Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Yes Ron, I see the importance of that this week.
Now I’m really glad I have that chipper for the tractor. I have nothing but time, just gotta do it now.
No matter what the woods hand me, I’ve already had much bigger hurdles I have overcome in my past. I just figure if I only post the sugar coated stuff, it would be deceiving.

6 Likes

And BillS as PaulMcC advises all of that luscious wastes heats blown off of an over-sized water cooled stationary set up can then be no-sun easy used for fuelwood just-in-time-of-need drying down.
Much keep the honey-happy quieter too.
The miniaturization/idealization of each and every step is a false, deceptive dead-end. Just like butchering a large animal if every thing gets used meaningfully in some way there is little to no waste.
S.U.

2 Likes

Happy New Year everyone!
Last night the wife and I had a tbone steak dinner raised by a local farmer, potatoes from the garden. My Son decided he wanted Crab legs. We ate well, stayed warm by the wood we cut and watched a movie with the power we made. No plans to be employed for 2016.
My freedom is being discovered. So much more to accomplish but I feel I’m on my way. I thank all of you for your ideas and suggestions that has helped me get to this point so far.

11 Likes

9 Likes

It may be hard to tell but it 2 hours to clear about 50’. It cleared everything touching the cars. By clearing this I can plow another foot or two on both sides of the road. This will be very important when the March snows arrive. It’s a shame to chip this into the ditch and not chunk it.

9 Likes

@MarvinW

2 Likes

Bill
You can get two different kits for that carburetor. The basic one and one that includes the shaft (maybe a few other small parts too). A float might be needed also if it’s leaking. (Will feel heavy or have fuel inside it)

float
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-FLOAT-IH-100-130-140-200-230-240-330-340-404-424-444-504-/380505713192?hash=item5897e86a28:m:m23yb5xLgk3mVCQbhnznYbw

kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Schebler-BK311-Repair-Kit-IH-200-230-240-330-340-6013-/351577480338?hash=item51dba69c92:g:cuMAAOSwo0JWMixI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-KIT-FLOAT-IH-FARMALL-A-AV-B-BN-SUPER-A-130-140-200-230-240-TRACTOR-/161922050778?hash=item25b34e6ada:g:eyUAAOSwX6VTyqmS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-KIT-FLOAT-IH-FARMALL-140-200-230-240-330-340-404-424-444-TRACTOR-/151851228307?hash=item235b09dc93:g:3akAAOSw2s1UuCF1

4 Likes

Thanks Marvin!
I will probably buy the more complete one.

2 Likes

Hi Bill,
Perhaps you’ve experienced the rumble and slide of the metal roof clearing itself. If not be advised there is a danger zone as you can see in these pics. This can definitely knock you down and out. Slamming the door can sometimes set it off, be careful.

Pepe

4 Likes

Yes Pepe, we’ve had snow sliding off the roof. I have a 10/12 pitch roof so it doesn’t build up very much before it slides off. I have a roof rake just in case we get more than a 12" snowfall. I appreciate your concern.
I thought of you when making my grandson’s sled for Christmas. I cut an 1½" PVC pipe in half for the bottom of the skis to slide easier.

12 Likes

There can’t be a greater gift than that made with love. Happy New Year, All.

9 Likes

Just catching up on the thread bill… So much progress! Did the water ever work out? 1 gallon a minute is not uncommon here they just go to a slow fill reservoir system. I particularly liked the Steve U inspired grid lite concept. I work on a version of that as well here. The solar establishment is calling it grid zero or something like that… Best wishes, David Baillie

2 Likes

David,
Initially it was only 1 gallon an hour. We opted for the hydrofracking and got it up to 5 gallons per minute.
Yes when Steve U brought up the grid lite suggestion, it was assuming power would be on the property. Because we purchased this place with no power nearby, I had to opt for solar if I want to give the generator a break. The solar report stated in the winter months, it should be about 2 hours of sun per day. We are lucky to get 2 hours of sun per week so far. Here’s hoping to a more sunny second half of the winter.

6 Likes

Hi Bill, even 5 gpm. surprises me. I would have thought more up there, with all the snow melt. I have 2 wells in bottom ground, after they drilled, they hooked a 250 gpm pump, and couldn’t pump it down. We are blessed with lots of water. Al

3 Likes

We were able to get a lot of water at 20 feet. Worried about quality of the water and if it would be there during dry times, we decided to drill further. After 20’ was all solid rock. There is where they set and sealed the well casing to. They drilled down to 409’. So yes, the ground water was plenty. Right now I can dig down a few feet in certain areas and get water.

3 Likes

Decided to make a temporary shelter for my wood suppy. Here’s what it looks like at this time. I plan on draping a tarp over it. I decided to try and use the small trees I cleared to build the cabin.
I plan to cut the farthest side down 18" so the water will shed.

3 Likes

I should have said that these wells are about 125ft, water goes through uv light, and charcoal filters, which must do a great job, because we haven’t had to change the water filter on the refrigerator in 3 yrs. water taste good too.

3 Likes

Woke up a little chilly this morning at about 5:30. Went out to the car to start it up and noticed it’s temperature display at -20° F. With the wind chill, we are at -31°.
We successfully survived the coldest night so far. A hot cup of perculated coffee makes things much better.
The coldest NFL playoff game in history scheduled for noon Central time today. Not much that needs to be done outside when it’s this cold, so I will actually watch this game. Go Vikes.
Gotta load up the stove with wood. Have a good day all.

8 Likes

Sun dogs this morning. I think they look pretty cool. I’m not sure if the members in the south have seen these.

8 Likes

They are pretty cool. In fact, they are very cool as they are made from supercooled water droplets. :smiley:

3 Likes