Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

My brother has done some birch tapping - sap flow is dependent on weather, probably cool overnight temps. Some years they seem to hardly flow at all. I have tapped what we call Manitoba maples, or boxelder, they produce as good or better syrup than the sugar maple. The pic of the wood looked like our maple. I would give that a shot for sure.

Regarding batteries, I have a setup placed in the ground in a pressure treated plywood box with a water tight lid. If I had more batteries I would probably make a concrete bunker, similar to a root cellar. If water table is an issue, berm earth around set adequately above the water table. I prefer to have batteries outside, especially if they were big, where they can be lifted directly with a tractor. Apparently batteries perform better if not too hot, and as long as they are in the ground, like the potatoes, they should never freeze. Maybe an old deep freeze set in the ground?

Building code may require footings at 5’ to avoid frost, but you would only see frost at 5’ under a driveway (watch out with water lines)… On undisturbed snow covered ground the frost shouldn’t go down much more than a foot, maybe two, depending on snow.

Regards,

Garry Tait, Manitoba

5 Likes

Thanks for the info Garry. I see you’re from ‘Friendly Manitoba’. We are neighbors.
I did a video of a tour of this property of which I think it’s on this thread. On there it shows my well outside. This is for a reason. The county believes if one is to have a well, they need to have a septic system. I choose not to have a septic system at this time. Maybe never if I can figure things out. I pump from the well into 2- 5 gallon jugs. After the jugs are filled, the well drains back. Hopefully in the spring I will have a bathroom and then will fill a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel. We make our own soaps and detergents. So I will use a waste tank from a RV and distribute the gray water throughout my property with my ATV. If this method becomes too difficult, I may then have a septic system.

2 Likes

Excellent advice on the wood issues, Garry!
All of them so true.

3 Likes

Thank you Jan. I am sure the settlers to this country had the same steep learning curve many years ago.

Bill: regarding the septic system, in Manitoba they are now outlawed. A holding tank is the only option, and septic truck services are becoming scarce and expensive. I opted instead for Jenkin’s Humanure Handbook system. In my opinion it is far superior to a flush toilet. If properly covered there really is no smell, which still amazes me. Grey water (used tap and wash water) has the same safety as treated municipal waste water, and can be disposed of into surface water, or drywells, preferably somewhere with a biofilter, marsh or artificial pond. The only issue is scrubbing of toilet pails, pretty basic for the benefits, never having to worry about disposal issues, never needing a plumber.

Yes, we basically are neighbours.

Garry Tait, Manitoba

3 Likes

Bill, with the low value of the Canadian dollar presently, and being end of season, you might be able to get a pretty good deal on a wood stove across the border these days. At the same time you should be able to cut a deal on the double wall stainless flue if you need some.

Garry Tait, Manitoba

2 Likes

It’s stacked. Hopefully it’ll be spaced enough to dry by fall. Either way it’ll be dryer than it is now and it’s all I have and is keeping us warm. After talking to Terry this AM, I will continue to put up wood this summer strategically placed for air flow throughout my property for future needs.

12 Likes

That’s a beautiful thing you’ve created Bill. Good work!

5 Likes

I agree with @Chris.

What sort of joinery did you use at the corners?

Also, did you find some sort of roofing material?

Brian, I’m a terrible videographer so you may have to pause the video to see. I just took a chainsaw and cut 90° corners for connecting logs. Then I just cut flat spots for the angled support logs.

Maybe @Chris can fix? ^

2 Likes

I believe I saw a tamarack in one of your pics from earlier in the thread. (Also called larch). I consider them one of the more valuable species, usually straight as an arrow, excellent rot resistance, preferred for fence posts, and not too bad for firewood. It makes the best fence rails, and mills into lumber equivalent to pressure treated. And it smells nice. Generally where it grows can be best accessed in the winter, and the branches shatter off when felled.

If you have much tamarack, I’m envious. :slightly_smiling:

Garry Tait, Manitoba

3 Likes

Yes Garry we have a lot of it in the lower lying areas. It’s scattered in the higher ground.

That’s a valuable resource. The swamp grown trees seem to have better rot resistance, and less taper in the trunk, lighter branches. Can be tricky to access with machinery, either a fetching arch keeping the tractor on safe ground, or pack the snow as a road with a snowmobile or snowshoes earlier in the winter so the bog freezes to support machinery.

There could be a market in your area for fence posts and rails, tamarack swamp can be pretty productive land money wise, and ecologically very interesting. Just have to avoid stepping in the soft spots 3 or 4 feet deep… :smile:

Garry Tait, Manitoba

3 Likes

It actually solves my fencepost quest. Thanks.

2 Likes

If you have to get into a place with bad ground, it is best to winch out your logs. I bought a Lewis winch for that. It’s small winch that bolts on to your chainsaw and works pretty well. I see them on Craigslist all the time.

3 Likes

You’re welcome Bill, you’ve got a significant asset there.

We peeled the bottom part of the posts, the idea is that it improves decay resistance. Some posts done that way lasted over 20 years, some rails have lasted over 30 bark on - of course it eventually falls off. Some tamarack has corkscrew grain, and can tend to unwind as it dries leading to breakage of screws in rails.

Garry Tait, Manitoba

2 Likes

You might try charring the base of the posts that touch the ground for additional rot protection. I think one is supposed to treat with a drying oil such as linseed or tung as well, but I heard that just “grilling”/charring the outside does wonders as well.

2 Likes

Great info! I have to say I’m relieved to know this.
Gave the IH 340 a workout today. She grunted all the way home pulling these logs. The tires were spinning faster the whole way with chains on. The slightest incline and the tractor was digging.

6 Likes

Nice logs Bill. Next time you should try a real short hook up so you can lift the front of the logs just a little bit with the fast hitch to gain traction and keep the front of the logs from “plowing”

5 Likes

I actually did that Don. If I raised it to high, I wasn’t able to steer very well. I’m really impressed with this little tractor. A little bigger would have been better but no complaints from me. I didn’t have the logs hooked up in this picture, so is a bit misleading. My body is reminding me of my age and bad back but damn, this is fun.

6 Likes

Nice looking ash. Sometimes it can be hard to get a short hookup on multiple logs. A 3 point hitch setup, or hydraulic lift on the tractor does a nice job.

Definitely living the dream, wish that was my day today. :slight_smile:

Garry Tait, Manitoba

2 Likes