Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

First of all I am really overwhelmed with all the interest and support i received from people at Argos about our move off grid in northern Minnesota. I thank you all and will continue posting of things I’m learning or experimenting with.
Can someone here help me identify this from a small tree?

3 Likes

Around here, I’d say young Apple or Pear, but I don’t know if you have different trees around you that might look similar.

1 Like

Not sure but Heather thinks choke cherry.

1 Like

Not sure either but that would be my guess as well. I can look in the day light, there are some blossoming around here.

1 Like

I tried a image search and came up with … take your pick !

Dave https://www.google.com.au/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZisVs5OFAQazQ8Wa7qMXXJqdAC53CXRK2iJ2vXbZiE-D4oC2mSEOSc2ZhyWNohNdVTE89HV_1UKXaMO6fCfdKZHvp0oj8pMHuWncl3xU2SScIkP-6FCTLHQ017DI0G4gi35GXh9uU2981clZhihwL7l4mQKQ84L1GWU9shwdObgHvbSudM9JXQ8L_1aB43QjP_1lW6FnZ-K_12y1ViCu4EMinZ_1G4gPiJ2fATmwE3gLxAu-R2uh0qDhQTAwNA62tRl3M9RkRMJkYoeyw-ingF307KDIAE1vhxlROG2VgPNdyeN1pt2M3ErxdMkJjps6mplDBfpZp4vNqn0D7L70vLDXjRfP2Rleu8O3g0aTx9sBvPQFKre5NMckgBS2RoZ2cdNwCyTw1775-h5Lxf9SrVkHXToG18Xvgx-Cq9ioWNKCXQ5NdnBty_1v2tcCxqGal6kvWIq-vIswrEf2GTzgTN1KcVDFimFwCI_1MrOQMKi4XNBqV1m0PTltl1Q-m7guhNQaoYIRX8K0tkl4buCB7p3hOy6_1QDjGZZYdb_1iABvj3MTNQCSyR1xDo1EbL9pD5PA_1pPm3619qI56HYVAWLufssIKWXi8P91PUq5dS98f0T97sXBjyg-QSkmKcQ3BKXSrnK0fY6S2nN2RZJhHhY_1AVh2ydDqWqOujYHUaJjXN1F18APqdPb0PxFxpKXsbhKxZAf7SFlA8EzodhU60qOZGTBpedzwTcHS8TOld3THRRpDnTDTvNovgti-2xBEBCOYYeuKhy9-D_1HtlQe8oIl-6nNaYj114cO0LU65U6bwXn6k_1tBchHm8QxPx0euWTG54er_1Tpe6wCa11CvSHgvTC5_1kPYZhnrtPflk4VUuDsSvl1-72_1aWX3XZwLFujIfWZa164IKArtIofhvIgWjApfKX29Fb9q9V_1AlHb19TN8v7Pb1ajORD_1Rx-ZTZxy_1sXKRPhlLqPsG_1Hwt4p1-U_1xtvVhcYv2Yp7AdUxqrse3Ce2Ong4aQ4auCniRiOzB9viJ3xfJ5CL6SoB4dn_1_17fj_1kqO1bitVkEZnZVxynhiLhnDfy1X-S7XSXN_1ScidGiq4mykVovG0u-vLNKPpBjrCcbAgoS7GVGq9R1kFcFG3uEzwV4dJVjyi7D7oAKUbc3BSioHINKyXQLAw30YqwGM7flTl6VMDwZUeEoiGgTOgSwAeNdn7JgiNclJXCFxvYTAvKoh1LF8ZE3N1ibCvf3IQaGvMFTOWW1HcZW43I5rv023U0OHkSJyYa6jFI3S1-Dr6pRiYhJNgHQcoA_1WhogpwoiJIWFsR4DRO5Eeblov9Bywygh0FxUxbWEUnwPrLEboj6KDjYKv87fOW7lJsx6OJPBYZ9AzfE-5UJcfw3pz8BspZulvxIO5K6Nl2bwkm_16gz70_1U79PE5SGVDnjF0CTenX-wTZjvtoZMnHOVObrUtpJBFfRh1_1t0SLvEJw6CccI4JD2JEdZLf5Qq_1Q4W5CU5zzsFyeMq1vF0mGIOA_1w5RuO9SYqUXPAM2bLIjGSJ_1CZ2hL64Y7K_1CK-u2wKwBI2qxIyHOBNg7Ey6_1QCCpFcGjGqw3fYfzbN40W53bw4&=Search%20by%20image&hl=en-AU

