Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Did the same, I like systems that can withstand a chimney fire without burning down the building.

4 Likes

This is the coldest we’ve experienced up here. I think most of my day will be spent indoors. Outside we can hear the trees popping.
Today I am going to hook up the propane fish house heater in the addition to protect the plumbing.
Our temperature at 7:30AM

The above temp is the temp at battery level after 8 hours of the generator running. Very happy about this. The bottom temp is in the house just after an hour of getting the wood stove going this morning.

6 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill

Yesterday we were in the low 70s . Today the forecast is to be in the 40s and too cold for me to function outside.

I think I will fire up one of the trucks , turn up the heater and SWEM :blush:

5 Likes

When we see 40 for a high again, that’s when I can tap the Maple trees. Only 3 months to go.
I had a problem keeping the generator running this morning. It’s supposed to be sunny all day and warm up to -5F. So I will wait to try again then. If it doesn’t stay running, I will have to clean the fuel filter of gel.
We are looking to get 20 F this week starting tomorrow, so fortunately it is short lived.

2 Likes

The best stuff I’ve found for gel problem is HEET in the red bottle not yellow, work fast when fuel is already gelled.

4 Likes

Thanks Al
So if it gels, can it ungel with warmer temperatures. Are you talking about the yellow bottles? How many bottles to treat 100 gallons?

2 Likes

Example; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iso-HEET-Water-Remover-Fuel-line-Antifreeze-injector-cleaner-2820 I think the yellow is for gasoline

2 Likes

Hope all is well. Just a few more days till the first day of winter.

1 Like

Hi Wayne If it was 40 here us northern boys would be worried about getting sun burned. It’s 0 here with about 12 in. of snow.It’s a good day to stay by the wood stove and look out the window.

2 Likes

On a different page, it says “treats up to 20 gallons”, so you’d need 5, though might go with 6 in your harsher conditions.

Amazon has 24-packs for 72.74$USD vs 90$+ on eBay. https://www.amazon.com/ISO-HEET-28202-Fuel-line-Antifreeze-Injector/dp/B00B966CQU?th=1&psc=1

2 Likes

So now I’m a bit confused.
I thought the generator wasn’t running smoothly because of gelled fuel but when I take the load off of it, it runs smooth. So I ran the generator without a load until the inside of the shed climbed to 80 degrees F. I then put a load on it and it did the same thing. I had to set the input amps at the setting I used with the 1800 W Ryobi. The infrequent rpms was when the inverter was trying to charge the batteries.
Maybe because my filter is outside and not in the shed? and it is restricted with gel? Lessons are constantly here to be learned from.

2 Likes

Too bad you didn’t make the shed big enough for the oil tank to be inside. That would also act as a heat sink. Here in Michigan the oil tanks for furnaces were always in the basement to keep from gelling.

3 Likes

Are you sure you are not over loading it. Can you start out with a smaller load and ramp it up? The cold got your batteries down and now its trying to charge at a higher rate?

3 Likes

I was warned against having it indoors due to fires

1 Like

Yeah, I tried that too, to no avail

1 Like

Check for shorts, why it would run with no load vs loaded is not making sense. It shouldn’t pull that much more fuel when loaded. But could be an issue, try restricting the airflow to the engine when its loaded and see if that makes a difference. If it runs better or you see some improvement then this may give you an indication you’re running lean when loading and not getting fuel. This is only something to try,

3 Likes

I say we all just move to Arizona!! :fire:

2 Likes

Bill have you tried disconnecting your inverter all together and used a different load to test the generator and isolate the real problem?

3 Likes

Im wondering if one or more the caps in your inverter popped on you.

3 Likes

The fill pipe and vent pipe terminates outside. I never heard of problems that way.

4 Likes