Condensate Tank size?

originally posted Mon, 12/15/2014

Anyone’s thoughts on minimum size of condensate, and hopper condensate tank sizes in gals. I have to make some odd shaped ones. thanks Al

Good morning Al.

It may be hard to define a max or minimum size for the tanks . The hopper should produce about twice as much condensate as the gasifier . On the trucks I like to have a hopper condensate tank of 3-5 gallons . The smaller it is the more often it will need to be drained . The smaller it is the easier it is to build and conceal. If the tanks happens to over fill it will not shut you down but just will not run as good.

The other condensate tank after the cooling rails also severs as a gas reservoir and a settling area for the soot and water . I usually use a tank under the back of the truck bed ten gallon plus . If this tanks happens to over fill it will shut you down .

3 Likes

Thanks Wayne, that was the info I needed

Hi Al, don’t forget, the hopper tank will collect tar too, and needs two drains at different levels as described in the construction videos. Also, you need a ball valve on the rear tank, that you can push a rod (I use my poker) into as the carbon mud that Wayne described will block it every time.

1 Like

If I am understanding correctly, from all my reading, I would be ok with a 900 cubic inch tank as long as my hopper tank is double the size.

WM

Good morning Benjamin.

You should produce about twice the amount of hopper condensate vs the condensate formed after the cooling rails.

Up around the gasifier it may be hard to find a location for a big condensate tank so you have to build whatever size will fit.

On my trucks I usually use a 3-5 gallon for the hopper condensate and 15 - 20 gallon tank under the truck bed . The tank under the truck bed will serve as a reservoir and settling area for the soot.

I may have to dump the hopper condensate 8-10 times to a single dump of the large tank under the bed .

1 Like

My calcs’ say 3.89 gal Just figure about 1 gal per 100 miles. It’s the easiest tank to drain, no soot and no tar till it gets deep in there. Also keep in mind the rear tank and the hay filter both collect carbon, and you will need a drain that you can poke a wire or stick into to dislodge the settled carbon.

3 Likes