Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Yes, In the beginning we can run into town but I plan on paying for satellite internet. My goal will be to stay under $1250 per month for monthly bills. Just unsure about health insurance. That could be a game changer.

Insurance always is the game changer. I will tell you what… If I hit the big Michigan lotto (I have seen it go up over 500 million) I will send you 100 grand each month as your retirement pension. You just have to allow me to come up hunt/fish every now and again.

2 Likes

You don’t need the lottery to come and visit, just a phone call. I will even supply you with enough wood for your trip back. I have a 16’ Tracker and a lot of lakes.

1 Like

What is the closest town to you maybe I will look it up on google maps and see what the mileage is. Would be cool actually to ferry over the big lake, never done that before.

2 Likes

We are 25 miles north of Two Harbors, MN

1 Like

Hey Bill, check out medishare plans, may help.Al

1 Like

I filled it out for a quote. Thanks Al!

700 mile drive from my driveway. 12 hours. thru the UP it would be a nice drive that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Chicken feeder:

9 Likes

Bill,

Those look like white Cornish rocks - mmm, mmm, good eatin’!

On your next batch, pick up some nipple waterers:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/harris-farms-poultry-watering-nipples-pack-of-4

and hook up a gravity feed watering system. A whole lot less trouble than those top-fill galvanized or plastic waterers, plus they can’t poop in the water - they are what they eat. :smile:

Also, whenever it comes time to process, here is how I learned to do it:

5 Likes

Thanks for the video Alex, Joel Salatin very innovative, and interesting man. I have several of his books. All farmers should study this guy’s methods. Lots of common sense. Al

2 Likes

Hi Bill …thought of you when I read this article. Thought you might like it also.

2 Likes

I can see Bill just training for the next Back Country snowboarding event. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I put a mineral block out on a stump I believe the deer have been hanging around before and caught this critter on the game camera.

9 Likes

I need to put up one of those cameras by the end of my driveway to see who keeps stealing my garbage cans.

2 Likes

Great picture Bill. You will have a friend there for sure with a mineral block. How far to water?

2 Likes

Carl, I suppose its about 100 yards away. Lately it’s been raining so much there are puddles all over.
I lowered the camera to see some deer too. I guess it was aimed to high.

Gee @BillSchiller, that sure is a big deer you got there! :wink:

1 Like

I was able to get the skid steer up north this past weekend… not without challenges. This transmission in the 2004 Ram went out half way there at 3AM. Two and a half hours and another vehicle was brought to me and I was back on the road. I hauled about 50 loads of sand and gravel. I leveled an area with sand per @don_mannes suggestion for an area for the next cabin and a storage container carport. The gravel was used to improve the driveway and road.
@MarvinW- do you remember this winter/ spring wanting to know what the round area was on the property when we pulled the satellite map on a hangout? I know now it’s an old stump that I have the mineral block on. It’s at the end of the video. Turns out it’s about 100’ from where I’m building.

7 Likes

Hi Bill, I enjoyed your video, brings back memories. You mentioned shipping containers, where are you getting them, and how much do they cost ? I’ve been looking for a 20 ft. one to bury for a root cellar, and storage, thanks Al

3 Likes