Chris' Baler Chunker

Added a box to haul my stuff in. Corners braced by chunker feedstock… The yellow piece I picked up at Sandusky’s awhile back, perfect fit.

6 Likes

Looks good, why is it not raining at your house??

Haha! That wood I chunked Friday is already dry enough to run… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

With the box heavily loaded, the chunker is now tail heavy. No problem with a sliding axle… I drilled a couple new holes and we’re back in balance. Credit to @MarvinW for the sliding axle idea.

9 Likes

Hard to keep a good man down :relaxed:

2 Likes

Good evening Chris. I saw your chunker on google+. Thank you for the idea, I have a similar gadget, but I needed a more simple way to make it funtonal. Your sistem gave me the answer. Thank you.

1 Like

Chris
When you found your baler did you consider keeping the packer mechanism and turning it into a splitter? I know it’s a lot more compact if you don’t. Maybe Bill could chime in on this also.

1 Like

Tom There is a youtube of a guy splitting wood with a converted baler. ( I’ll have to look for it) The point is it works . I don’t know what you are going to drive yours with but if you use it as a splitter, I would suggest some sort of a slip mechanism so that on knotty logs you don’t break something.TomC

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks Marvin for finding this. You see he is running his splitter/baler off from his tractor’s PTO. I have a slip clutch on my PTO shaft to eliminate such problems even though I am now using my baler for a "chunker"TomC

1 Like

Thanks guys for the info and video. The baler I am looking at has a slip clutch on it but still hmmm

1 Like

No, that’s the part I used for the cutter head. Putting both on the same gearbox would involve some ingenuity…

Someday I’ll build the rapid fire style splitter. For now, I’m pricing out the standard issue hydraulic ones.

1 Like

Hi chris saez i dont mean too mess up your chunker thread, or i am asking this in wrong place maybe, what i have a questain on is why are the big flywheels not being installed on the cutting wheel instead on the input side of the gear box, as it seems a big big flywheel at the cutting wheel might be easyer on a smaller gear box.?

2 Likes

No problem Kevin. The reason to have the flywheel on the input side is that it stores a lot more energy when moving fast. Once you’ve slowed it down to the speed of chunking, it has a lot less stored energy.

You are correct that the gearbox has to be able to transmit the full power of the flywheel. That’s one of the main reasons I used a baler gearbox, it’s designed to take this sort of constant pounding when used in a baler. A lesser gearbox might break under the shock load.

5 Likes

Ok thanks chris, i may try what i can get connected and see if it holds out.I think a big heavy flywheel on the drive side cutting cutter may then require a slip clutch at the gear box if the fly wheel dont shread the gear box when slowing down the gears. The way i was thinking and or a brake on the flywheel when slowing down.

2 Likes

Make provisions for a shear pin as well. This acts like a fuse, if there’s a severe shock you’ll pop the pin before breaking any gears. The baler gearbox has one built in, it works quite well.

2 Likes

Thanks again chris saenz, that bailer gear box seems too be a good sturdy unit.

1 Like

Surveyed a rural property today about to be cleaned off and developed. This abandoned baler sits about 300 feet from a paved road, and probably could be picked up for nothing, for anyone willing to haul it away.

If anyone is interested, I can reach out to the owner and see what it would take for him to let go of it.

Located near Waco, Texas.

6 Likes

Looks like the gearbox is in fine shape! Quite a find.

4 Likes

Good day chris , Thanks for posting all your chunker detail designs, and gear box tear down pointers, this makes it much more clear how too proceed with my baler chunker project. YOUR wood gas vidios and book really helped.

2 Likes