Cody's 98 Buick(maybe)

It is somehow even more difficult to get the water neck back on than taking it off. I tried to remove the exhaust collector branch pipe whatever and snapped one of the nuts off. Great. It was the first nut I tried to remove, too. Now I have a half attached water neck and a probably leaking exhaust. Really getting mad at this hoopty. With all the computer junk I can’t just drop in a new exhaust system without needing to accommodate the sensors and emissions crap.

Edit: Finally got it in. New thermostat seems to be working well.

2 Likes

The Prestone flush and new thermostat seemed to be the ticket. Before the treatment it couldn’t suck water from the overflow tank, I just went to check and squeezed the upper hose and it’s blowing into the overflow again. I also have the full radiator warming up finally.

I tested the old thermostat alongside the new Murray made one and the old one opened up crooked, also I think the bypass was stuck closed because I couldn’t push it with finger strength while the Murray I could. Old thermostat was a 195, GM states you should use a 198 so that’s the one I put in. The old one was also clocked weird, the top bar pointed to 9 and 3 so I clocked the new one at 12 and 6 because the water neck directs to the 9 o clock position so maybe it was a combination of failures from bad installation to age and clogging.

6 Likes

Man the Buick is running great since I changed the thermostat. Whole radiator is getting hot now instead of only half. I just need to see why the fans don’t kick on until it’s almost too late, maybe the sensor is bad.

Changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. The old air filter was just nasty. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery so hopefully it will reset fuel trim. Before I did all this I ran a tank of some Berrymans treated gas to clean up the injectors.
Gassed her back up and she runs like a scalded dog. I might keep a fill-up routine of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas just to keep the injectors clean and lubricated. Put about 12oz of MMO in the crank case as well.

5 Likes

Starting to get cold feet about the Cavalier. I told my friend I’ll come down to his place to check it out. I have a new fuel pump so I’m willing to burn the 100 dollars I spent on it to make sure I’m trading a running car for a running car.

Finally went to an AAMCO transmission shop and asked for a ballpark quote on a rebuild for the Buick, about 3300 dollars with labor but they’ll look at it for free. Sort of hedging my bets, if the Buick has an easy and inexpensive fix then I can just keep it, maybe buy the Cavalier off my friend instead of a trade.

I’m hoping it’s just the shift solenoids for 2nd and 3rd gear.

The shifting issues are transient and really annoying. Some days it’s fine but noticeable and others unbearable. I’m starting to convince myself that maybe the engine is worn out and can’t spin the transmission strong enough.

3 Likes

Cody how many hours a month Do you put on it .

1 Like

Driving hours? Right now maybe 50 miles a month. I’m driving my Sierra to work and back.

I bought it at 120,000 miles but it’s had 5 owners before me. Haven’t sank a lot of money into it yet. Thermostat and transmission fluid filter, speed sensor and a modulator. All my own work so it’s just materials.

If it shifted good it would be my daily driver since it’s so dang good on gasoline I think it would be a good candidate for woodgas.

What state you live in

I live in North Carolina about 45 minutes from Charlotte.

Dang, you way over, I’m 45 miles from Houston, 77 miles from Galveston.

2 Likes

I might try to get a quote on a factory reman transmission and just start on a clean slate. Sad that it’s cheaper than rebuilding the original honestly. But I think a whole new transmission with a new torque converter would be the best option. Then I can tackle the suspension and get it totally new.

2 Likes

What tranny you running ?

The one it came with. 1998 Buick Century had the 4T60E.

This car is an enigma to me.

Fiddled with the adjustable modulator again and it’s shifting normally. Only thing that I’ve changed in this transmission since I got the modulator is new fluid and a new filter. Maybe any junk in front of the solenoids has finally dropped off of the screens since I let the car sit for over a month.

Now I need to get the AC system fixed on it so the cooling fans will come on below 226 degrees. Might bypass the relays so it always runs at low speed until the sensor trips to high speed. Waiting for my gas light to come on so I can tell what my fuel economy is. Right now based on guesstimation I’m looking at just above 20 to the gallon.

2 Likes