Curt Fink's Metro project

Hmmmmm… you can build imbert for large engines and I’m sure you can build WK systems for small.

For a metro… I’d be looking at a 2.5 inch or so restriction using one of my wood chip machines.

A larger plate chipper would easily make chips. … drying isn’t any harder for chips as it would be for chunks… spread them out in the sun on a tarp…

Lots of ways to build a viable system… just have to do the work to make it happen.

6 Likes

Been waiting for you to jump in here Arvid since you are one of the “chip kings” and Curt seems very interested in pursuing chips. TomC

2 Likes

We have a virtually unlimited supply of these chips and there dried already. By the dump truck that is.

4 Likes

I could run those no problem

3 Likes

Hello Curt
Welcome to the site. You have started on a fascinating journey.
I have not tried running wood chips but my next build is going to be based on the “free” chips available on Craigslist to run a 5KW generator,
I live East of Kent near Covington, and fly a 172 out of Crest air park.
Keep up the postings and pictures too feed our obsession.

1 Like

I did not know there were free chips on CL. Good to see another local guy.

1 Like

9L Woodgas per second

1 Like

Stephen Abaddess’ work not mine…

3 Likes

Good aftet noon kirt fink, really glad too some one tackel the chip gasifiers on type the tini cars. My newber had his pines cut down away from the house, and the chippet guys were chipping 12" logs from the branches, half the wood waisted though his chipping machine. Like arvid said, the wood chips will dry faster as they are smaller,and may out weigh the the bulk drying volume.and sorting verses chunking,with lots of free wood chips.Then again if a person had redesigned a wood chipper with big as posible chips, they wood likely never need too buy wood, with all the treed need trimming, just working with the chipping side of the job.the only other down side of chip wood is its density,it may need refilling more often than bigger wood chunks, or your hopper would be too far up in the wind. I think arvid posted his run time on his tractor,idleing or working, not sure what his hopper size, and his tractor motor HP.posibly you could scale some what from there. Most the wood chip gasifiers use a hopper shaker of sorts too keep the lighter chips from briging above the hot zone.causing burn tube over heat isues posible.

1 Like

Hopper is just over a cubic foot.

I’ve never had a problem with bridging or plugging on a tractor gasser.

Bigger hopper or run denser wood for longer run times.

2 Likes