Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Thanks Herb.
It sure is nice to see you back on DOW. I presume this means you are feeling a lot better?.

1 Like

Don, I really appreciate your sketch of the garage. I wish there was more of me, money and time to get all this done before the snow falls.

For anyone that is interested, we started a blog of our venture up north.

6 Likes

Hi Bill and everyone, yeah I’m doin pretty good, I can do about anything I want just not for that long without a rest, getting stronger everyday!
Thanks for taking us with you as you make your new home up North! Herb H

6 Likes

Hey Bill, here are some ideas you could probably use for your little house.

4 Likes

if you do some solar here is a good deal on some panels . http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l140/m/mgKSCwacOnGcf7WY5ZSLM3Q.jpg with shipping to me in ny total cost 1150. and that’s for 18 120 watt panels they are used but only a few years and they last a long time.

2 Likes

These?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1KW-Used-BP-Astro-Power-or-Sanyo-Mono-Solar-Panels-Battery-Charge-18x120W-12V-/381380238356

2 Likes

that’s the one thanks chris.

My son came up to help me for the day. We were able to get the rest of the sheathing on and the over hang on the other side. We also installed a window on the west side because the scaffolding was set up and he was here.

I also now have chickens for laying eggs. I believe they are Black Orpingtons. They are about a month old. I hoping to let them free range next week.

9 Likes

H Bill,
Boy, the roof sheathing really makes it look official. Nice ladder staging, a real safe setup.
Pepe

Thanks for the progress report Bill. Looking good!
I wanted to see the house picture better so I fixed it.

8 Likes

Nice Don!
Now if you can extend the daylight, I would have had all those sheets completely screwed off instead of tacked down before nightfall. If the rain can hold off today, I can get some tar paper on before I head to the cities

1 Like

We had a fuel spill on the private road that connects our driveway to the outside world. The clutch froze up in my gasoline chainsaw so out come the generator.

6 Likes

Hey Bill, here are a couple of pictures that might help with what I was trying to explain on the phone of how I cranked up my steel roof panels.
1st pic is the pulley with saddle that fit over the roof peak.

2nd pic is the rope crank that hooked to the bottom of the roof just next to where the roof panel will go.

3rd pic shows 2 sheets on and crank positioned for 3rd sheet

I only had a 5/12 roof pitch but the sheets were 22 ft. 3 in. long and the winch setup allowed me to do the whole roof alone on this 40’ by 110’ building
Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Used the same principal to hang sheets of OSB on the ceiling in my shop drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of the sheet dropped a eyebolt through the hole with a 5 inch washer any winched it up. A 2 by 4 to get it placed final couple clickes on the winch to hold and nail it off. Short pieces of dowel to close the drill hole

3 Likes

How many screws are in a certain area?

2 Likes

One for each rib and 24 on center all the way up the roof. A lot!

3 Likes

Thanks Don. I made a contraption this morning to pull the sheets up. After I finished it, the neighbor and wife showed up to help me. This is four hours from a couple of rookies.
We precut and predrilled before bringing the sheet up.

5 Likes

I screw’ed mine on top the rib, or some like too screw or nail with rubbrer washers on the flat areas, not sure the pros or cons on rib top or flat area nailing.I put my metal on pole barn roof stringers, no plywood,only problem with that is in winter time it freezes and thaws and gets my drywall wet.next project will be plywood the roof and tar paper,then put metal on.

2 Likes

I screwed mine on top of the ribs figuring all the water will be rushing down the flats against the screws and washers if they were on the flat. I stacked them all on the ground and after some very careful measurements drilled all the holes except the outside rib which would be overlapped by the next sheet and used those holes as a guide to drill through the bottom covered rib, worked great. Take care not to squash the gaskets when screwing them down, just watch them take a bit of compression. The screws are 2’ oc up the panels. Nary a drop in 8+ years.

3 Likes