CHP project for my small farm in Norway

Roger Blomli said he wanted to use DSE8620 I have the DSE8610 and do not want it . can not use it . I thought I had to get rid of it but I do not have to . I replaced the governor I do not need dse8610

2 Likes

Hi Henry, I have decided to use a PLC instead of a DSE controller, mostly for the flexibility of functions the PLC gives.

1 Like

I just ordered a carburetor so I can start engine without gasifier and start to sort out problems I have been having .
I think everyone else on forum has duel fuel engine

1 Like

No, i don’t :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, dual fuel here. Charcoal and more charcoal. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Duel fuel here too. Charcoal and a wee bit of water.

3 Likes

Maybe a small point, relating to “dual fuel”:
I start my woodgas genset on gasoline just to warm up the engine, not to sort out gas quality problems.
If you don’t already have good gas when you start sucking it into the engine, you are just asking for problems later on.
I also switch to gasoline at the end of a run, as a preventive measure.

Pete Stanaitis

7 Likes

November 2016 hour run no issues
Ttred 564
Tbred 685
pc 197
pr 340
pf345

29 amp
250 volt
6.4 Kw
0.89 ld

3 Likes

That is what I was thinking of doing .
I have sticking valves . replaced governor . issues with generator .
I just want to be able to run motor without gasifier .

3 Likes

I just wanted to get back to you about why ? you wanted to build this project in the first place . And how it would work .
I got an electrical bill for January , it was 66 dollars more then the December bill and I used less power . I sent 114 less kWh to the grid . This is from solar and I do not clear off the snow . Synchronize generator verses induction generator
there are wind turbines that are induction generators I lost track of the electronics that matches their power to the grid .
There is a 20 kWh wind turbine with an induction generator , I just lost track . I have Synchronize generator most gas powered generators are , It has to run at a set speed or you drop out , disconnect , then you slow down or speed up and try to hold it there till you re-qualify and reconnect . as my AC output connects to a DC charger I have a wide range of speed and voltage that I can output power without disconnect .

new governor carburetor , pump jack linkage

2 Likes

I had gasifier running generator feeding charger , battery , inverter to grid tie today . did not have lambda , there is one it is not working . just jammed stuff in pipe , air fuel adjustment .
air inlet for gasifier was clogged , cleared that some how . fuel switch was jammed then fuel auger jammed , governor was not maintaining speed . Held linkage to hold speed then it held speed on its own … then it stopped . battery dead done .

normal operation 50 gallons of wood chips over hour run . Mowed lawn while generator running . Started gasifier extended light time . cranked engine , no power to ignition . Cut wire and connected to 12 volt . Engine starts but will not run . pulled second spark plug . Engine runs with second plug removed . Can not get engine to run stability at 1800 rpm . adjust voltage run at 1600 rpm . three phase 240 volt to 48 volt 130 amp charger . I never shut off inverter . I use disconnect from grid to control inverter . Generator rated at 20 Kw . I am trying to keep up with output from inverter to grid from battery of 7.6 Kw single phase . Shut down disconnect from grid , disconnect from charger . run engine for 10 minutes of gasoline , shut off gas .
vent gasifier to flare . No flare shut down

1 Like

lambda fuel air
omnitekcorp.com
unit made for natural gas conversion , emission reduction
purchased clcs600 came with control module and lambda (stepper motor )
had to add vacuum sensor , GM sensor rebuilt for 12 volt called MAP or TPS signal
bosh single wire oxygen sensor called lambda sensor
wire for engine control unit went to coil , tachometer
seems to try to work

1 Like

The auger motor broke lose and knock off vacuum sensor that filled up with tar . I removed all electronic controls .
I have two, one inch gate valves . one for air (no pre heat ) to gasifier . one for mixing air with wood gas . throttle is loop of cord and clothes pin . Air mixing with wood gas seems to actually control engine speed… auger failed . chuck broke off drill .
Had to use 3/8 ratchet as auger drive . very tiring . found air leak . glowing red . when fixed should work better . Battery dropped to 17 % . Then with out touching battery or connecting anything it went back to 100% . had several hour run at 7.7 KW

4 Likes

Hi guys,

Now my army days are over and i am in my new work in the poultry industry.
I have in this time gathered equipment that i like to use in my future projects.
Since i have so many Volvo engines and equipment, that would be my main focus.
My working turnus now let me have 1 week a month free to work on energy to my farm and houses, wood is free to me, i just need to get it, so now im in the thought process on what would be the best energy for the buck.
Charcoal or wood/chunks
Lost of more info to come.
Some inspiration that I am working on…

Roger

10 Likes

I even got the lifetime subscription, since i could newer remember when I pay the last time :thinking:

10 Likes

I think charcoal is definitely a lighter setup. You also don’t have to chunk wood to make the charcoal, but instead crush it down. I would say it depends on the engine size and how much room you have to place the gasifier.

4 Likes

I have read quite a bit on pros and cons wood vs charcoal, so far it look like the largest problem with charcoal is the heat and what it does to youre equipment, as a longtherm geny project im just not shure how to handle the constant heat compared to regular downdraft systems……

2 Likes

Hi Roger , if you build a updraft charcoal gasifier there is no heat issues at all due to the gasses passing through the charcoal it will not harm your equipment at all , 4 too5 hour uninterrupted run times on my generator is a breeze , no problem at all as long as there is always enough height of charcoal to cool the gasses before leaving the gasifier and onto the filters .
Dave

6 Likes