Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

always seems to be a april dumping here too. however it has been mild, the grass is green and the tree’s are starting to get green

1 Like

So in the attempt of freeing myself dependence of petroleum, I bought some electric chainsaws. They were sitting on the reburbished shelf. I bought them for cheap. I tested these out on a couple of pallets at work. They have plenty of power. My next video of these will be with my battery bank and inverter.
18" Craftsman chainsaw test.:

1 Like

For your next test, look for a 10" oak log instead of the pallets - a better test of power.

1 Like

@Chris, remind me tonight what you do to make the video show up instead of a link.

Put it on a separate line with no leading spaces.

one thing I do know about cutting hardwood pallets, is that they really do a number on your chain. Not sure why other then its kiln dry hardwood with some random nails!

2 Likes

Thank you the challenge. It actually pushed me to hook up 3 batteries to my cheap inverter to see what I can do. I just made a video and while I was waiting for it to load up, I cut this 25" Burl Oak log on the deep cycle batteries. The pictures are in email land somewhere so here’s the video first.

6 Likes

so how many cookies can be cut bill

Not sure Paul. I have never processed wood that way before. I was just testing out the chainsaw to see if it would work this way if needed.

I got the driveway about 90% complete and the skid steer decided it didn’t want to work anymore. All I have left is about 10 yards of gravel to finish the turn around. Here’s a quick video. We even dragged the camper down and placed it in it’s new location. Now we can set up a homestead.

4 Likes

looks like you have a lot of birch!

1 Like

Yes, there a lot of Birch here. We tapped a couple for the sap this weekend too. I made a tap from a stick for this bottle.

3 Likes

Hi Bill, looks like your making good progress on your new property. I was wondering what is the Birch sap good for?
Gary

Nice driveway Bill. How did the tracks work out on the Bobcat? What happened when it quit?

Great video Bill, just like being there. A homestead indeed, imagine what the first settlers went through. Does that part of the country have “predator” mosquitos?

Gary, the Birch sap can be reduced down into syrup, some even make beer with it. You can also drink it straight. It’s supposed to contain nutrients and minerals. For syrup, it takes 70 gallons to make one gallon of syrup.

Don, the ACS light came on and I wasn’t able to tilt the bucket.
@Carl, I think they are going to change the mosquito to our state bird. If they were to organize like ants, they would carry you away.
Yes, I am grateful to be able to use a skid steer unlike the settlers. But it’s nice to look around the four corners and choose where to put my building.

1 Like

Looking great Bill, but where is the garage/shop?? Up here the city folks that buy property always put up a garage first. The can sleep in the garage, but they can’t work on woodgas stuff in a cottage/ camper. I’m sure you have a ton of work to do to get this place settled and I hope it doesn’t distract too much from you woodgas projects — of which you seem to have many.TomC

2 Likes

Thanks Tom. I’m afraid it getting in my way of wood gas right now. I had to get this up on my priority list f which I believe will be worth it. The garage first is the same with people here in Minnesota too. Because there isn’t any electricity up there for miles, I have to do my welding here at home for now. My priority up there is to have a place to live that can reasonably warm up when it’s below zero degrees. That building will be 12’x16’ or 12’x20’. I want to get this done by fall.

1 Like

Bill will you be putting in a wind or solar system with a bat. bank for electricity? You are living the dream up there. Homesteading my own house from my own land off grid has always been a dream of mine.

3 Likes