Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

I guess I have not thought about it that way Don. I guess I interpreted it as not stuck in a cage and not able to walk around and forage. I wasn’t aware that free range meant they were self sufficient.
I check for eggs frequently during the day because if I wait too long they will freeze and crack. After they started laying, I take the shells and grind them into a powder with a cheap coffee grinder my wife found at a thrift store.
What I am wondering now with all the snow. Would it be beneficial to provide the birds with some dirt/sand? I also give them some cracked corn every other day and table scraps.

1 Like

Yeah Bill I think you are more right than me about this. This is what I found out from Mr. Google
“What some producers and farmers call “pastured” chicken is much more in line what with many people think they’re getting with free range. This means that the birds are actually kept in coops at night, but are left to forage on grass, seeds, worms, etc., during the day. They might be fed grain as well, but they have access to a greater variety of food in their diet, and the result is much more richly flavored meat and eggs — and a much more humane life for the birds.”

7 Likes

Hello Bill,
We just crush the shells for the chicken. They eat tubs of greens every day, and I mix 1/8" biochar in with the scratch, which also gets a dose of oyster shell once in a while. Arugula, Mustard Greens, and Swiss Chard make good chicken food. Dry dirt, sand, and even wood ashes give them something to bathe in. If we bake Angel Food cake, which uses 2 cups of egg whites and no yolks, then we scramble the yokes in an old frying pan, and let them have a real treat. Sometimes, dead logs will have lots of grubs, and they go crazy over the big white ones. The yolks from our chickens have a dark orange color. Taste very good! Several years ago, we converted our pastured poultry chicken tractors into a heavy-duty pen, and built a large outdoor run using chain link fence. The run is covered with shade cloth, which we “furl” during storms, else it blows away. The run/pen solved our coyote, feral dog, raccoon and skunk problems, but large snakes can swallow lots of eggs. Old CD’s on monofilament fishing line keep the Hawks at bay. All wildlife loves chickens and eggs. We lock them up every night, and let them out in the morning.

5 Likes

Good morning Bill.

Below is a web site my son visits often .

5 Likes

Thanks Wayne, I bookmarked it.

1 Like

Bill I saw this and thought it could have been you if you hadn’t moved north so dad gum far.

TomC

7 Likes

Another role model.
Tom, I hope Bill will forgive us :smile:

(The reporter says authorities offered the man an apartment several times, but that he would probably die if he had to leave his cabin.)

7 Likes

I am understanding more everyday why people are so committed to such a simple life. First of all, it is very peaceful. Yes one can drown out or ignore the sounds of the city when there. Grab a chair and sit down in the middle of the woods and one can get lost in the sounds nature provides.
Being a very social person, I can hop in my truck and get my dose of people when I choose. The people I’ve met up here are really nice and enjoyable to talk to and deal with.
I am where I need to be.

17 Likes

Bill I understand you feelings. I had the same feelings when I moved from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles to the farm. Now that has worn off or become common place and my thoughts are of building a “tiny” house on the back forty. The farm has become common place and I don’t have the busy life, we do have a house to keep up a driveway that needs attention in order to go to town---- which I seldom do. Thank God I have my wife, but if it was not for her, I would down size on the back forty.

And JO from what I have heard about Sweden, you have the beauty of both worlds. You live a much simpler life than we do here and you still have an industrial job for your finances. Not entirely reliant on living off the land, but close. TomC ( It will be closer when you get over to woodgas.)

6 Likes

Bill, I fully understand too and I envy you for your courage to take the step. I think I’m In the same boat with Tom. I agree with his statement:

Tom, I think you are refering to Sweden in the 70s and early 80s. I’m sorry to say but since then we’ve got totaly wrapped up in the treadmill of global finance.

3 Likes

JO Please don’t tell me that. My vision comes from Johann driving his red woodgas car around the country and that WWII truck that we get to ride in ( on a video ). The old stone buildings, narrow roads that sometimes go between the house and barn, trees abound and beautiful people ( not what you see here at Wallmart) You still heat AND cook with wood and saw your own lumber. I have been in the “rat race” so long you guys simpler lives are very appealing, although I know with my health they are something that I can only dream. Enjoy what you can while you can TomC

6 Likes

Is this the new status you are speaking of??
http://norwegiandefenceleague.info/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=item&cid=14%3Aworld-news-europe&id=169%3Anorwegian-army-chief-european-citizens-can-no-longer-expect-to-live-in-peace-and-security-without-defending-themselves&Itemid=151&preview=1#.VrIDgdIrK1s

Bill, I can’t thank you enough for your help, motivation and plasma cutter this week. I was really starting to get the mid winter Blah’s. Kind of over it for now after seeing some progress. You were absolutely right about my welding helmet. My eyes are really burning today. I will have to get another before doing anymore wrlding. I think I may bring the Dakota in for its ball joints and intake gasket tonight after I take my granddaughter home . Once it is ready I will have to make a trip up to check out your homestead. Take care and stay warm

4 Likes

I can’t wait for your visit Jim.
I got a 5k generator running today but it was only at 53hz. So I will see if I can increase the rpm to affect the hz. If I can make that happen, I should be able to weld here. I just have to change out the receptacle.
I really enjoy your place. You have a big garage, lots of tools and a lot of cool junk. It’s like paradise.
Take care.

3 Likes

It’s a little on the pricey side but I got one of these helmets.
http://store.cyberweld.com/jaweheblinau.html
The main reason I chose this one is it was the least expensive one I could find that had the sensors above and below the lens instead of the Harbor Freight helmet that only has them above. Before I’d wind up blocking them sometimes and getting blinded.
I was really surprised how much better I could see while welding too.

2 Likes

I didn’t know top and bottom sensors existed. So many times, like you said, the one I have has been blocked. Not a bad price to save one’s eyes.

1 Like

No, not at all. Extremists do exist on all flanks, but are not worthy our attention, I think.

I was more thinking of our old famous companies beeing sold out and then moving abroad hunting for cheapest labour. Our mines beeing emptied for free by forign big bucks. Stressed out workers due to higher profit demands from forign owners. Elderly people seeing their pensions cut in half, health care, schools…You name it. Criminality is going up - I wonder why?

25 years ago you could not find a singel begger in our streets. Now the problem seems to be big enough that some provinces made it illeagal to beg. What’s next? Beeing poor is a crime?

While I’m at it:
Rural abandonment.
People are moving into the cities in search for jobs. Hardly even farmers left in some parts of the country side.
In the 70s we were almost self suficient when it comes to food. Today only 30%.
Beef is shipped in from Argentina and Brasil, pork from Germany and Denmark, veggies from Spain and fruit from Chile and South-Afrika.
And milk - we have milk and yougurt from Austria in our supermarkets. Why? It’s good for several mounths??? I would never buy that milk.
I don’t know of any milk cows in a 50 mile radius today. When I was a kid there might have been 50 small farmers with milk cows within that same radius. Our neighbour used to have 10 cows or so. Their calfs sucked our tumbs sore.
Me and my friends used to stand barefoot and hold the electric fence as log as we could. I don’t think I ever won but I did start working as an electrician when I grew up.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link Marvin. That I looks like it nice one, Pretty reasonably priced for a quality helmet. It is not worth going blind to save a c note. I am sure I can sell enough junk that I will never miss to get one.

2 Likes

The company I work for bought my Jackson auto helmet about 16 years ago for $250. It needs to be crushed to stop it.

2 Likes

Okay, the wood shed is taking shape. I was unable to make a friend so I continued with cutting the the small timbers in half with a chainsaw.
Other than a tarp, I don’t know what I can use for a roof. Any ideas?

3 Likes