Here is a choke cherry and they are blooming right now

1 Like

Here’s what I have been up to since the day after I came home from Argos. My Son graduated from Basic Training from the Air Force.
We will be visiting again tomorrow and start our travel north.

15 Likes

Bill, if you are driving, and you are in San Antonio, I’m 1 h 20 min (85.5 mi) via TX-130 S and I-10 W N.E. of Lackland AFB. Googlemap 9559 FM1854, 78616. Coffee and Jalapeño poppers and all the Show-n-Tell you can take.

7 Likes

Fine young man, thank you both for your service.

5 Likes

Hello Bill ,

What Al said :blush:

Bill, I think it may have been you that gave the wife a jar of maple syrup . if it was thanks much, it sure was GOOD !

3 Likes

Yes Wayne, it was me. It really is a small token of my appreciation i get from you and this site.
I’m glad you like it.

3 Likes

She said it was a very nice gentleman but at Argos that didn’t narrow the field down any .

Thanks

7 Likes

Finally!
I didn’t want to leave home for 2 weeks after Argos because I had this in the trailer. Well this and so many other projects I’m excited to get working on.
It smokes a bit, so it will also be our mosquito control.

15 Likes

Is that a generator?

2 Likes

Yes, a 10KW I got from @MikeyB when I was in Argos.

2 Likes

Wow !! You guys have the darndest stuff follow you home. Maybe I’ll start pulling a trailer to see if something will follow me. TomC

9 Likes

Right now the generator is only pushing about 55hz. My Kill-a-watt tool just broke so I am unable to adjust. I was able to reach a technician that told me how to adjust the engine after I text him a picture. I YouTubed the repair for the Kill-a-watt and ordered a thermal fuse. I also purchased another unit as it is important to have for me.
@MikeR, i think I heard my chickens thank you for their oatmeal treats. They will run from wherever they are to get some treats. Thanks Mike.

7 Likes

I’m giving the gardens a week of my time, then turning them over to the wife. My friend brought up his old deck he tore up on my trailer. I’m using the good pieces for garden beds. I have 7 made and 6 more in the bucket of the skid steer that will be assembled tomorrow. Next step will be to get some compost from the waste facility in Duluth. Their compost is tested for pH and bacteria before they sell it. I think I may mix it with some soil from our land (and charcoal) before putting in the boxes. We planted some onion, tomato, pumpkin and other seeds before I went to Argos and surprisingly they are coming out of the ground already.
As you can see, he also brought up the skid steer so some road work can also be done.

12 Likes

Looks like you are making some great progress there Bill. My first kill a watt meter didn’t last a day. 100miles later I had another, a must for dialing in your generators. Looks like the mud had dried up some. We have been getting rain almost every day now after a very dry early spring. I nearly doubled my garden size this year and still expanding. Been eating salads now daily along with asparagus. My strawberry blossoms froze twice and are not doing so well, I thought I was going to have them coming out my ears but not so. Seem no matter how hard I work at the garden It never works out as planed. I always do seem to get something but never as planed. If I cant grow anything else my soil seems to be coming along nice. I have to get started on a greenhouse soon you going to try and get one up yet this year? So much to do and so little time.

6 Likes

Jim,
I made these garden boxes this size because a twin bed sheet will cover them up against frost. Mary volunteers at the thrift store and can pick them up.
I have a big list of things I want to do but I’m sure reality will have different plans for me. I put in a request for it to only rain at night, so we’ll see how that goes.
An addition for the wife and a generator/battery shed are the top priorities for me. Okay, a shop too. It’s light until 9:30PM now but the mosquitoes rule everything outside after 8PM.

5 Likes