Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Hey Bill, are those black astralope chickens? We have had those for many years, best layers we found. Cut your trees now while the sap is down seasons twice as fast. Your doing great, just keep plugin along. Al

3 Likes

Tom, my plan was s to make the container in the back my shop. Due to not having a generator big enough to weld any more it has been on hold. I found an old 5k as you seen in the video. It has been too cold to start. Tomorrow we may get up to 30° so I will try again. I have a little wood stove and pipe to use. I would also need to cut out a doorway.

2 Likes

Yes Al, I believe they are Black Australorps. They are just now beginning to supply us with eggs.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Birch tree harvesting. It makes sense.

4 Likes

Bill, this is what Dad and I did to help get some more traction out of these standard chains… Stay warm…

4 Likes

Hello Bill, I wish you were a little closer. I have a 10kw deisel jobsite generator I am trying to unload. You know the big enclosed ones you pick up with a hook. I’ve had it ten years, bought two batteries and haven’t needed it once. I could bring it to Argos if you are interested.

2 Likes

I like that @trikebuilder57. I may have to do that when pulling in reverse. When I’m going forward the chains work well.
Mike,
What size trailer would I need?

1 Like

Bill it is just under 3’ x 5’ and about 1,100 lbs . It is called a Whisperwatt 10kw. 3 cylinder Kubota engine I think. I could send you some pics tomorrow.
Take Care, Mike

2 Likes

Bill, According to specs, it uses less than 1 gal/hr. under full load. Hope his helps.

2 Likes

Tractor tires are directional.

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Bill .

Enjoyed the tour but I had to put my jacket on to watch it :grin:

7 Likes

Great potential, and a great start on it. Man, that looks like cold. In Arkansas, snow would be gone in 3 days, and back to normal. I continue to be amazed at the never ending ideas, experience, and support you are getting from this site. A great bunch of folks. You are leading the way, Bill.

3 Likes

Thanks Mr Wayne, we are getting a January thaw this weekend. They’re projecting 32°. I should be able to get some more stuff done outside tomorrow. Had both of my boys here this weekend so got a couple of trees pulled out of the woods.

3 Likes

Yes Carl, you guys are the greatest. There are so many years of experience on this site and everyone keeps me steering straight.

5 Likes

hey bill, I invested in the 180 megs of bandwidth to watch the video. Looks good. I think you have done amazing things in a short period of time. Our 'stead probably looks a little better (not much) but I still have at least a half dozen unfinished projects filling up the landscape. If you are lucky they rotate and keep getting replaced with new ones. What a great way to fill a life!
Best regards, Keep warm, David Baillie

5 Likes

Thanks David,
It truly is a great way to fill life. I have never felt so free. Other than food, heat or water, nothing is really pressing. It’s all about fulfilling ambitions and goals. Each day I can determine what is important to me/us. Some days I choose nothing, usually because it’s too damn cold. Sometimes to give my 3 herniated discs a rest. One gets out what they put into it, in this type of life, direct results are seen everyday.

9 Likes

Bill,

I really enjoyed the video! Makes me think of all the possibilities for our land in the north woods! I plan to drive up to see it once my truck is done…maybe the next summer in 2017. You have lots accomplished there with plenty more to do I’m sure. Hope to see you in Argos…Bryan

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Bill. :smile:

1 Like

$1300 for a wood splitter this size at Northern Tool. A friend of mine sold this to me for $150 with a bad engine. He needed the money to cover funeral costs of his step son. I hauled it home, went to L&M Fleet and for $75, I was able to adapt it to my IH 340. With @MarvinW help of course. Thanks Marvin!

10 Likes

Hello Bill, Here is a pic of the generator we talked about.

5 Likes

Definitely am interested Mike!