Discovering my freedom in Minnesota

If you are patient, this fine fellow will read it to you.

4 Likes

Mike, this is the video I watched to understand what Tom was talking about.

2 Likes

Making use of some slab wood for Christmas presents. This is two of the 30 I made. The excess will be sold at the markets this summer.

14 Likes

Very nice Bill, how did you make the corner joints?

2 Likes

Excellent joinery and finish, it makes the job. I like the “just a bit” of contrasting colors,
however, the roughness might not sell to the public, imho.
Pepe

2 Likes

I think the boxes would be great with potted plants in them. Love the dove tail joints.
Bob

2 Likes

Very nice BillS.
Excellent workmanship. “Mine” can you please add no-hardware-needed, cut-in hand pockets to the two opposing narrow ends for lifting and moving? A real backsaver for those of us needing not to be low stooping anymore.
Regards
Steve unruh
(rope-loop handles would be hardware?)

4 Likes

Al, my neighbor had this jig.
https://www.incra.com/precision_fences-ibox.html

3 Likes

Steve, give me the dimensions you want. :slight_smile: Not sure if I can find more live edge oak with bark still intact that’s been kiln dried. May one with the live edge with apparent sap wood.
I did buy some 1/8" wicker for handles but the wood sides would need to be 1/2" thick to be glued in. Rope might be another good solution.

3 Likes

Here’s the other one I finished today.
This box will be hinged when I can get the hardware.

6 Likes

Thanks for the nice word everyone. Putting the finish on these really pulls the grain out.
The open boxes I used a spar varnish to hold the bark to the wood.
The second box I used Dansih oil for the finish.
@pepe2000, I’m certain if I can come up with a price, people will gobble these up at the markets.

7 Likes

I finished these up today.

14 Likes

Professional quality. For sure to “fly off the shelf”! Nice to see, Bill.

4 Likes

We just received 22" of snow in 24 hours. I used my 2005 Chevy 2500 HD to plow. It did very well. I think the behemoth military plow will be a must using the wing to push the banks out next time. The second picture is after 8" of snow. We were heading to someone’s house to plow out their driveway. We went back today to get rid of the rest of the snow that fell.

11 Likes

I found my snowmobile. Snow machine for you Canadians

15 Likes

Here all this time I thought canadian snowmachines were those things with tracks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Bill, I hit the like button , but it was mostly becuse I’m happy that you’re happy with that white stuff. Just checked the thermometer…high of 69 F today. :relaxed: These pictures make me want to go build a fire.

3 Likes

Once you get on this machine and bust through the snowbanks, you’d hit the like button 100 times. I use it to tug a dog sled around. I will haul wood or sap or whatever else.

4 Likes

I’m sure the machine is fun, and it is just a little cold for the lake today. The warm weather is also making butchering deer a chore these days. Not able to let them hang until it’s convenient.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pictures Mr. Bill. I can tolerate my mud so much better after seeing your snow

8 Likes