Compression Ratio

Thanks for that Steve, it’s uploaded to the site here: http://driveonwood.com/resources/pdf-articles/development-producer-gas-engines

Good reading that article. Even tho this thread is a little aged, have you guys seen this Variable Compression Ratio crankshaft? take it down to 9.0:1 for pump petrol and crank it up to 18:1 for woodgas efficiency what do you think? http://www.gomecsys.nl/uk/

rance goes back to lurking :slight_smile:

Good infomative reading this information RanceG.
I suggest anyone read this one though opening up all of the site tabs and links.
For background undertanding search up “Atkinson Cycle” links and read. Wikipedia is decent enough on this. Find the pictures and explanation of the true current production Honda Akinson cycled crankshaft system they are using in thier mini-CHP stationary engine offerings. Expect this to show up also soon in thier next generation of lawn mowers.

The is the best utilization of this gomecsys tech would be:
variable speed and loaded micro and mini-CHP systems coming more and more on line; Hybrid vehicles of all types. Road, rail and transit. These, the engine speed and load is effectively decoupled from the vehicle speed and load to achieve the highest engines efficiencies.

Thanks again for this new info RanceG.
I like learning something new to me every day. Keeps me hanging around the planet day to day anymore.
Lurk all you want. Enjoy. Learn. Share.

Regards
Steve Unruh

As I see it the 1 to 1, air to fuel mix, is what holds back the power on wood gas. At 1 to 1, half of the engine displacement is used for fuel, thus we have ½ of the combustion air of a petrol engine at 14 to 1. I am looking at increasing the engine vacuum by sucking the exhaust out with a venturi tube on the exhaust. Any comments?
Dave

Adding a turbo charger would be easy and simple, also the more fuel mix will effectively give a higher compression ratio.

Another way is a tuned exhaust like on a 2 stroke racing bike with a expansion chamber.

supper chargers/turbo chargers are OK for compressing air but fuel and air is risky. Tuned exhaust changes
your usable power band, this is Ok on a race track but not much good on the road. Good headers and free
flow mufflers would work by reducing back pressure.

Would 10 or 15 PSI boost cause any risk, plenty of turbo’s and super chargers have been run with air fuel mix from a carby.

Today i looked up for roots compressor for small engines.
Maybe you can find a old “smog blower” to increase slightly the fuel efficient filling …?
i am looking to find one for my project here…
also look into my research calculations about the gas quality, i did put up a spreadsheet to do the math in a more visual way…
( forums/charcoal )

When I did the Farm All Tractor it was upgraded with a turbo. Once I had this tractor tuned I could not tell the difference between gasoline or the woodgas. Never had any issues during the time I had it. I recently talked with this customer and he sayes its still running fine. Whats interesting is this is set-up even the the carburetor it is running both the air and fuel mixture. So running petrol periodically to clean is easily done.

As far as tar and soots are concerned the high centrifugal forces with throw the heavy liquids off to the side keeping it clean. But having the ability to run liquid fuels for cleaning maintenance I think is something to consider.

Another thing to consider in any engine is a Cam swap. You want one with a longer duration and possibly a different overlap. Hopefully Steve or Peter could chime in on the over lap and give direction on this. A cam change will be the simplest and most effective for your investment.

We will be working on all these things later this year, developing a Vortec 5.3 engine. This engine will have electronic controlled spark ignition that we will have control over by the turn of a knob.

Here is a turbo I am looking into for our generators. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111189119062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Another turbo site I found in a tractor magazine. Kinda pricey, but they bolt on to stock tractor engines.

http://keystoneturbollc.com/index.html

Whew ---- all this talk about forced induction. The supercharger site Nazi must be on vacation!!

Peter, I think folks may yet come around on this one. You better hurry up, I think Matt Ryder is getting serious. :slight_smile:

It will be a big step forward to see/hear that S10 under boost… Concrete evidence always trumps idle speculation. Show us how it’s done!!

agreed, please show us… that thing is gonna rip

“Whew ---- all this talk about forced induction. The supercharger site Nazi must be on vacation!!”

Now thats funny
:slight_smile:
TerryL

Yeah I got a little motor project coming up and ill need some input from the motor heads out there. Ill post this later on it is going to be vehicle installed system.

All this talk about compression ratios is cool. I want to overhaul my Ranger 2.3L and put different pstons for higher compression. I have been running 70% ethanol for about 10 months with good results. Same milage as with ordinary, 10% ethanol gasoline. Better running and small increase in power. Can anyone recommend propper pistons. My manual says 3.78 inch bores.

I thought this barrel engine was interesting. Variable compression… The underlying mechanism is similar to that of a of a Diesel injector pump. Axial engine - Wikipedia