Craig's first gasifier build

Okay, I just want to make sure respect is maintained among our members here.

6 Likes

I would try to prop the bucket up, like on another 5 gallon bucket and let a U-shape bend so the gas has to come back up before entering the filter, and see if it collects condensate in the bend. I know it is cold out, and you will naturally get some steam from the heat, but I am guessing you are getting some condensate from your cooler running directly into your filter which is causing some of the caking. It is an easy test at the very least.

2 Likes

most definitely, very least a drip leg

1 Like

If you get condensate, then yes something along those lines. I would probably start with a drip leg since it is easy, then see how much water is still getting collected in the filter. You may or may not end up needing more cooling and there are a few options for that like a 5 gallon bucket cyclone filter with a drain, or more cooling loop, etc.

2 Likes

Tonight im try run with no wood shavings at all and use the bucket for an expansion tank . see what happens

1 Like

So…ran the gasifier last night , with no filtration ,… just the bubbler. Here’s a pic of the paper towel test ( right hand corner of towel ) . there’s a little bit of color but looks fairly clean … The video’s been trying to download since last night will post later.

3 Likes

a little bit of color… after how much running time ?
Preserve in a little plastic bag, date stamped, for later comparisation.
put in the fridge and snif test it tomorrow morning when fresh out of the bed…

2 Likes

will do. That test was 30 seconds long and when I did it I swear there was more color but looking at towel next day , looks clean. It’s wierd but things , even the flame look different in person than in the vid.

Hey boys…took 2 days for this too download I don’t know why took 3 times . But here is the video test of running with no filtration just the bubbler https://youtu.be/SQHBvjy-MQE

1 Like

Came up as a private video for me

sorry about that. should be fix now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video Craig.

1 Like

Craig, that was a long video, so I only watched it once. Probably should have watched it again before commenting but here is my take. I think when you had the bubbler empty you were mentioning something about black specks in the flare. A cyclone filter would probably take care of that. It might be char coming out with the gas. My main thought was when you opened the lid to check the wood supply in the silo, you had flames all the way to the top. You should have had heavy dark brown smoke . It seems your lid is not tight enough. If I remember correctly your nozzles are down in the silo about a foot from the top. If your lid is sealed good then you Shut the gasifier down before it runs out of wood, then digging down through the silo will give you an idea how the gasifier is working. Normally you should have wooden blocks just under the lid, then as you dig down, you should have blocks that are turning black, then blocks that have their original block shape, but are very light as in charcoal. Then about 3 - 4 inches above the nozzles you should start seeing the charcoal blocks with rounded and burned corners. From the restriction down to the grate and below, you will probably have pieces of char up to 1/4 inch. Down in the ash pit, if you see any white ash, you have an air leak. TomC

4 Likes

You might be able to filter that water with a paper coffee filter. It would be a slow, but it might get clean enough to reuse it. You could also probably run it through a charcoal filter if you want it cleaner, then dry the char out and put it in the gasifier. It just cuts down on the volume without a lot of work.

1 Like

Hi guys. I havn’t nor will be able to contribute to this thread for a while. Things have taken an ugly turn in my life . I;ve end up homeless, no job, no money. The only thing keeping me warm at nights are the gasifier. I have made some minor upgrades to a hopper, and sealing the lid.

Not sure if everything happens for a reason but the gasifier now provides power , heating and hot water for a small community of us homeless people. Cheers and happy gasifying.

1 Like

Where is the unlike sad button, sorry to hear this Craig. I hope and pray that everything turns around for you. I pray that a new job will open up for you and you will be no longer homeless in Jesus Name. I have been in your position a few times in my life, God has never let me down yet. It has always turn out being better then before. I pray the same for you all.
Bob

7 Likes

Sorry to hear the bad news! :frowning: On the bright side you -do- have a working gasifier. Hope things get better for you soon and we will see you contributing again soon! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Craig sorry to hear you are homeless. Hopefully if you go knocking on enough doors you can find somone looking for a good welder. Just being able to build the gasificer proves you have some good skils. Like others have said I hope things get better.

1 Like

Hello Craig.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune :confounded:

Life is full of flat tires and dead batterys but if you have good welding skills it might be like having money in the bank ( just need to find the right person to cash the check )

5 Likes

Thanks all for the kind words of encouragement. You are all such great people and thank you .

1 Like