Dakota engine question

I can usually find them around the southeast In good condition all working for under 3 grand. so that seems a little steep to me. I find ones that need work for under 1000 that is usually what I look for.
I have never messed with the newer year models.

5 Likes

Hi Gary

Below is a thread that may help.

6 Likes

Took me a while to find it I knew tony had a video on this subject

6 Likes

Norman, thanks for looking that up. It was very informative to a chevy guy who has never taken a Mopar motor apart. I just bought a 97 Dakota with the 5.9 that has a rear main seal leaking. For a thousand bucks, I figured I couldn’t go wrong. I have a lift in my heated shop so it shouldn’t be too bad. After watching this video I am going to have to control myself because I REALLY want to get out the die grinder and open up those intakes.

I have also really enjoyed reading your Chevotafire and V10 threads. Reminded me of my Chevy LUV pickup I stuffed a sbc into years ago. I got pretty good at replacing those Saginaw 4 speed transmissions, I couldn’t afford a Muncie and Saginaws were cheap.

Anyway, I got my firetube yesterday and will start welding on it after Christmas. I will also have to dig my car hauling trailer out to go pick up the Dakota. It is out at my hunting land in a snowbank and it is -3 right now with 23 mph winds, so I think I will wait a few days. Weatherman says we are going to get above freezing next week.

Thanks again,
Garry C

9 Likes