Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Handy information to have on hand for wood heaters (and probably gasifiers as well) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/40/02/9c/40029ca64a94cd86879a3d21b45535c3.jpg

9 Likes

Thanks @rustyold36 Jim, for the visit today.
I tend to make things harder than they need to be sometimes. I have a few projects I had mental roadblocks with and you got me pushed through them. All that and I was able to cook some sap down today.
DOW has an unique community of guys with hearts of gold. I can’t wait for Argos.
The last snow fall just started melting yesterday and the three mile road to get to my driveway was a challenge to say the least. Hopefully the next time I get a visitor, I will have it all fixed.

5 Likes

Bill.

I don’t ever know if I will ever be able to make it up that way.

But if I do, I am going to try to make sure it is in August!

4 Likes

Bill the pleasure was all mine. It was a beautiful day for a ride up the north shore and even better to be outside in the woods. You sure found a great place to get away from it all. It has to be the quietest place I have ever been. Make my little homestead seem like the burbs, I guess it is at just a mile to town. Don’t worry about your road I graded it on the way out with the floor pans of my Buick. LOL It would have been worth it if I had to walk from the pavement for Mary’s homemade spaghetti and meatballs. Your place has seen some very drastic changes in a very short time. I am very sure that by next winter It will be very different. It was a big move with no time to prep for winter but you got it done. My hats off to you, many would have given up long ago. You are not a quitter but a doer.

10 Likes

David, I’ve been trying for a week to to find that cooker but the catalog part of the website has been down.

2 Likes

Hey bill, this is atkinson’s us website. I think they don’t list pricing on the big stuff you have to call…
http://www.cdlusa.net/home.aspx

3 Likes

Thanks David, that link worked for me.
I want to figure out how to make a fluted pan.

2 Likes

Had some decent weather and got some work done. There will be a mudroom and the deck

14 Likes

Nice progress, looks good Bill. That dear stand is nice and close to the coffee pot too. I like it.

5 Likes

The coffee pot and warmth. I’m a fair weather hunter. Thanks Jim. I sure am enjoying this 60° weather. The ice has thawed and released my chunker and gasifier. Time for some clean up to make room to work on/with them.
The sun has kept my batteries charged. We only used 2 gallons of gasoline in the past 7 days.

5 Likes

Made a thinking bench with this cheap chainsaw jig my neighbor gave me. The set screws for the blade were rusted in but loosened now.

7 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill

A porch is not a porch with out a thinking bench :grin:

6 Likes

I like it Wayne!
It sure is nice to have tools to make things one can’t buy. It seems the stuff we make for ourselves brings a greater satisfaction no matter how simple it is. The DOW community inspires me for my new life up here, therefore I share what I do on this site.
It truly is a freedom.
Wood gas is coming soon.

8 Likes

Hey Bill .

The chickens have been putting out almost a dozens eggs a day . Below is a picture of a dozen we didn’t eat. :blush:

12 Likes

Did the hen hatch them or an incubator? I can’t keep my hens in the coop long enough. I may try an incubator when I get back from Argos.
Thanks for sharing this Wayne. I really enjoy all this. It’s the way my grandparents lived and I like learning.

3 Likes

Today is another day of learning.
I’m wanting some 4x4’s to build a chicken coop. So after yesterday’s success making a bench, I wanted to figure out the best way to cut 4x4’s.
I had some 1/8" x1" flat bar and am using them to secure these small logs to stumps. That part works well. I sharpened my chain to 10° and even with this, it seem to take twice as long than with a 30°. I used a 1x4 and secure it to the log and the 4x4 ends up 4¼x4¼"

6 Likes

Possibly your rakers are too high bill. Do you have a flat file and a raker guard?

3 Likes

Now that’s what I call a SAW mill.

2 Likes

The hen hatched them and we have 3 more hens setting now :blush:

3 Likes

I have some crazy chickens. They have gone from 4 to two-dozen a day.

We are trying to invent some good Chinese stir-fry recopies.

(for the eggs, not the chickens…for now at least)

3 Likes