Craig's first gasifier build

Your vid. is private, can’t watch.

1 Like

woooops. ty :slight_smile: fixed now

Hello Craig.

Thanks for the video and the compliment :blush:

1 Like

struggling to weld the ammo can with a stick welder. Will have to borrow a mig welder and try again.

If a mig isn’t available I have welded thin steel with a torch and wire. Slow but it works and if you. watch the puddle you probably won’t have leaks.
Fred

2 Likes

Brazing would work. or i’ve always wanted to try lead. like the car guys use to do

Brazing or lead would work but both would be more likely to crack with any vibrations. If you try welding or brazing with a torch it good to have the flame set a little low on oxygen. You would be less likely to burn out the carbon that makes iron into steel.
Fred

2 Likes

I would avoid leading. The fumes alone from that stuff will kill you.

4 Likes

For what it is worth, I think brazing is hard to beat with thin metal. The flow is beautiful and we can use a gas torch or carbon arc torch. As a kid, my dad and I built various frames for motorized scooters and ATVs with a cheap 110 volt resistor box welder and a carbon arc torch.

4 Likes

Hi Craig,
I enjoyed your lecture, you seem to have a pretty good handle on the process and operation. I heard a clunk when you closed the lid. I’m sure you have a future gasket in line for the lid. You answered my question about how the air is fed to the nozzles. I like the preheat idea. I zapped a vac hose in an instant also when I started out, it like instantly disappeared :fearful:
Keep at it, you’re hooked now. I started out pretty much as you did and just kept reading, experimenting and refining things. You might be able to get a little insight or inspiration from my early stuff. I got into posting a lot of details of how I did things. Go to the Small engine section and scroll down to “My first small engine run”. Click on the titles and the page will auto jump there. You’ve got some nice flame colors also.
Good luck, Pepe
Edit: Check out some of my gasifier vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ornottoobless/videos
In particular, “My FEMA gasifier, build and demo”.Ammo can @1:49-2:04 and @2:09-3:01 for a couple of tips on saving the rubber gasket in the ammo can.
PS: When you install the ammo can, make sure the hinge pins are pointing up.

1 Like

Craig a few unsolicited suggestions. First, cut the side walls of the amo box down. Make the arc come almost to the lid. This will stiffen the sidewalls when you weld them and that space is not going to add to your ash box. Take time making the sidewall arch fit the barrel as close as you possibly can. Put the lid on the amo box. This will insure the lid fits perfectly after welding. Then holding the amo box up against the barrel as tightly as possible and using maybe 3/32 rod, tack weld the box to the barrel. Start at the arc near the center of the lid. Then go to the corners. Then go half way between the tack welds and place another tack, then half way again etc until you have tack welds every inch. Now jump around and weld from on tack to another Jump around so the heat doesn’t concentrate. When you are done you might want to clean the weld to remove any slag, then do a continuous weld over the skip welds. TomC

3 Likes

That’s some great advice Tom and exactly how I finished it . Believe it or not but I welded for over 18 years as pipeliner lol ,…Just been so long I kinda lost my skills. I ran out of rod so was using stub ends and rushing Thanks !.

3 Likes

Pipeline welders have my respect. I have seen them weld all the way around and when the welds were x-rayed there were no flaws time after time.

5 Likes

Sure miss it some times . The real fun was welding J-tubes in side of the boilers …would have to use a mirror and weld looking from the inside.

1 Like

You really caint beat a good working mig welder for the thinner sheet metal and filling gaps,I just welded 1/2" conduit with mine no problems. Though i have welded sheet metal with the 1/16" thick rods with the heat down around 50 amps, and it works but not near as fast as the mig welders.

2 Likes

Hi Craig,

l realy like your build! Keep up the good work.

l wanted to advise you on the welding thin metal with a stick welder, but l guess you have much more experiances thain l :grin:

But for what is worth, metal under 1,5mm l weld with a 2mm stainless steel sticks. Much easyer thain with normal ones.

4 Likes

That’s funny - my trick also :smile:

1 Like

Hi Craig,
It’s nice to have that space to access your grate and grate area without having to dismantle anything.
Also, you’d have room to put in an airtight grate shaker something akin to these Pics/
Pepe

3 Likes

made some improvements to the gasifier over the last week. Now circulating gases around the pyrolysis chamber. working good. Explain how the Bubbler / scrubber works…Have been very impressed with it’s working.
Enjoy ! Have a Great Day ! Thanks ! Thumbs up ! subscribe please !

7 Likes

I like the water bubbler. :slight_smile:

1 Like