Compressed charco mix.?

i was thinking compressed in order too get more miles a fill up. Though a powder char could probly work on demand, and could be easy auger in too main feed system.Good point. Or maybe just add a little 2% of the binder and press pucks out and use all the waisted charco,powder back too the systems in use at now time.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I saw a drawing by Garry Gilmore that had a auger system to sprinkle extra fine charcoal directly in with the intake air. Seems to me like a very simple idea that might be worth further explorationā€¦

With the exception of blast furnaces I donā€™t think anyone uses lump coal, coke, or charcoal for anything. They pulverize it and blow it in for more efficient combustionā€¦
Maybe some small automatic coal stokers still use pellets size fuel but I think thatā€™s also a safety thing, you don;t want explosive dust in a home heating system.

I canā€™t see an advantage for wet coal slurry unless its specifically to reduce explosion hazards. Remotely relatedā€¦INCO flash technology uses dry pulverized sulphide or concentrate both as the fuel and the material to be smelted. When done right it ignites the sulpher safely, provides the process heat and creates concentrated SO2 that the acid plant can ore easily scrub in a dry gas cleaning unit. Wet gas, thatā€™s awful stuff and corrodes the hell out of plants, dry stuff can go straight to Oleum and produce a more concentrated and less corrosive product specifically by avoid the whole excess water problem in the first place.

If one acumulated s lot of extra char dust from crunching up charco for sizeing the charco , i gess that might be the best way too make use of the dust charco.Spray it in while the proper charco size stuff is makeing lots of heat, then check the heat Difference while adding char dust spray.

GM put a lot of thought into finely pulverized coal for direct combustion on a turbine car. Its important we read the specific wording of what GM said they were doing.

ā€œa small conveyor belt delivered the coal [from the bin] to the gasifier,ā€ and that compressed air then ā€œblew the coal from the conveyor into the gasifier.ā€

" The car had a small tank of diesel/kerosene for starting the turbine. Once fired, it automatically changed over to the coal dust. Schult said that with the turbine whine and buzz of the coal dust agitator, plus compressed air blowing the dust into the gasifier, it didnā€™t sound much like a conventional Detroit V8 engine. "

Wouldnā€™t you just love to take one of those units apart and see how it ticks?
from the sounds of it a direct powder to gasifier system had been developedā€¦
It puts a whole different spin on the idea of DOW.

In the winter I have time to waste. I waste a lot of it watching videos from Jan Lenoā€™s garage. Here is one about the 1963 Chrysler turbine car. They ran this engine on every possible fuel, including perfume and moonshine. Being a geezer I knew about this car since I was a kid because I was able to get to the Detroit Autorama, custom car show every January and saw this on display when it was first out. One of itā€™s fuels was hydrogen peroxide. Last summer when I was building my charcoal gasifier and found out about the idea of using water to increase the power in wood gas I immediately wondered why if water worked, why wouldnā€™t H2O2 work even better.

It does work.
Do we have any physicists in the house?
The boiling point of H2O2 is higher, so how much latent energy would that consume to bring up to boiling temperature, and then the temperature it decomposes at again giving off heat make it unpredictable. I do know the math behind it is way above me.

If you want to tinker safely try and get some lab grade 30% or 12% hair bleach.

The take away from the turbine cars are not so much the turbines as the heat exchange technology they developed and in the Gm case the Gasification system that converted the solid coal into a gas that the turbine burned. Lets not take our eye off that ball gasification ballā€¦ If any of you are better at searching this information out I would love to see what GM came up with to deal with the ultra fine dust and the actual powder gasification system itself.

Seems to me there is a Croatian thing, they make very large caliber black powder pistols for display, get together and shoot these things off . A group of them locally make their own powder and put on one hell of a show at the local range. No shot in them as far as I can tell just huge fun noise makersā€¦ Is this something they do in Slovenia as well?

Just posting some interesting video on the subject of bricketing and charcoal processing. I would really like to get my hands on some of these to play with and see if they could be gasified somehow or maybe if we go back to the originator of this thread is there an optimum way to manufacture a high density uniform type of fuel specifically for gasification.

I wonder what the liquid is?

Hey Kohen:
This product looks almost ready for a gasifier, I wonder if he has ever seen it and experimented with it?

Many times I looked at my log splitter getting only a monthā€™s worth of work a year and thinking what else could I do with that thing. Compressing charcoal pucks might me one thing. Would take hardly any work.

1 Like

I never had any interest in the matter until this thread and I saw those square compressed blocks. To me that ideal gasfier fuel or does it pose a problem that I do not see.

But I am equally interested in the idea of a powdered fuel system now too.

Interesting articles you brought up there Wallace, i hadent known GM delt it charco dust combustain enging powered.These guys up here running on charco, seem too have too grind it all up pencil size and up too around nickel size.In order too meet the fuel demand flow ratio.That grinding must make a lot of char dust though too.

Yes those are Croatian Kubaras. Rarely precussion fired but mostly just thick muzleloader barrel pistols with no touch holes on the back. You load them with corse homemade blackpowder, press in some toiletpaper and light the paper at the muzzle. Gun pointed down and back, you wait till the smoldering paper egnites the charge. There will first be a hiss as the fire migrates in, giveing you a small window of chance to swing the gun upwards fast! This swing helps to counterballance the recoil.

Now, you can imagine why the ā€œhomenadeā€ gunpowder part is important. Its usualy just corse ground and mixed so its wery slow burning. Hence that delay at fireing. But once a coworker asked me for a poundā€¦ the ballmilled stuff. Nearly broke his wrist because there was no delay at fireing and way too much power.

Needless to say this stuff is dangerous. Too dangerous for my taste. We use black powder mortars and carbide canons.

3 Likes

Hi kristijan, dangerius it is, takes more kwolege and experiance too safley operate, i have a used 44 revolver that i had too buy some parts for, so when i cock the hammer it fully lines up the barrel with the cylinder chamber, found a black powder gun parts store,at VTI gun parts.com once the cylinder hand wears down it dont line barrel up eavery time, or i have too rotate the cylinder till the lock cylinder latches, clickes.Them cheaper guns need more tlc, but the bullets are much cheaper if you like shooting practice. last 250 rounds of 220 grain chronile leds were 49.00 on internet, sold as for air pellet ammo.I traded my semi auto 9 mm for one, i could hardly hit a target if i needed, with the carry pistal.still got too find a gun store with# 10 caps for the 44 cal. hope fully it will be in time every time after changeing the hammer and Cylinder rotater arm.They been selling as fast as the new type guns these days.

Wellā€¦ You would fit in well up here with the shooting club. Very interesting and entertaining hobby to watch! I was just sitting here with my son ( no in person school because of COVID-19 ). He is very amused by your video for dealing with Gopher holes in your garden.

Unrelated to Krisā€™s mortar ( very cool !!! though ) I saw this pop up on my youtube list and its the first time I have ever seen one of these honeycomb char Briquettes used for cooking in decent light. It would appear that these things behave almost like a gas flame in their cleanliness. Its worth the time and effort I think to try and make a press and try them. I canā€™t imagine a large a market here since most people like to cook with Propane of NG at home. But It sure would make a nice little fire for sitting by in the back yard and cooking some hot dogs on!
YA I think I am going to try and make some larger ones just to satisfy my curiosity.