Dakota v8 1992 through 1996 vs later

Would like too learn what the difference between the years 1992 through1996 v8 dakota,that work well with wood gas, and the later years that are not working well with wood gas and differences why.THANKS.

1 Like

Good morning Kevin .

As far as the motor I think you will be OK if you stay with a 318 or a 360.

In 97 the body changed some and there is a shock absorbed in the way of the gasifier. This shock will need to be removed and installed to the rear of the axle.

Kevin Delonay’s truck that you saw at Argos is a 97.

1 Like

Good morning Wayne thanks for clearing that up on the shock needing moved around, not a problem there, yes i seen the ram hood looking dakota’ next too me and missed checking his results better. what else i was woundering was what changed on the timeing after 96 or the year the timeing did’ent help changing any more and years intake cleaning stoped working after 1996 if they still put v8 in the dakotas. Thanks.??

I think as long as the motor is a 318 or 360 you are good.

I would stay away from the 4.7 L V8

1 Like

Good morning Wayne K thanks for the dakota design dial. I am checking about a 318 4Ă—4 dakota today, not sure the year yet

The engine compartment is a little tighter, you might have to get creative with the plumbing and your hands will have more scratches on them hooking up timing advance. My truck is a 4x4 and the gasifier is 5in. above cab it does 60 mph real good. I think if you stuck with a two wheel drive and keep it low like Waynes it would do almost as good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responce, kevin Delonay.Sorry i missed getting the details at the meeting. I wounder how many years newer the dakotas would work same as your dakota, i see more newer ones than older trucks for sale, 60 mph is fine with me for older vehicles and still have 4Ă—4 for the winter weather up here in the north country. I want a mid size truck can use in any weather most conditions.

Good afternoon Kevin Delonay one question i have is if the later years dakotas will have good intake cleaning times as the 1992 too 1996 model years.

Good Morning Wayne K i found a 1998 dakota 318 that looks clean, i still have too go check the frame, do you think the intake clean procedure would all be same as the 92 through 96 dakota, cleaning TIME. I THINK the intake manifold type are the same.And acording too ebay has 8 injectors, so it is port injected.?

Hello Kevin ,

I’m pretty sure it would be .

2 Likes

Good evening Wayne, thanks for the thoughts on the newer dakotas, i see they stoped useing 318 in dakota after 03. Too bad i liked the newer quad cab dakotas.

1 Like

same motor same clean out method.

3 Likes

Kevin,
In addition to the Multi-point fuel injection “Barrel Keg” aluminum manifold,
make sure there is an ignition distributor back there somewhere! :thinking:

1 Like

At least for the 5.9L 1500’s, I can confirm they had a distributor up to 1999 model year. I believe that was the last year.

1 Like

Good and bad i bought a 4 wheel drive s10 chevy for now, its a rusty 97 4Ă—4 that runs good and will work for now for snow ride. Once i get wood gas too it i will see how the power is, though its rated at about 18 mpg on petro, something i can aford too drive when my wood supply runs low.And should be easyer too hybrid than MY CARB S10.The bad is i will have too remove the intake too clean it once it gets too full of soot carbon, The dakota with the self cleaning intake is on back burner for now, the 4Ă—4 s10 seems too have a heavyer frame than the standard two wheel drive. Thats a plus up here in the RUST BELT. AND I JUST DONT HAVE ANY EXTRA DAKOTA PARTS TOO START OVER WITH DIFFERENT MODEL TRUCK.

3 Likes

What engine in the S 10? Auto trans?

Hi Andy it was nice meeting you argos, Not sure they call it vortech but its the 4.3 v6,and automatic trans.Most of the years of the s10 trucks and blazors all came with spider injection on the 4.3 v6 models.

The distributor probbly just holds the cam sensor if i remember right. The same as the 97 v8 chevy trucks.So i dont think distributor does much timeing power gain, though the knock sensor should keep it from rattleing too far addvance timeing.??Adding 10 percent or so dino should help ballance the hh gas timeing power gain. Then i am going too try spraying my chunks with waist veggi oil too set timeing closer and go farther,as long as the oil is water free or cooked first, and then measure the correct emount too still maintain a good charbed, by BBB AND SWEM. AND It would be nice too find an old exoust gas analizor on line or auction house.

1 Like

I didn’t get to put very many miles on my chevy before the frame gave out, but it worked pretty good on wood. My 5.3 didn’t even have a distributer, but it seemed to advance timing all by itself.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy , on my 4.3 carb truck with distributor, it seems too work in same place all the time plenty of power too.These new truck frames some seem too rust out worse than others.The 3 s10 trucks i have all got the 5# hammer and gallon of paint. The red s10 i bought for 340.00 at auction frame was good too use all but one place i had too rebuild and plate the frame splice. Measureing from the bottom control arm ball joint grease fitting too the rear axel i keep the frame in same even on both sides while welding back together, now a little heavyer but stronger than factory.See how well i can aline the front end with tape measure/level caster and camber, it may be a Spare vehicle for a while and it may wind up in my scap trailer after i part it out.

1 Like