Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

Using up a couple of free coconut barrels as multi day pig feeders.
When I made the first one on the left, I felt when the pigs are small, they will climb in. I also fear when they’re bigger, it’ll be too small. So the second one I just made bigger and if the little pigs go inside, maybe I can screw a board to restrict them.

2 Likes

The pig pasture is done.
Picking up four feeders tomorrow.

7 Likes

Hi Bill, If you’ve never raised pigs before you will get quit an education of their trickery, and destructive nature, but they are a lot of fun to watch. We had a big sow one time(750lbs.), she would lift the corner of the hog pen then drop it, the sound it made was like a big bass drum. She did that only at feeding time.:grinning:

4 Likes

I fed them when I was a kid on my Grandpa’s farm but nothing since then. I do plan to butcher them all in the Fall. Hopefully will get them to 250+ pounds.

2 Likes

Looks like the chicken has got her grandstand perch picked out

2 Likes

I put the chicken on there as a joke. Chicken bacon ranch

2 Likes

i smoked 12 lbs. canadian style bacon a couple of days ago it turned out really well . I have been reading your sight for along time .You have really done a lot up there. I often thought i would enjoy that life style but never had the nerve to do it.We have got ten acres close to West Branch Mi. heat with wood mostly off the place.I am trying to gasify my old pickup but that is probably as close as I will get. Well good luck with your pigs.Please keep posting what you are doing I really enjoy reading about it. Larry in W.B. Mi.

5 Likes

Bill, missed you the other week. And I always feel sorry for you living way up there in the frozen places working so hard to stay warm.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words Larry. Our impulse move up here set my wood gas truck back about 3 years. I hope to be able to work on it this winter.
@BillyAlabama, No need to feel sorry for me. It is my choice. Sure it gets a little cold up here but we don’t have all the tornadoes, hurricanes, extreme heat or earthquakes. Wood is plentiful and have propane as a backup. The resources are bountiful. We’ll always have water and food. This really is God’s Country in my opinion.

9 Likes

Hi Bill here’s pics of dump trailer, wasn’t sure where to put them so I put them here for future ref. if you build one.

10 Likes

Al, can I borrow it.

Very nice Al. Not sure how the hydraulics work. It seems the ram would almost be horizontal when the bed is down? The trailer I used had a scissor type lift.

The bed, and rams are off of a truck, that’s the way they were on the truck. I had a bigger goose neck dump flat trailer, and that’s the way dual cylinder set ups seem to be. Used engine set up so it can be pulled by farm tractor or others. I may T off the hydraulics to run a log splitter.

3 Likes

I really like the idea of having a small engine mounted in front. Very nice setup Al. Thanks for posting it here.

2 Likes

I deal with A LOT of rocks and clay up here. The wear bar that was bolted on the skid steer bucket broke into three pieces. A friend of mine here said he could get me all the wear bars I want. They come off of the side blade of the county plows. So he brought me five that were sitting in the scrap pile. So I took one and cut it to size and welded it on. These are $140 on eBay. For me, it was a half a day’s work.
I know my welds aren’t pretty but should get the job done.

9 Likes

Hi Bill , just a thought if your man can get you more of the same it would be well worth burning/drilling a few holes into the bucket to bolt them on rather than welding them on as I am sure it will ruin the hardness of the blades getting them hot with welding .

Dave

1 Like

I thought of that. I figured this skid steer is 30 years old already. If it lasts me 20 years, I’ll be happy.
Also, the bucket on here is for a CAT. So if ever a Bobcat bucket follows me home, it’ll be changed out. I do have four more cutting edges here, one of which is going on my snow bucket for the tractor…

1 Like

I leveled up the sawmill this morning. Right now it’s sitting on six 4x6’s with 12 adjustable bolts. When I can, I want to make some long beams to sit on top of the 4x6’s front to back.
I really wanted to fire it up and see what it can do. It seems to cut really well. A bigger engine would be nice but no complaints from me.
I stopped after cutting another 1" board. In the shop to see if I can make a log cant. Picture to follow.

17 Likes

Bill, now your cooking! Is that a big Aspen?

1 Like

Yes, I believe it is. It’s my practice log. I cut it in December. It’s still very green.