, with very little gasifier wich is hidden in the corcel’s trunk, for me is a pro for charcoal because here in BR you can find it in every grocery store, and as you guys says reduces size of the gasifier…
Marcio’s Corcel Video(Brazilian-Portuguese ONLY)

4 Likes

Make sure it is real lump wood CHARCOAL and not the compressed charcoal dust with a bunch of additive to make it burn. You need the charcoal pieces to make the gases. CO, and H2, small amount of methane gases as they made in the hot charcoal bed.
Bob

3 Likes

If it is charcoal briquettes be careful.

Lump charcoal is what you would want, and grind it down a little.

4 Likes

I want to say the standard for bottom central shakers is to use two series of threads. A pipe in a pipe with a central bar. Hopefully with heavy grease and the labyrinth seal of the threads it should be air right.

4 Likes

Also from the looks of the video he has a cross draft gasifier

2 Likes

Duel-Fueling, MattR
Sounds sexy in action, and flexible in useage. Lean and limber. Sleek.
S.U.

4 Likes

Going back to the picture of the swedlund. Where is the nozzle? It looks to me that air is just dropped into the reactor section down to a grate so I’m not clear on what’s going on just below the hopper. . What are the two things in front of the air intake between it and the cooler?

3 Likes

here in brazil we use wood lump charcoal for bbq(or as we call here: churrasco) for the gasifier i think is it okay too

4 Likes

I think with store bought charcoal I would use a downdraft, or cross draft like his video shows. Looking at other videos he based it on a Gohin Poulenc design so that’s a good sign that he did his homework. Mass produced lump charcoal is sometimes not 100% carbonized so a downdraft will eliminate impurities. I don’t have any experience for cross drafts so I can’t speak for them.

What I do know about them is a lot of the nozzles are water cooled. Not too difficult to build, and will prevent your nozzle from burning away in the extreme heat, some even had a way for the eventual steam produced to be sucked into the incoming air to add more power.

5 Likes

Yup but the flexibility side falls toward the dark side. No chip fuel but have charcoal no problem. But go the other away you are in for some pain. lol

5 Likes

Hi Cody, i should look in my “library”, and see what i can find, personally i like the Mako design, i think the improved version was Mako model S, with nozzles like in a wood gasifier.
It was proven to be a reliable design, not very sensitive for bad (tary) charcoal, or moisture, or fuel size, i’d be looking that up some more to se what i can find, thinking about trying a mini micro Mako design for my charcoal gas moped.
:slightly_smiling_face:
Edit: just saw Jan beat me to it.

6 Likes

I have the translated version of Gengas, but the little stuff like catalogues are always a treasure trove of information.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, with the both charcoal and wood, they never intended to do this in the same gasifier. That was something that was tried in the beginning of the woodgas “era” and later abandoned/forgotten, with is a shame, it’s perfectly do-able, and today well proven, i think it’s more of operator mismanagement, because this was forced technology during war.
Edit: just saw that about “only woodchips” i think it was the way it went during war-time, just to tempting run 100% wood in a charcoal/wood gasifier, then blame the gasifier manufacturer when engine tar’ed stuck. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

O.k. MattR.
“Charcoaltier Plus”

As Gold Level Certified I once submitted a contest to Daimler-Chrysler for the then new generation scanner tool naming. Prize. Either one of the new ones or a new previous generation scanner. Named DRB III. Diagnostic Readout Box third generation.
I submitted, Pro-Pal.
Encourage the hesitant, to actually learn it, and use it. Respect those using it.
Nope. Nope. They lame, named it with input from the designers. StarScan. Next newest: WiTech.
Clearly understood action names MattR. attracts, sells, and gets used.
S.U.

3 Likes

I have seen where they use stove rope with grease and graphite mixed into the rope. Making a water pump type seal bushing to hold it in place that can be adjusted.
Bob

4 Likes